U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Just a couple of points:

1) I never said that the government should "tell" people what to eat or that they (the gov't) should remove and ban all the junk food (except maybe in the schools, but it would still be available everywhere else). What I said was, I think that there should be a tax on the junk food therefore making it more expensive than the healthier foods. The junk would still be available, but it should be more expensive because it is bad for people's health (just like cigarettes are).

2) I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate the severity of the problem in our country. Obesity rates among adults are are 34%..... 34%, that's insane!!! Plus, there has been a major spike in the last 20 years! The rates are the highest that they've ever been! If there was ever a time to act, it is now. The longer we wait, the more things will balloon out of control. I asked one poster what they would have us do and since I never really got a response, I guess their answer is we should do nothing. Well, like I said, that's not going to work and things will only continue to get worse. I guess we'll just have to wait until a majority of people are obese until maybe we start to consider some course of action, because we wouldn't want to hurt people's feelings. In the meantime, America will continue to be the fattest nation on earth and we can pretend that there isn't an obesity endemic in our nation I guess.

3) I know this is a touchy topic so maybe I've just hit a few sensitive nerves of a few people for whom this is perhaps a "personal" issue. Oh well, can't please them all.

See you around.
We are taxed already to death and now you want more taxes? Why should I pay more to eat junk food,as if that's gonna make someone eat healthier? Trust me,if someone wants something really bad,they will pay for it.
With unemployment at a high rate,with expenses going up and very little jobs,you want to added expenses for people getting poorer by the day,people just trying to survive?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
I always wondered about this obesity epidemic. I don't think it has to do with junk food and overeating. Its probably about hormones allowed in the food supply.
Also,my personal belief is that people are bigger because they just don't move around more.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 AM

692 posts, read 786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
We are taxed already to death and now you want more taxes? Why should I pay more to eat junk food,as if that's gonna make someone eat healthier? Trust me,if someone wants something really bad,they will pay for it.
With unemployment at a high rate,with expenses going up and very little jobs,you want to added expenses for people getting poorer by the day,people just trying to survive?
I've lived in 6 countries (including several in Europe and Japan), and compared to these places we are not "taxed to death" at all. You want to see astronomical taxes? Go live in some of these countries and then you'll truly see what "taxed to death" can mean. In fact, the USA is the cheapest developed nation to live in. Yes, some people will still buy the junk even if it's more expensive, but also a lot (most) of people will stop (or at least reduce) and the levels of obesity will decline. This is especially true if the junk food would cost more than the healthy food, and not vice versa.

Again, yes I agree in the sense that this is a very difficult economic time, but the economy will recover and like I said, compared to other developed nations, the USA is still a steal. Anyone who has traveled extensively internationally can tell you that...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM

692 posts, read 786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I always wondered about this obesity epidemic. I don't think it has to do with junk food and overeating. Its probably about hormones allowed in the food supply.
Also,my personal belief is that people are bigger because they just don't move around more.
Imo, it's a combination of all of the factors you listed (& maybe even some more). So, now that we have identified some of the problems, the question is, what are we going to do to try and solve them? That's what I've been trying to do, but I guess some people just don't want to recognize the problem and/or come up with any solutions to help solve them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty