Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be happy if a loved one got many TATTOOS all over their body?
Tattoos are cool, I would be happy if my family got them 0 0%
Having a Tattoo is a personal choice, it is their choice 31 81.58%
I would be hurt and upset if someone in my family got TATTOOS 4 10.53%
I would cut off and disavow anyone in my family who got a TATTOO 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,380 times

Advertisements

If it were a small one on the ankle or something, I would be a hypocrite if I got upset. If they did it all over, I would kick their a**, I don't care how old they are - tats all over would mean I didn't kick it enough when they were younger

Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
My 16 year old grandson got two on his left arm..Not pretty at all.... His dad who does not have custody took him for the tattoos......My grandson regrets getting them now.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
My oldest has three now. One huge one on his calf, and one on each of his forearms. I am not happy about them, and when he asks me how i like them, I honestly tell him I do not like them, and that he already knows so why keep asking?

He is over the age of 18 and I cannot stop him from them, nor the piercings he has, but when he started with the gauages in the ears, I flat out told him that if he had any desire to work in an establishment other than a factory or construction firm he might want to rethink the guages. He took them out, thankfully. The small earrings I can handle, but not the other.

He says it is not right to be judged on appearances, and it is not, but that is how our society is and I do not see it changing in the near future around here.

Employers can decide to not hire a person for many reasons, but know the rules of discrimination as well as anyone and will find a legal term if needed to base why they do not hire someone. If one is working in a food environment then I can tell you, it is against regulations to wear certain piercings. I would think that this might cross over to the medical field as well.
Piercings of the tongue have been said to be very nasty and can trap bacteria easily so that would not be conducive for these type settings, and I can't see any corporate company hiring someone who wears an earring in their tongue, on their brow, or lining their ear, especially if that someone is male.

I could be wrong about this in larger cities, but around here, it is not going to happen. And, there is no use getting upset when you don't get the job you want because of it.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A friend of mine is very upset with their 22 year old son who lives out of State. He came home for a family visit with a number of highly visible Tattoos all over his body. He is quite proud of them but the parents are shocked and saddened.

During their fight about it, the son told the parents that all his friends have Tattoos and all the parents were happy about it. Would you be happy if your Adult Children got a number of highly visible Tattoos?
mark of the beast.
dont do it.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
mark of the beast.
dont do it.
stephen s
san diego ca
BWAHAHAHAHAHA.. or sorry your serious. I thought that was a joke.. my bad.

No my dear God fearing person.. it is not the mark of the beast. Read your bible would ya.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
A friend of mine is very upset with their 22 year old son who lives out of State. He came home for a family visit with a number of highly visible Tattoos all over his body. He is quite proud of them but the parents are shocked and saddened.

During their fight about it, the son told the parents that all his friends have Tattoos and all the parents were happy about it. Would you be happy if your Adult Children got a number of highly visible Tattoos?
I'll have to come back and read later when I have more time but wanted to add my thoughts...

No, on a guy, it wouldn't bother me as much. If my daughter got ink on her arm I would be very upset. Every one of mine can be hidden with pants and a tank top. If I had shorts on, you'd see them on my ankles.

I do agree that it's their life regardless of what I think. I hope that both of my kids (boy & girl) think about any ink they get, especially the stuff they do these days, black & heavy. Mine are all fine lines and more tastefully done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
My 16 year old grandson got two on his left arm..Not pretty at all.... His dad who does not have custody took him for the tattoos......My grandson regrets getting them now.

I would never let my 16 year old child get a tat. Last year I bought one for my son's 21st birthday. This is after he thought about it for years. He designed it years ago, and has it just the way he wanted it. He's now thinking or more and thankfully our tattoo artist is not around the corner. He knows he's not to go to just anybody after what happened to me. While I understand he's an adult, he's a pretty good, rational kid.

I goit my 1st at 16, then got more. I do regret a few, most I do not. The spur of the moment ones are the ones I regret, the planned ones are different because they are custom work.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,034 times
My daughter has a small tattoo on her ankle. It was her decision to get or not get one. She did ask my ADVICE. My son doesn't have any but if he was to get any I would give him the same advice: Check out the Tattoo shop, find a reliable artist, make sure the place is CLEAN and to check with current and former customers. BTW, I have 3 tats and plan to get more.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:

Why are the parents getting upset over a decision their son made? I believe when one is an adult, they can make their own choices?

I'll never get tattoos, but I would never deny or judge anyone who does. Additionally, I baffles me how many harp on how America is such a "free" society, but waste so much time and effort regarding the personal choices of others that have little or no direct impact on their own lives.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
I have three.

Why should I tell my adult daughters (my 12 year old son is exempt) that they cannot get tattoos?

It's a personal choice. I waited until I was 37 before I got my first one, but I got them because I wanted to and I think they're beautiful. If my daughters want tattoos, that's their business, not mine.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I just went through this with my oldest. He is 19, a full time college student with a 3.7GPA and two jobs to pay for it all. He came home last weekend with pierced ears. Okay, I was shocked enough at that. Then he told me that he wanted to get a tattoo as well. I tried not to look shocked. I am sure I didn't hide it well. I finally said, "just make sure it is something you will still be proud of when you are 40."

I don't like the idea but what can you do? He is an adult. He has his stuff together. Who am I to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty