U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times

Advertisements

I don't care what your size is, how toned you muscles might be, or if have four pack abs.

STOP wearing shorts that go below your knee. Buy some summer weight slacks, Please!

No more Air Jordans, Lebron 10 Pressures, or anything else found in at the Foot Locker.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM

637 posts, read 764,246 times
Very cool info. Ear hair is a major drag.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,445,107 times
Default Maybe one or two, three??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm a middle aged guy, past 50, with graying hair at the temples and no longer a flat stomach. I always thought they should give us guys who reach 40 an instruction sheet on grooming that says:

-- Get rid of that EAR HAIR ... it's ugly!

-- Get rid of the NOSE HAIR too ... it's disgusting.

-- You know, it wouldn't hurt to trim those bushy EYEBROWS a little.

-- Make sure your barber or stylist razors off that fuzzy hair on the back of your neck.

Now I'm not a Metrosexual and not into that whole "manscaping" thing, but I do believe in being well groomed.

Any more suggestions for us middle aged guys?????

It's ok to be bald, stop holding on to that last patch like it's your rope to your youth, you look much older with that bald spot, or comb over.

A pedicure does not make you a homosexual, please take care of your feet

Your club days are over, no one is going to look at you and say, "Ah, he's celebrating life" when you have a hang over in public, keep that ish at home

One more for good luck: Please stay away from the club scene unless it's an adult club otherwise you'll look weird and suspicious.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 AM

15,230 posts, read 23,756,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't care what your size is, how toned you muscles might be, or if have four pack abs.

STOP wearing shorts that go below your knee. Buy some summer weight slacks, Please!

No more Air Jordans, Lebron 10 Pressures, or anything else found in at the Foot Locker.

Thank you.

and what classifies you as fashion police?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM

40,954 posts, read 32,676,353 times
I am having some issues with my own father right now on some of these things.

He is 75 and has always been a strikingly handsome man. He also has always dressed very well. He's well off and LOOKS well off - in the sense that he looks polished and healthy and "current" without looking trendy. He's the sort of guy whose socks are always going to match his very nicely cut pants, and his goatee is always trimmed to perfection.

OK all that's good. But here's where he's going off the tracks now:

1. He has DANDRUFF all over his shoulders all the time now. He knows it's a problem because my mother and I are always brushing it off him and making small remarks about it. I'm just surprised that he doesn't aggressively handle this, considering he's such a dandy. He has very short hair so I can't imagine where all this is coming from!

2. He smokes a cigar just about all the time now, and sometimes honestly - his breath would knock a 2000 pound bull to the ground. How can he not notice that more often? And he knows it's a problem because I notice that he carries little mints around with him all the time now - but they simply don't help the problem much. It's very difficult to tell someone, "Hey, your breath stinks."

He's a very proud man. I hate to bring these things up to him in a more serious way, but they are not just minor irritations - they're pretty significant problems.

Note - he does not seem to be slipping mentally in any way, so I wouldn't chalk this up to any sort of mental deterioration.

Come to think of it, my mother is getting weirder about the way she dresses and comports herself as well. I've noticed that she tends to wear things that are CLEARLY not flattering to her figure (she's still a good looking woman with a slim build but she has that typical midsection spread that is so hard to avoid late in life). For instance, at Christmas she had on a skin tight turtleneck shirt, with some weird brooch thing pinned crooked to the collar, and then these odd, too short and sort of faded old school looking high waisted jeans with these really old school pointy toed tennis shoes. I've tried to talk with her about the shoes before, to no avail (she is completely stuck in 1988 when it comes to tennis shoes), and since she is very tall (5'11") I have not only given her many "tall girl" sites online to order pants from, I've even bought some for her myself to be sure they're a fit - but she always reverts back to those weird Lee jeans that are too short. WHAT THE HECK!

My husband and I have a pact with each other that if the other starts dressing eccentrically or sloppily in old age, we're going to be adamant even if we have to be CRUEL about it! STOP IT!!!!!!!!! We're both in our fifties but I think so far, so good. My daughters keep me in check! NO MOM JEANS!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM

3,653 posts, read 7,263,820 times
Brush your teeth.
Clean the gunk out of your ears.
Trim and clean fingernails.
Trim beard and stache.
Don't overdo the cologne.
Don't where baggy pants that look like you took a dump in your drawers.
Don't wear extremely worn out and dirty tennis shoes.
Wash your hair and watch for dandruff.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,741,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Brush your teeth.
Clean the gunk out of your ears.
Trim and clean fingernails.
Trim beard and stache.
Don't overdo the cologne.
Don't where baggy pants that look like you took a dump in your drawers.
Don't wear extremely worn out and dirty tennis shoes.
Wash your hair and watch for dandruff.
Talk about fashion faux pas, my 58-year old co-worker/friend buys his casual clothes at Abercrombie & Fitch. His daughter has been trying to get him to upgrade to Eddie Bauer.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM

11,377 posts, read 6,790,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm a middle aged guy, past 50, with graying hair at the temples and no longer a flat stomach. I always thought they should give us guys who reach 40 an instruction sheet on grooming that says:

-- Get rid of that EAR HAIR ... it's ugly!

-- Get rid of the NOSE HAIR too ... it's disgusting.

-- You know, it wouldn't hurt to trim those bushy EYEBROWS a little.

-- Make sure your barber or stylist razors off that fuzzy hair on the back of your neck.

Now I'm not a Metrosexual and not into that whole "manscaping" thing, but I do believe in being well groomed.

Any more suggestions for us middle aged guys?????
I can agree with all of it -- except for the eyebrows.

I keep my hair short, have no tattoos, no piercings, still have my tonsils, adeniods and appendix.

Just a small (and apparently not-that-noticeable) way of saying, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM

283 posts, read 418,286 times
Staying physically fit is most important if you want to stay as attractive as you can when you reach middle age. Especially cardio. Two of the biggest--and least attractive--indicators or midle age are a gut and that chin wattle or whatever it is that some guys have hanging down between their chin and neck.
Cardio exercise and a good diet will keep that nice and firm. A gut is simply a dealbreaker if you want to be attractive even a little bit to younger women.

If your facial features and skin are still taught and relatively youthful and free of wrinkles--laugh lines are OK--a little gray hair actually looks sexy. (Almost every younger woman I've ever met--I'm 43--has said "don't you dare" about coloring my gray hair at my temples.
A lithe bod and youngish facial features more than make-up for a bit of salt in your pepper hair.

Moisturizing is mega-important!! The vast majority of guys don't take care of their skin. Go ahead and spend $20 on a good tube of moisturizer that will last you a month and use it morning and night.

Nose and ear hair are unforgiveable. If you have either and don't wanna do anything about them then just quit reading this post and go rent "Grumpy Old Men." LOL.

Look: I'm not a metro-sexual at all--I don't think--but I am pretty vain, I admit. Some things my ego just won't abide, like not being looked at aprreciatively once in awhile by an attractive woman, so I do what I can!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
What are "dad jeans".

And agree with the shoes. I never got into this tennis shoe/jogging shoes/traniers or what-ever-they're-called. For me it's usually some form of mocassin, deck or walking shoe, or weejun. Or in witner I wear boots, as in work boots, with jeans.

Never liked that jogging shoe look.
A lot of good suggestions, especially those hair ones from head to toe. But the above mentioned really resinated with me. Those dang tennis shoes, except in certain understandalbe instances, looks so unappealing. I even see men wearing this casual footwear to evening events, I find it distracting when I look at their over all outfit, just makes me think of Peter Pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or