U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM

230 posts, read 534,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You're not in Mo every day, sorry, but I dont see it. Guess we should be glad you're not in our fair state more often.
I am in NYC more than you think, and I've seen it from the natives.
I've also seen it in Florida, all over the South, the West, etc, etc, etc.....
The only reason you dont see it is you seem to be a bit busy bashing the Midwest.
Stop with the attitude already.
You're making yourself look like a stereotypical New Yorker.
I'm a west coast girl and as much as I LOVE LA, I have to agree that New Yorkers look fantastic. I see outfits in NYC that blow my mind. West coast is always more relaxed and bohemian, the South tends to be traditional, and the midwest is a very odd mix. It's not because of the people, it's just because fashion trends don't reach stores in the midwest until they've been beaten to death in NYC. NYC has more access to great clothing. There's a reason LA Fashion Week is a joke and the midwest doesn't even have one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tarts View Post
What is wrong with feeling pretty? I do not think of myself as uptight or shallow at all. I love to look good, be hygienic, and wear pretty clothes. Being attractive does have it's advantages.
Nothing, it's more the personality type I associate with them. If there is a girl who isn't focused on fashion and constantly looking good I don't really care whatever she wears.

Besides, I'm probably in the minority. It seems most men prefer women to look all dressy and 'girly'.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Besides, I'm probably in the minority. It seems most men prefer women to look all dressy and 'girly'.
My husband feels the same. He sees women who follow the fashion trends, make up trends, hair trends, purse and shoe trends as high maintenance and he doesn't like high maintenance and I don't have the patience for it.

When I worked in an office I had more dresses and more shoes but I was never a fashion plate although I think I looked pretty good.

Now, my hubby and I work together, whether its construction jobs, remodeling jobs, or land developing. We do it all for ourselves so we don't deal with clients. I live in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers. I like to dress pretty sometimes but it is senseless in my lifestyle. And no hubby wouldn't want me to...he also likes the "no" clothes, lol.

I also don't have the patience for the girlie routines...heck I can't even sit still long enough for my nails to dry I also must have missed the female class about shoes and purses. I hate them, lol.

It's a good thing there are so many kinds of people out there, we all fit in somewhere

Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
I'm a west coast girl and as much as I LOVE LA, I have to agree that New Yorkers look fantastic. I see outfits in NYC that blow my mind. West coast is always more relaxed and bohemian, the South tends to be traditional, and the midwest is a very odd mix. It's not because of the people, it's just because fashion trends don't reach stores in the midwest until they've been beaten to death in NYC. NYC has more access to great clothing. There's a reason LA Fashion Week is a joke and the midwest doesn't even have one!
St Louis has a Fashion Week.........we also have these things that we get into and fly through the air,(sounds unbelievable, I know) and we actually buy clothing in NYC, and even Paris and Rome.
Saint Louis Fashion Week Spring 2010 :: Welcome (http://www.saintlouisfashionweek.com/FW_Oct2009/ - broken link)

Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
St Louis has a Fashion Week.........we also have these things that we get into and fly through the air,(sounds unbelievable, I know) and we actually buy clothing in NYC, and even Paris and Rome.
Saint Louis Fashion Week Spring 2010 :: Welcome (http://www.saintlouisfashionweek.com/FW_Oct2009/ - broken link)
That's lovely and all but much like LA fashion week, it's NOT the equivalent of NYC. Just like NYC is still not quite like Milan or Paris. You're not going to find a couture atelier or a large design house in St. Louis. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
You're not going to find a couture atelier or a large design house in St. Louis. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
And you would be an expert on STL exactly how?
I've had some fabulous custom stuff made in STL.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
My husband and I like to go to the symphony. We always get dressed up when we go. We've been in Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle. When we went to our first symphony performance in Oregon... we dressed up.

We were really shocked to see what people were wearing. There were people there wearing birkenstocks, shorts, hoodie sweaters and jeans, also - prom dresses, ball gowns, steampunk outfits. Everything you can imagine.

It was almost as fun people watching as it was listening to the music!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
And you would be an expert on STL exactly how?
I've had some fabulous custom stuff made in STL.
I'm not an expert on STL, I'm pretty well versed in fashion though, considering the time I've studied it and worked in it. This was not an attack on STL, although you seem to falsely think it is. My comments were merely statements regarding the flow of fashion.
Clearly you are not well versed in couture, since "custom-made stuff" is NOT an appropriate synonym for couture and suggesting that it is is disrespectful to the seamstresses that devote their entire life to the art and technique.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We were really shocked to see what people were wearing. There were people there wearing birkenstocks, shorts, hoodie sweaters and jeans, also - prom dresses, ball gowns, steampunk outfits. Everything you can imagine.

It was almost as fun people watching as it was listening to the music!

I am no fashion diva...but I do dress appropriately. I am shocked how some people dress when they go out

I also love to people watch...it can be quite entertaining

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
I prefer casual attire. Sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, no jewelry or makeup.

Just plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty