U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
A vast majority of those things are just crappy, Hollywood fads that no one takes seriously anyway. If anything, that's more our society's obsession with celebrities than it is truly promoting a healthy lifestyle. Those ads are there to make money, not to truly help people. And I still think that our society tries to cater to people's feelings so that they don't get hurt, rather than actively promoting people to lose weight. The evidence is all around us.

I'm not even talking about the people who might be a little bit overweight (or think they are), I'm talking about the estimated 34% of American adults (plus the # of children) who are considered obese because they have a BMI over 30.

You can still love yourself, but know that you're "fat" and try to lose weight in a healthy manner. I think you're being a little dramatic here because you seem to be implying that if we start telling or encouraging "fat" people to lose weight and lead a more healthy lifestyle, then they're basically all going to turn to unhealthy means to do so, which is simply not the case. You're making sweeping assumptions and generalizations a bit (no offense).
Nope.

People spend BILLIONS on those products - WHY? To lose weight. Is it in a healthy way? No, it's an a desperate attempt (usually). Some of the programs are reasonably healthy. How about Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, Slim-Fast, all the gyms, exercise equipment constantly shown on TV... how else do you think the country should "promote" losing weight... I'm just curious?

By letting fat people know they are too fat?

(and by the way, it's known that young girls start dieting younger and younger nowadays... so many are terrified of getting fat)

Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,108,428 times
Jellybean is dead on, and I know this, having worked with girls with serious eating disorders. I can't recall a time when it wasn't caused by the girl having some ill-conceived notion of what she ought to look like because that's what all the girls in the magazines look like. And also, it's widely known that a lot of models, especially those who model things like underwear, are not healthy, yet our society pushes that image on the most impressionable of people: teenagers. It's disgusting. And what is even more disgusting is those of you who feel that you must devote time out of your day to tell fat people how wrong and unhealthy they are. Honestly, those of you who are doing so should probably spend a bit more time at the end of the day worrying about your own problems, rather than spending so much time and energy telling a certain demographic that they are a burden to society. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Yeah, let's not worry about all the psychological damage we're doing to these folks, let's just make sure they realize that it's VERY wrong to be fat, that way their fatness won't infect the rest of us and destroy our society.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM

692 posts, read 786,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Nope.

People spend BILLIONS on those products - WHY? To lose weight. Is it in a healthy way? No, it's an a desperate attempt (usually). Some of the programs are reasonably healthy. How about Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, Slim-Fast, all the gyms, exercise equipment constantly shown on TV... how else do you think the country should "promote" losing weight... I'm just curious?

By letting fat people know they are too fat?

(and by the way, it's known that young girls start dieting younger and younger nowadays... so many are terrified of getting fat)
Yes, people do spend billions of dollars on such products (they're duped most of the time), but nonetheless, my point still holds true. These products are there, first and foremost, to make money. Period. Do you honestly think the majority of these fads really care if the people lose the weight or are promoting a healthy lifestyle? No, and again, they're there to make money. Now, I'm not saying all of these are like this, but the vast majority definitely are.

Well, first off, I would probably target the children first (as they are the future). Get rid of all the junk food. I'd take all the vending and soda machines out of the schools, make sure that the meals that the schools provide are healthy and not the usual junk/gruel that they usually feed them, and I'd teach them all of the facts in school (yes, I know everyone studies the food pyramid and all that stuff at some point, but I'd actually make it an important part of young children's education and actively encourage them to lead a healthy lifestyle). Second, the government should be pressuring the food industry/companies to provide healthier and more nutritional products to everyone. Third, introduce a tax to make all the crappy junk food more expensive than the healthy stuff (like how cigarettes are expensive because they're bad for your health; same should apply here). That should slow down the amount of consumption of all the crap and at least start to get things under control. Other countries do it, Japan comes to mind, and America is the fattest country on earth, so why not us? Fourth, why not put ads on TV promoting healthy lifestyles (eating healthy foods, exercising normally, etc.). We have space for the useless dieting fads which don't work and steal people's money, so why can't we have these instead?

Also, I'm just curious, what would you propose we do? Nothing? Just let people keep on ballooning out of control until we're a nation of umpa lumpas? 34% of adults are already considered obese and it's estimated that between 16% and 33% of children and teens are obese (and God only knows how many people are overweight, but not yet obese). We need to stop sugar-coating everything and give people the facts and the reality that being "fat" is not alright and realize that it is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed in this country and that we've beat around the bush too much already.

Maybe they start dieting earlier today because the levels of childhood obesity are the highest that they have ever been in the history of this nation/world.

Last edited by CityLover9; 10-16-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
And what is even more disgusting is those of you who feel that you must devote time out of your day to tell fat people how wrong and unhealthy they are. Honestly, those of you who are doing so should probably spend a bit more time at the end of the day worrying about your own problems, rather than spending so much time and energy telling a certain demographic that they are a burden to society. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Yeah, let's not worry about all the psychological damage we're doing to these folks, let's just make sure they realize that it's VERY wrong to be fat, that way their fatness won't infect the rest of us and destroy our society.

I actually don't devote time out of my day 99.99% of the time to "tell fat people how wrong and unhealthy they are". This is the only exception and as this is a discussion board and the topic at hand is what it is, it's kind of the point (to discuss the serious issue, not calling out "fat" people). It's not like we're going out of our way to tell people they're "fat" in our everyday lives (at least I don't). Secondly, I do worry about my own issues and problems at the end of the day thank you very much. Maybe you should take your own advice. I'm not saying that your experiences are faulty, but the problem with your entire post is that you seem to believe that if we as a society start to promote a healthy lifestyle, then all of the "fat" people will turn to unhealthy means in order to lose weight. As I previously stated, this is simply not the case. Will some do so, unfortunately, probably yes, but for majority, probably no. And it's not like these problems would just suddenly appear, they've been present for years.

