U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,326,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Ok, yeah, i'm bored, sent out twenty resumes, THIS is how i wind down at 4:30 am pacific time....

but seriously, this is almost akin to the "who else hates dating" thread that got kinda heated a few weeks back- its, in other words, a completely personal preference, but personally i find it very creepy when men wear cologne. i even hate the word. it has too many vowels.

and there is nothing worse than certain types of musk- obsession for men was a main offender. every time i smell it i see frat boys in daddy's car. it smells of no scruples to me. (no offense to you former frat boys). but i expect to get date-raped or at least roofied when i smell that stuff. not to make light of either of those happenings either, btw....

but its an almost visceral aversion. i literally would not date a man who stunk of cologne and used loads of hair gel. it reeks of the sort of premeditation that i dislike in women, who, luckily, i don't date. give me curly dark ringlets that are natural. i don't want to see your scalp shine.

i will say the only cologne that i actually love- and used to wear even as a girl- is cool water. to me it smells like old books. people look at me funny when i say that, but it has that woodsy odor i associate with pre-1930's hardbacks. i never said i wasn't weird.
I never stand out from the crowd with my Brute aftershave and or Old Spice deodorant. The whole damn shop smells like that! LOL It's what workin men do! LOL Just about every guy from 30-90 I encounter throughout the day has his on too! LOL But yeah, the fruity stuff would draw a stare or two. Some young guys and metros reek of the stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM

8,847 posts, read 9,672,238 times
I don't wear it . It seems it kinda "type cast you" women get a sense of what kinda guy you are by your cologne. I don't think men pay any attention to a women's smell the same way. For instance I used to wear patchouli but I didn't women to think I was a pot head.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,148,799 times
My husband hates cologne and wears female perfume. I am glad with his choices. We basically share all our perfumes but to be honest, I don't really wear it myself so he ends up using 90% of it. To me male cologne esp that which has tobacco notes are turn-offs.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,734,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweet View Post
I completely agree. I find that people (mostly females) who are quick to call someone a creep are shallow and have lived very sheltered lives. Someone who has spent a good amount time in the gritty areas of LA, NYC, SF, CHI, etc. would certainly know what "creepy" really means.
as i have, living in the dirty city of hell-Aye.

perhaps its that i have a very keen sense of smell. i always smell things no one else does. i'm one of those people who is always, "do you smell that jasmine three blocks away?"

cologne, creepy. however, any type of oil- like egyptian musk, not patchouli- something that smells like clean skin....mmmmmm

but i do like to know what a man smells like for real. you can't find that if your nose is being raped by the smell of stetson, brut, or the king of all creepy scents, Old Spice. it never fails to remind me of a pedophile santa claus.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,734,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't wear it . It seems it kinda "type cast you" women get a sense of what kinda guy you are by your cologne. I don't think men pay any attention to a women's smell the same way. For instance I used to wear patchouli but I didn't women to think I was a pot head.
wow, you live in gene shallot's moustache. does it smell like shallots?

true story- once in south carolina me and my boyfriend, who looked like jesus or che guevera, got pulled over. i was wearing patchouli. when they smelled it they thought it was weed, which brought 7 police officers to search our car. you can't be too careful.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,267,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
wow, you live in gene shallot's moustache. does it smell like shallots?

true story- once in south carolina me and my boyfriend, who looked like jesus or che guevera, got pulled over. i was wearing patchouli. when they smelled it they thought it was weed, which brought 7 police officers to search our car. you can't be too careful.
Lol. Patchouli and weed smell nothing alike.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,770,207 times
I let my natural pheromones do the talking for me.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,267,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
My husband hates cologne and wears female perfume. I am glad with his choices. We basically share all our perfumes but to be honest, I don't really wear it myself so he ends up using 90% of it. To me male cologne esp that which has tobacco notes are turn-offs.
I agree. Lots of companies seem to believe that men must have completely punch-you-in-the-face scents. The subtler scents marketed towards women are much nicer IMO. I like when guys wear women's perfume too (though of course, not too much).

Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 PM

12,941 posts, read 18,894,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Lol. Patchouli and weed smell nothing alike.
Yeah, I was wondering about that comparison myself - must be some really floral weed!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,890,026 times
Looks like I must be the only guy here who LOVES his cologne. I love all good smelling stuff but it took me a while to really figure out what works best for me.

Also have to understand that some colognes just dont smell good with certain soaps so you really have to be aware of what to wear and for what.

Everything I wear is "wife-approved" and luckily, what she likes I also like:

Acqua di Gio
Kenneth Cole Reaction
Kenneth Cole Black
Allure for men
Cool Water
Cartier Pasha
Armani Code

Some scents are best for the office, some for dates, others for everyday wear. Also, depending on the type of soaps you use, you can totally go without cologne. The secret is in moderation. Only use a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty