Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 PM

26 posts, read 40,727 times

Advertisements

How are women who voluntarily shave their heads treated? Will employers likely not hire a woman with a shaved head? I plan on shaving my head after I move away from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Honestly, probably not favorably. Many people will probably either think you're sick or think of you as "butch".

Back in the day in high school, I gave myself a close to the scalp buzz-cut (don't ask me why), and people either thought I was a guy or straight-out made fun of me. Don't know how different it'd be for an adult; the comments probably more subtle but still there.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
Any specific reason you plan to shave your head?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
You might want to get the job before you shave your head as perspective employers tend to shy away from people outside the norm..
And you may as well tell us why you are doing this as it will be one of the first questions you will be asked on a job interview.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
my first question would be why shave your head? is it as a "statment" or simply because you like the look?

and are we talking just short or are we talking britney spears cue ball shaved?

if its because you like the look and you have the head shape/face shape to pull off a realy close cut, i think it can lok stunning (im particularly fond of a short shave (but not completly shaved) on some wome, african american women seem to pull this look off very well...

but i do think it would depend on how you pull it off...if it works for you and you have a nice head for it (you have to have the right head to go extreemly short) then i dont think people would realy notice as much...

but cue ball or dont have the right shaped head for it there either going to think cancer/ill or might think your a little too "quirky"

your feild of employment might also dictate too, if you work in a hiip or artsy scene it might be no problem, whereas in a conservative work situation you might not stand a second look...

in terms of "pulling it off.

natalie portman and Alek Wek can pull it off...britney spears cant...

Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM

26 posts, read 40,727 times
I'm going to shave it because it's something I really want to do.

I am butch, I have short hair like a guy already, it's just not buzzed short.

I have no idea if I have the head shape for it or not and I don't really care if I do, it's something I really want to do.

If I like it I plan on keeping it buzzed for a long time, I just still want to be able to get jobs other than working at Wal-Mart, etc.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
I'm going to shave it because it's something I really want to do.

I am butch, I have short hair like a guy already, it's just not buzzed short.

I have no idea if I have the head shape for it or not and I don't really care if I do, it's something I really want to do.

If I like it I plan on keeping it buzzed for a long time, I just still want to be able to get jobs other than working at Wal-Mart, etc.

Go for it!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And you may as well tell us why you are doing this as it will be one of the first questions you will be asked on a job interview.
That is completely false... not only would that be too personal/prying for an interview, I think it could be grounds for a lawsuit. For all they know she has cancer, in which case they'd be violating laws against medical privacy & discrimination based on disability. So to the OP, do whatever you want - it's none of their business, and your other qualities should either get you the jobs or not. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
What are your qualifications for employment? Depending on the industry you might be able to pull it off. Might not.

Last edited by Ceece; 12-24-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
FWIW, I work in a professional field (librarianship), and can recall working with two ladies who had bald heads... one was fighting cancer, and the other was a beautiful black woman. Obviously the one with cancer had no choice, but I think the other lady looked great! Although like the other poster said, it really depends on your head & personal appearance - it could either look good or bad, but who cares? It's your hair and your life, just be prepared for some people to judge unfairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty