U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,012,582 times

Advertisements

While I would agree London especially and other UK cities have diversity, most Caucasian Britions are more apt to be strongly of Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Scot-Irish background. I'd also perceive most Caucasian Austrailians and Canadians to still have more Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Scot-Irish in their background, and of course French. The average Caucasian American is likely to have more German, Eastern European or other Western European in their background Anglo-Saxon to a lesser extent. The American South has the most genetically Anglo-Saxons than other parts of the U.S. Hence why Anglo and Celtic traits (fairer eyes and perhaps hair) are less common in the US apart from rural areas in the Midwest and South.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:04 PM

61 posts, read 87,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
While I would agree London especially and other UK cities have diversity, most Caucasian Britions are more apt to be strongly of Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Scot-Irish background. I'd also perceive most Caucasian Austrailians and Canadians to still have more Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Scot-Irish in their background, and of course French. The average Caucasian American is likely to have more German, Eastern European or other Western European in their background Anglo-Saxon to a lesser extent. The American South has the most genetically Anglo-Saxons than other parts of the U.S. Hence why Anglo and Celtic traits (fairer eyes and perhaps hair) are less common in the US apart from rural areas in the Midwest and South.
Most of us whites from anglophone nations (Im British btw) have brown hair and eyes. I dont know where come the stereotype about people from British ancestry being blonde and blue eyed, couldnt be further from the truth. I havent found white americans to be any different than us, bar except for being larger due to a more caloric diet.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,012,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBlue View Post
Most of us whites from anglophone nations (Im British btw) have brown hair and eyes. I dont know where come the stereotype about people from British ancestry being blonde and blue eyed, couldnt be further from the truth. I havent found white americans to be any different than us, bar except for being larger due to a more caloric diet.
"Fairer eyes and perhaps hair" doesn't automatically mean "blonde hair and blue eyes". ( I actually thought that was a Scandinavian stereotype.) "Fairer hair" can include lighter brown and red, even. Does this mean Britons can't have dark hair and eyes? Of course they can; but studies show blue eyes especially are more common in the UK than the U.S. Blue eyes make a larger percentage in the UK while are only a small percentage in the US. There was even a thread comparing eye color in both both countries.

Blue Eyes vs Brown Eyes

Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,111,724 times
My impression is that blonde white females are about equally prevalent in the UK and the US, but the latter often are bottle blondes. As a guy, I'm not great at spotting those, so I think men wouldn't do well at telling apart British and American women on hair color. I have no idea how popular hair dye (not as a gray cover-up) is in Australia. I suspect it's not that popular in Canada.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
My impression is that blonde white females are about equally prevalent in the UK and the US, but the latter often are bottle blondes. As a guy, I'm not great at spotting those, so I think men wouldn't do well at telling apart British and American women on hair color. I have no idea how popular hair dye (not as a gray cover-up) is in Australia. I suspect it's not that popular in Canada.
There might not as many fake ones as in the US, but believe what you want, the UK and Australia are also full of bleached blondes.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 AM

3,885 posts, read 3,323,425 times
Quote:
Most of us whites from anglophone nations (Im British btw) have brown hair and eyes.
British people are predominantly light eyes and light haired with light brown being the mots common. Do a search on this forum and it all will be explained.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
British people are predominantly light eyes and light haired with light brown being the mots common. Do a search on this forum and it all will be explained.
Its what I got used as the standard After living most of my youth in Southern England. Brown and Even Darkbrown hair shades being the most common, although with eye-color the situation is more complex, there are many people with light eyes, but there are just as many with intermediate colors and brown eyes arent particularly uncommon either

Its also depends of what you consider to be light. I guess for scandinavians perception we are kind of dark , but for spanish or italians we tend to be on the lighter side.

Last edited by MickBlue; 11-07-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:02 PM

10,053 posts, read 6,991,637 times
Some Australians have that look that seems distinct to most Americans and Canadians (who are mostly of non-Anglo descent, if I'm not mistaken).

Schapelle Corby, for example, has that 'look'. The eyebrows, hooded eyes, which is a very distinct Aussie look that a good number of Australian women possess:

Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Some Australians have that look that seems distinct to most Americans and Canadians (who are mostly of non-Anglo descent, if I'm not mistaken).

Schapelle Corby, for example, has that 'look'. The eyebrows, hooded eyes, which is a very distinct Aussie look that a good number of Australian women possess:
Most canadians are of anglo descent unless you are stuck in Quebec or Montreal.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:13 AM

3,885 posts, read 3,323,425 times
Quote:
Its what I got used as the standard After living most of my youth in Southern England. Brown and Even Darkbrown hair shades being the most common, although with eye-color the situation is more complex, there are many people with light eyes, but there are just as many with intermediate colors and brown eyes arent particularly uncommon either

Its also depends of what you consider to be light. I guess for scandinavians perception we are kind of dark, but for spanish or italians we tend to be on the lighter side.
Southern England tends to have darker haired and eyed people than the rest of the UK. There is a strong French influence who are darker all around - Huguenots, etc. Most in the UK are light eyed, moreso in Scotland and Ireland. Light brown is the most common colour of hair in "ethnic" Britons, as is in Scandinavia. In Scandinavia they have more blond people as a percentage that gives the impression most are blond. Blond hair dye is a big seller in Scandinavia. In parts of the UK fair and blond hair is quite common, with lighter skin than the rest of Europe. Even those with medium to dark brown hair will have very white skin and facial features particular to the British Isles.

Light is light brown hair and lighter, and light eyes. Before you posts again on this it is best you do a search on this forum as maps, charts, DNA, etc, will all come up. Member Saxonwold did lots on this. The DNA of the British Isles is the same as Holland, North West Germany and Scandinavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or