U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,723 times

Advertisements

Ok, yeah, i'm bored, sent out twenty resumes, THIS is how i wind down at 4:30 am pacific time....

but seriously, this is almost akin to the "who else hates dating" thread that got kinda heated a few weeks back- its, in other words, a completely personal preference, but personally i find it very creepy when men wear cologne. i even hate the word. it has too many vowels.

and there is nothing worse than certain types of musk- obsession for men was a main offender. every time i smell it i see frat boys in daddy's car. it smells of no scruples to me. (no offense to you former frat boys). but i expect to get date-raped or at least roofied when i smell that stuff. not to make light of either of those happenings either, btw....

but its an almost visceral aversion. i literally would not date a man who stunk of cologne and used loads of hair gel. it reeks of the sort of premeditation that i dislike in women, who, luckily, i don't date. give me curly dark ringlets that are natural. i don't want to see your scalp shine.

i will say the only cologne that i actually love- and used to wear even as a girl- is cool water. to me it smells like old books. people look at me funny when i say that, but it has that woodsy odor i associate with pre-1930's hardbacks. i never said i wasn't weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 AM

727 posts, read 401,925 times
Yes it is creepy.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,617,869 times
Me and Mrs. Alpha went to dinner celebrating our 24th anniversary on Saturday.

I haven't used cologne in years (due to the fact that I smell great without it) but decided to spritz myself a little.

Big mistake. I couldn't stand the small of myself.

Never again!

Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,723 times
hahahaha. i'm sorry alphamale. i hope you had some fine toilet wipes on hand to save the day : )

Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,617,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
hahahaha. i'm sorry alphamale. i hope you had some fine toilet wipes on hand to save the day : )
Nah. I lived with it for one night.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Ok, yeah, i'm bored, sent out twenty resumes, THIS is how i wind down at 4:30 am pacific time....

but seriously, this is almost akin to the "who else hates dating" thread that got kinda heated a few weeks back- its, in other words, a completely personal preference, but personally i find it very creepy when men wear cologne. i even hate the word. it has too many vowels.

and there is nothing worse than certain types of musk- obsession for men was a main offender. every time i smell it i see frat boys in daddy's car. it smells of no scruples to me. (no offense to you former frat boys). but i expect to get date-raped or at least roofied when i smell that stuff. not to make light of either of those happenings either, btw....

but its an almost visceral aversion. i literally would not date a man who stunk of cologne and used loads of hair gel. it reeks of the sort of premeditation that i dislike in women, who, luckily, i don't date. give me curly dark ringlets that are natural. i don't want to see your scalp shine.

i will say the only cologne that i actually love- and used to wear even as a girl- is cool water. to me it smells like old books. people look at me funny when i say that, but it has that woodsy odor i associate with pre-1930's hardbacks. i never said i wasn't weird.
my wife likes it if i spritz a touch of Momba on if we're going out and getting a little dressy. that's it for me.

on the other hand i work with this slob that drowns himself with stench every day at work. we all think about complaining but the alternative may be worse.

but i guess you're kinda talking about guidos who think they're studs with the cologne and grease and stuff ? i would hope that doesn't attract many of the women on here.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,151,071 times
A local acquaintance (a seemingly harmless old guy) asked if I'd help him on a Saturday at his office (a tractor dealership), retrieving and organizing files in preparation for a meeting with his accountant. I should have gotten a clue when he opened the door reeking of cologne, but later, when he tried to sit too close to me, and put his hand on my waist, I sure did. (I am one who does NOT like to be touched, so you can imagine my reaction). Did you ever notice it seems to be the creepy old guys who slather it on when they want to impress?

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-10-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,707,769 times
I don't know about creepy. I think when a man is well groomed, dresses nice and has a nice fragrance on, it's very sexy. It's good for all the senses. I'm talking something good though, like Acqua Di Gio (sp?) or something else that's more high end, not some crap like Stetson.. do men still wear this ?? eww... just the smell alone conjures up bad images for me LOL

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,491,906 times
Creepy is such an overused term. I certainly wouldn't use it to describe someone who uses cologne.

I don't really use it often, only on occasion. It's important for people to know how to use it properly. You're not supposed to use it like insecticide. Just a hint will do.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,484,538 times
We all smell things differently anyway. Some people are always gonna hate your smell with or without cologne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty