U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be happy if a loved one got many TATTOOS all over their body?
Tattoos are cool, I would be happy if my family got them 0 0%
Having a Tattoo is a personal choice, it is their choice 31 81.58%
I would be hurt and upset if someone in my family got TATTOOS 4 10.53%
I would cut off and disavow anyone in my family who got a TATTOO 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times

Advertisements

Ps. I've seen a few posts regarding tattoos and jobs. While I'm sure some people still do it, technically discrimination is illegal. An employer only has the right to tell an employee to remove anything that can be removed (i.e. piercings, hair color, etc.) however, they cannot discriminate against someone with tattoos as it is a permanent marking. In certain circumstances, I believe they are allowed to request that they cover certain ones, however, I'm not positive. But YES, it's illegal to discriminate against it...research it.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
I can't understand someone getting so emotional over an adult child of theirs getting a tattoo...especially disowning a child over it.

People need to get a grip.

I'm not into them but honestly if my daughter gets to be an adult and gets a tattoo, it wouldn't even come up as a problem to discuss...there are serious things to worry about.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,217,198 times
I voted that this is their option, and I have two 20 something sons. Depending upon the tattoo, I might have something to say to them though. I'm not a parent who is afraid to offend my kids, much to their chagrin (and one occasionally is a poster within this forum).

Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 AM

7,047 posts, read 15,987,444 times
One thing is FOR SURE, many Corporate interviewers don't like them and can/do choose not to hire people that have very visual tattoos showing. Call it what you want, discrimination or whatever. But, if a person gets an interview and the interviewer notices any tattoos and you don't get a call back after the interview, how will you ever know if it's your job qualifications, amount of salary your asking for, length on jobs or the "noticeable" tattoos are the reason your not getting the call back/offer for the job. Even the way a person dresses for an interview can turn away a potiential job offer.

Personally, I don't care for tattoos......and I was in the Navy for a number of years and didn't get any. And, my wife is extremely glad that I don't have any. But, if I had a daughter or son (not living with me) decided to get a tattoo, I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't "disown" the kid either. Just like if the kid decided to take up smoking (wife/I don't smoke), what can we do???? Just NO smoking in our house or around us.......that is just respecting our feelings. My wife has asthma and can not handle being around anyone smoking at any time.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
Unhappy How about this one....

Here is my story....huh..
I made a "deal" with my son, that when he turns 18, and still wanted a tatoo, I would go with him (can't judge or tell him "no", since I got one myself!).
The agreement was, for him to get a rather small one on his back/ shoulder, and I would have a say in the design. (You know, if you can't fight them, join them??? LOL)
I just wanted him to get some more time in, to make up his mind, think it over.
Well, he was 16 at the time.
He was almost 17 when he moved in with his dad.....and shortly after got a big tatoo on his forarm (underneath) spelling out the last name of his father!
Well, it is pretty sick, knowing exactly WHAT motive was behind it. My ex-husband and I are still at war, mainly because he was never a good father, nor was he ever around (but of course, if you ask him, he makes it sound like he deserves the father of the year award! LOL)
My son's last name is legally and in actuality MY maiden name, and that NEVER sat well with my ex.
So....can you put two and two together now????
So, now my son is walking around, with someones last name tatooed on his forearm for the rest of his life. (Almost like a "cattle" branded, belonging to a farmer "claiming" posession. )
Exactly what I had tried to avoid,and to spare him with, my ex undermined.
With few exeptions does society STILL judge about the appearance of an individual, no matter what personality or skill one posesses.
I have tried to tell my son that, prepare him for the future.........but, it wasn't to be.
I was shocked at first, but came to the conclusion that I did my best, my ex sabotaged the whole thing, and my son has to live with it now for the rest of his life.
Nothing more I can do.........
I can't, don't, and would have never dis-owned my son because of it, making him pay for his fathers idiotic and manipulative "payback" ideas.
And, even if it wouldn't have been his fathers fault...getting a tatoo is not enough major reason for me to cut lose my own flesh and blood !
But, everyones point of view, reasoning and circumstances are different. That's just my story, and what I had to deal with.
Totaly different circumstance and twist, isn't it?

Last edited by MB2; 07-16-2007 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Ps. I've seen a few posts regarding tattoos and jobs. While I'm sure some people still do it, technically discrimination is illegal. An employer only has the right to tell an employee to remove anything that can be removed (i.e. piercings, hair color, etc.) however, they cannot discriminate against someone with tattoos as it is a permanent marking. In certain circumstances, I believe they are allowed to request that they cover certain ones, however, I'm not positive. But YES, it's illegal to discriminate against it...research it.

Can you give any links that prove that? I am pretty sure that protection from discrimination is currently limited to age, disability status, national origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy and childbirth), and veteran status*. I have seen some cases that have involved tatoos/employers, but it looks as if most of them have turned out in favor of the employer, not the employee. And it's not the tattoo itself that brings up the discrimination issue- IF the tattoo is required by the person's religion, it becomes a question of religious discrimination, not body art discrimation.

*I work, in part, for USDA, and veteran status is covered in our protected groups, but I don't always see it listed as a protected group in other organizations/agencies. Not sure why..

Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
I am not a great fan of tatoos but it is a personal choice and nothing to do with me. I would be a tad worried about very visible tatoos ( face, neck, hands etc...) as it is harder to get certain jobs and people do judge you by them so I would tell my kids those facts but sometimes they just have to make their own mistakes. Some of the loveliest and kindest people I have met have had tattoos ( including a chap who had his entire body covered in "leopard spots2 tattoos, so I try to be open minded about it. I think you always worry about your kids but at least nowadays you can have tatoos removed should you come to regret your decision. It's not the end of the world. I would prefer if they went for temporary ones though and would try to steer them in that direction. Same with piercings, I am not keen on them either but not my right to stop anyone from doing it ( unless I think it is dangerous for their health).

Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
WOW, I must be the only one who watches the plastic surgery shows...

No one has to live with a tattoo the rest of their life...they can be removed.

I'm not fond of tattoos...AND I am really affraid of needles.

I met a man at Disney one time, he was covered in Disney tattoos, he didn't fit the so called type of person with tattoos...you just can't judge someone that way.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM

25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times
a little one here, and there doesn't bother me, but personally, a lot of tattoos do...
and so, my answer is, it is totally their choice, and no, I wouldn't ban them from the family, but I wouldn't like it...(silently)

It's personal preference I suppose...and I don't believe tatoos make a person bad...it's just that they weren't thinking....usually, when they get older, they don't like them either...and they now wish they were stick on's.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM

14,939 posts, read 10,006,042 times
I remember when my son was around 10 yrs old and asked me if he could have a tattoo. I said "sure first one is a fly on your nose" and if you really like it, we will talk about more. He realized how awful that fly on the nose would look and never asked me again. I would never disown him for body art but I'm not fond of tattoo's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or