Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 AM

14 posts, read 47,498 times

Advertisements

HI
I would like to make a gift to my mother for Christmas and I was thinking of a perfume …
So could you suggest me something, naming fragrances you like ?
I just say that my mother is 50 years old , is an elegant, but in the meantime, an informal and sporting person …..
thank you in advance for the answers ....

Dolly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyA77 View Post
HI
I would like to make a gift to my mother for Christmas and I was thinking of a perfume …
I just say that my mother is 50 years old , is an elegant, but in the meantime, an informal and sporting person …..

Dolly
It is hard buying fragrances for someone else. I am very picky and anything that smells slightly mellon-y makes me nauseous. Anything that has the name Blue or Ocean anything also makes me feel ill (there is a certain scent that I have found is in things with names like that).

I really like Cabotine. It is flowery. Vera Wang also has a scent I like but I will have to look at which one it is. Do you know what type of fragrance she likes?

jillz

Old 12-04-2010, 01:32 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyA77 View Post
HI

Dolly
L'Air Du Temps--by Nina Ricci

I don't think you can go wrong with this one, its not heavy, not too sweet, just right, ebay may have it cheaper, I think you can buy at drugstores and even Walmart now, don't let the price fool you, once you smell it you'll love it. The better dept. stores should have it out so you can test it. I don't know your price range but this would be good

Amazon.com: L'Air Du Temps By Nina Ricci For Women. Eau De Toilette Spray 3.3 Oz.: Nina Ricci: Health & Personal Care

Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I am turning 50 in February and have recently found a fragrance I just love and have had several complimanets in. It's calles Sensous Noir by Estee Lauder. It is an extremely warm, casual fragrance. Kid of "Curious" for grown up women. When your Mom and I were in our "heyday" of the 1970's, Musk was all the rage, and maybe that's why I still have a preference for "warm" or spicy noted fragrances.

Oh, and I agree with Jillz on the "oceany" and fruity smells, ick. I also don't like anything that smells like roses, or is too sweet and "flowery".

Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Wow, look at my lousy typing, too early in the morning I guess.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
well Im 50 and I just love "Romance " by Ralph Lauren and I also love "NOA" by cacharelle . I know dillards carries both of these and they also do gifts when purchase fragrance from dillards and also second the estee lauder reccomendation . Whatever you chose im sure your mom will love it cause it is from you .

Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Philosophy's Amazing Grace. Many fragrances cause headaches and can be offensive to others. This is just a great fragrance that is truly non-offensive. You can try it out at Sephora.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Since you made a point of mentioning that she is sporty as well as elegant, I would recommend one of the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria fragrances. There is a Christmas-y one called Winter Delice, but there are also a few "safer" choices that just smell really nice. I like Anisia Bella; when I wore that one, my 5 year old niece buried her face in my neck and said, "You smell gooood."

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 AM

248 posts, read 442,890 times
Give her one of those samplers from Sephora ...That way she can try them all and pick the one she likes best as a full size bottle

Old 12-06-2010, 01:59 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Philosophy's Amazing Grace. Many fragrances cause headaches and can be offensive to others. This is just a great fragrance that is truly non-offensive. You can try it out at Sephora.
Too funny. I wear Pure Grace by Philosophy. It actually smells like soap and water. It's touted as the "non-offensive" fragrance.

For sexy special nights out I wear J'Adore by Dior but would NEVER wear it on a day to day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty