U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you be happy if a loved one got many TATTOOS all over their body?
Tattoos are cool, I would be happy if my family got them 0 0%
Having a Tattoo is a personal choice, it is their choice 31 81.58%
I would be hurt and upset if someone in my family got TATTOOS 4 10.53%
I would cut off and disavow anyone in my family who got a TATTOO 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Rocket City, U.S.A.
1,806 posts, read 4,994,320 times
Reputation: 843

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Ps. I've seen a few posts regarding tattoos and jobs. While I'm sure some people still do it, technically discrimination is illegal. An employer only has the right to tell an employee to remove anything that can be removed (i.e. piercings, hair color, etc.) however, they cannot discriminate against someone with tattoos as it is a permanent marking. In certain circumstances, I believe they are allowed to request that they cover certain ones, however, I'm not positive. But YES, it's illegal to discriminate against it...research it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Can you give any links that prove that? I am pretty sure that protection from discrimination is currently limited to age, disability status, national origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy and childbirth), and veteran status*. I have seen some cases that have involved tatoos/employers, but it looks as if most of them have turned out in favor of the employer, not the employee. And it's not the tattoo itself that brings up the discrimination issue- IF the tattoo is required by the person's religion, it becomes a question of religious discrimination, not body art discrimation.

*I work, in part, for USDA, and veteran status is covered in our protected groups, but I don't always see it listed as a protected group in other organizations/agencies. Not sure why..





Yeah - I think that's reaching a bit - and I'm tattooed (and pierced).

We aren't born with tattoos like we are a skin color or physical disability. It isn't the same argument.

I removed/retained/covered up for employment and without any grumbling...

 
Old 07-17-2007, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Rocket City, U.S.A.
1,806 posts, read 4,994,320 times
Reputation: 843
Drama, Conflict, Despair & Victory at Work: Body Piercings, Tatoos, Hairstyles, Fashion Statements"Employment Law Blog">$BlogDescription$>"Orange County Employment Lawyer Analyzes Twists of Law"
 
Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Rocket City, U.S.A.
1,806 posts, read 4,994,320 times
Reputation: 843
Employment Discrimination: Be Careful What You Sue For [Guest Column]
 
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,783,630 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Can you give any links that prove that? I am pretty sure that protection from discrimination is currently limited to age, disability status, national origin, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy and childbirth), and veteran status*. I have seen some cases that have involved tatoos/employers, but it looks as if most of them have turned out in favor of the employer, not the employee. And it's not the tattoo itself that brings up the discrimination issue- IF the tattoo is required by the person's religion, it becomes a question of religious discrimination, not body art discrimation.

*I work, in part, for USDA, and veteran status is covered in our protected groups, but I don't always see it listed as a protected group in other organizations/agencies. Not sure why..

Actually, no, I cannot provide you links. I also agree with what LoveBoating said previously, you wouldn't know if you were discriminated against if you never got a call back. However, I've worked on and off in the legal field for years (not that the length of time matters) but that is what I learned from a former employee. Just repeating what I was told, don't shoot the messenger .
 
Old 07-20-2007, 05:37 AM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,564,608 times
Reputation: 2688
Red face This is just my observation..... :o

If a person has numerous, visible tatoos, and applies in a work place where it acually "fits" in (tatoo parlor, hip and edgy clothes store, some beauty salons, HD Shop...etc) I am sure no one in the clientel would have a problem with it, and it's somewhat "expected".
If that same person applies at a different place, and is being rejected, I would assume that it would be very, very hard to pin-point on exactly what the reason was, the possible employment failed on.
What I am trying to say here is, making the bold statement (I have witnessed it first hand!) that if an employer doesn't WANT to hire you, because of the tatoos or other reasons, they just won't tell you, but "make something else up" (not qualified enough, not the right quality...etc.)
It's tricky to actually proof, that it was all based because of the tatoos, and just assuming on that, doesn't and would never hold up.
Employers still have the power to hire, not hire, and which person the job will actually be given to....no explaination needed, since you can't "make" them hire anybody, if they don't want to.
I know also, that there are certain laws to "protect" employers and employees. But, I noticed that a lot of employers just bend some of them on a "as needed basis".
Do I see this wrong???

Last edited by MB2; 07-20-2007 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: add
 
Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,891 posts, read 5,147,714 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Actually, no, I cannot provide you links. I also agree with what LoveBoating said previously, you wouldn't know if you were discriminated against if you never got a call back. However, I've worked on and off in the legal field for years (not that the length of time matters) but that is what I learned from a former employee. Just repeating what I was told, don't shoot the messenger .
Not at all- I just need facts! (And I am currently preparing for a civil rights review at work, so am probably more apt to question any civil liberties statements, especially if I'm not sure they are exactly accurate. I feel like it's a final exam or something!)
 
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 13,713,973 times
Reputation: 3338
My concern would be have they thought about the permanance of a tat? My husband has a tat. He was in the Navy for a year so I wasn't surprised but he doesn't "show it off". It's on his arm and he doesn't like wearing sleeveless attire. He does work in a corporate environment (well, sort-of anyway) but it's not like anybody can see it.

If the kid was artsy and lived that "lifestyle" were tats weren't a big deal then hey, I'd be cool with it. But if they are doing it because "all their friends are doing it" and haven't really thought about the reprucssions of their actions, then I'd be upset. What are you gonna do though? You can't get too upset, the damage is already done and the kid is over 18. You live you learn.
 
Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Lancaster
20 posts, read 79,788 times
Reputation: 13
being a person who has a lot of tattoos you'd think i'd encourage them and such, but like it's been said before, tattoos are permanite, and i hope before my kids get any they come to me and ask for some suggestions and such... i'd rather have them think it over and really make a good decision.

i know i'll be on my son's case about it, but i only want him to make the right decisions, no gang tats and tings that are going to draw negative attention to him, and for my daughter is going to be a different story, i don't want my beautiful flower to get any tattoos unless she's really thought had about it... i know if she comes home with a tat i'll be upset, but it's her body and being the understanding guy who's made his share of mistakes, i'll accept whatever she gets, her and my son will always be the same people inside.
 
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Lancaster
20 posts, read 79,788 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandbee View Post
being a person who has a lot of tattoos you'd think i'd encourage them and such, but like it's been said before, tattoos are permanite, and i hope before my kids get any they come to me and ask for some suggestions and such... i'd rather have them think it over and really make a good decision.

i know i'll be on my son's case about it, but i only want him to make the right decisions, no gang tats and tings that are going to draw negative attention to him, and for my daughter is going to be a different story, i don't want my beautiful flower to get any tattoos unless she's really thought had about it... i know if she comes home with a tat i'll be upset, but it's her body and being the understanding guy who's made his share of mistakes, i'll accept whatever she gets, her and my son will always be the same people inside.

by the way, reading the posts above mine, i just want to throw it out there that i have full tattooed sleeves and i work in a professional environment, i just wear long sleeves for respect to my co-workers and clients... my boss and fellow co-workers think they are cool and respect the fact that i don't show them off 24/7 and that the tattoos i have can be covered...

when i went in for my interview i wore long sleeves (i think if you are discrete about it, then an employer shouldn't fire you b/c of your tattoos)

but then again, this topic deserves it's own thread.
 
Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Sheffield, England
2,639 posts, read 5,930,413 times
Reputation: 3249
The way I see it, as an adult it is their own choice. What I would do though is encourage them to either come up with a design themselves or go to a tattoo artist and have them help them come up with a design. I only say this because a tattoo is supposed to be an individual thing and is most likely going to be a part of them for the rest of their lives. Generally a tattoo is a lot easier to warm to and you're a lot less likely to tire of it if you came up with the design yourself as it would be a sign of individuality. On the other hand if you just go to the shop and choose something out of the book then lots of other people will probably have that design too and it won't be unique to you. Also make them bear in mind how large the tattoo will be and where they want it on their body because it's no use having an introvert who is very shy and likes to keep to themselves go out and get two sleeves done because naturally people will look at and pay much more attention to them. However if I had an (adult) kid and they wanted to get a tattoo done then, providing they'd given it adequate thought and it wasn't just on a whim, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top