Last edited by CityLover9; 10-16-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Jellybean is dead on, and I know this, having worked with girls with serious eating disorders. I can't recall a time when it wasn't caused by the girl having some ill-conceived notion of what she ought to look like because that's what all the girls in the magazines look like. And also, it's widely known that a lot of models, especially those who model things like underwear, are not healthy, yet our society pushes that image on the most impressionable of people: teenagers. It's disgusting. And what is even more disgusting is those of you who feel that you must devote time out of your day to tell fat people how wrong and unhealthy they are. Honestly, those of you who are doing so should probably spend a bit more time at the end of the day worrying about your own problems, rather than spending so much time and energy telling a certain demographic that they are a burden to society. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Yeah, let's not worry about all the psychological damage we're doing to these folks, let's just make sure they realize that it's VERY wrong to be fat, that way their fatness won't infect the rest of us and destroy our society.
Thank You.

CityLover9 and i are on two different pages with this. They still think that perhaps the children are dieting "because the levels of childhood obesity are the highest that they have ever been in the history of this nation/world." I could start to explain how dieting can LEAD to obesity, but i wont even try.

For those who want the govt to have more involvement in the lives of people, address that - and see if you can have them work on the foods that are allowed in the stores. See how the major food companies will like being told what to promote. (If you think the DIET companies make big money!) I do see plenty of healthy foods everywhere i look, by the way. The junk foods are there too - and i'm all for taxing them, but see how the majority of the public feels about that. (I agree with teaching nutrition in school, i dont know how much they teach it nowadays.)

They just tried to have a "soda tax" in Philly i think it was - and the people went crazy against it. And to me, soda is practically poison!

I dont think there's really anything else to be said. Write the govt and let them know that you are tired of fat people thinking it's OK to be fat.

And to the poster who discussed The View and Oprah, write them and let them know, too! Oh, and there's a show called The Biggest Loser, if you wanna see big huge people forced to exercise til they vomit sometimes, and practically starved so they can lose 14 lbs a week - enjoy!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,809,137 times
Wow has this thread really gone off topic.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thank You.

CityLover9 and i are on two different pages with this. They still think that perhaps the children are dieting "because the levels of childhood obesity are the highest that they have ever been in the history of this nation/world." I could start to explain how dieting can LEAD to obesity, but i wont even try.

For those who want the govt to have more involvement in the lives of people, address that - and see if you can have them work on the foods that are allowed in the stores. See how the major food companies will like being told what to promote. (If you think the DIET companies make big money!) I do see plenty of healthy foods everywhere i look, by the way. The junk foods are there too - and i'm all for taxing them, but see how the majority of the public feels about that. (I agree with teaching nutrition in school, i dont know how much they teach it nowadays.)

They just tried to have a "soda tax" in Philly i think it was - and the people went crazy against it. And to me, soda is practically poison!

I dont think there's really anything else to be said. Write the govt and let them know that you are tired of fat people thinking it's OK to be fat.

And to the poster who discussed The View and Oprah, write them and let them know, too! Oh, and there's a show called The Biggest Loser, if you wanna see big huge people forced to exercise til they vomit sometimes, and practically starved so they can lose 14 lbs a week - enjoy!
The government shouldn't tell people what to eat.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wow has this thread really gone off topic.
This is true It was off-track back in June - but i guess it got back on, then went off again...

We should get back on track...

Which was... "Stop Calling Plump Women Curvy."

(oh boy)

Old 10-16-2011, 11:09 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Someone mentioned a 52-33-43 as curvy. That is not curvy,that's not even a 0.7 waist to hip ratio. That's an apple shape,which to me is not curvy. Just because someone has large breast doesn't mean they are curvy. Pear shapes are more curvy than apple shapes.
I thought its the classic 0.7 ratio that determines curvy,whether its a 36-30-44 or 36-24-36

Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Just a couple of points:

1) I never said that the government should "tell" people what to eat or that they (the gov't) should remove and ban all the junk food (except maybe in the schools, but it would still be available everywhere else). What I said was, I think that there should be a tax on the junk food therefore making it more expensive than the healthier foods. The junk would still be available, but it should be more expensive because it is bad for people's health (just like cigarettes are).

2) I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate the severity of the problem in our country. Obesity rates among adults are are 34%..... 34%, that's insane!!! Plus, there has been a major spike in the last 20 years! The rates are the highest that they've ever been! If there was ever a time to act, it is now. The longer we wait, the more things will balloon out of control. I asked one poster what they would have us do and since I never really got a response, I guess their answer is we should do nothing. Well, like I said, that's not going to work and things will only continue to get worse. I guess we'll just have to wait until a majority of people are obese until maybe we start to consider some course of action, because we wouldn't want to hurt people's feelings. In the meantime, America will continue to be the fattest nation on earth and we can pretend that there isn't an obesity endemic in our nation I guess.

3) I know this is a touchy topic so maybe I've just hit a few sensitive nerves of a few people for whom this is perhaps a "personal" issue. Oh well, can't please them all.

See you around.

Last edited by CityLover9; 10-17-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty