U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This is just my opinion.

To me, a woman is feminine if she is well groomed, has manicured nails, styled hair that is not cut too short, and wears just a little bit of make-up like lipstick.

Most of all I do not like hairiness in women ... feminine women shave their armpits, their legs, and wax the upper lip and "bikini area."

On the other hand I do not like "manscaping" in men and I think it very unseemly and weird to see a man who shaves his chest, his arms, legs or pubic hair. What is with these guys? Do they want to look like pre-pubescent boys?

Examples of feminine women: Audrey Hepburn, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Angelina Joli.
Angelina Jolie feminine? I find her overrated, but somewhat attractive in an androgynous way. Being bisexual, dressing in leather (well used to) and having tatts doesn't help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,483,754 times
On a superficial level, having a nice curvy body, great breasts and butt are signs of femininity imo.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,871,319 times
Hard to put my finger on exactly. Broadly, I would say that sufficient femininity exists when they do not strike you as mannish.

One of the best, and easiest ways, to not seem mannish? Don't have a mannish hair style.

Now if someone wants to seem mannish...more power to them.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
I definitely don't think it's what you wear, or your makeup or if you go and get mani-pedis with your girlfriends once a week. I've known women who wear 'mens' clothes are are more feminine than any woman wearing Juicy Couture with her french tip nails.

I've been told I was feminine wearing a pair of guys Dickies pants, a tank top and working on my car... I suppose it's more of a state of mind than what you're wearing or what you're doing.

Of course, I'm also 6'1 and have been told that no matter what I do, what I wear and how I act I'll never be considered feminine. Lots of differences in opinion, I suppose.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,913,314 times
so how do i define a femininity i will throw a few names into the pot.

Bigitte Bardot

Sophi Loren

Gia Lollobrigida

Angie Dickenson

Marilyn Monroe

Joan Collins

Ann Marget

Barbara Eden

Anne Francis

Jayne Mansfield

all this women had something that made you stop and go dam and go that a women from her style of clothing to her walk and talk to her basic body movements that just screamed iam a women and look at me when they walked by you ..

not like the socalled ladys of today and you see very few that have the skills and style and the it factor to pull it off like those women did ..most women have been bought up on the socalled force feed school of thought it not good to be to lady like or wear clothing that make you a target for other women or something else that the socalled women movement has been force feeding into the women heads now days .. ..

Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM

3,668 posts, read 5,734,499 times
Femininity is best described as sensuality. It comes from within and can be seen by others in all that she does from walking to sighing. It is about being confident, caring, and carefree when each is appropriate though confidence always is.

Femininity is not a female always dressing up in short skirts, putting on make up everyday, or acting a certain way just because she thinks that is what a male wants. Those are superficial outer things and decorations. That is sexual and not sensual.

I am not saying discard the outer but the inner must be genuine or it just appears as an act, a costume, a character, and not a real person.

Femininity should compliment masculinity and not just appease it.

Men will love it but without being able to exactly say why unless they give it some thought. The above list of actresses, well some seem masculine to me, other women might want to be them for the attention, but any woman can be feminine in her own self.

I would add the names of Kate Bush, Cate Blanchett, Vera Farmiga, and Audrey Hepburn.

Last edited by Merovee; 01-17-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM

914 posts, read 1,536,155 times
is taking notes.

I feel like my style varies from vintage dresses to a purposely crafted androgynous outfit. I like dressing that way and still exuding femininity.

I most certainly hold myself with class and confidence but can have a sailor mouth around the right people.

I think women who dress like tomboys can also be extremely sexy and feminine.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:02 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,871,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
On a superficial level, having a nice curvy body, great breasts and butt are signs of femininity imo.

I've seen so many internet polls where the guys always say they prefer small to medium...with a few opting for D cup, or larger.

So I wonder....what are "great breasts and butt?"

Old 01-17-2011, 02:25 PM

313 posts, read 374,222 times
I found Henri's long list of ladies in the above post interesting.

Some I agree with. Some I think were classy and sexy and feminine all in one. Others I think were over-rated, and one that I always thought was tacky and even kinda' fat. (My favorite on that list, by the way, is a tie between Sophia Loren and Ann Margaret.)

I agree with another poster who wrote that there's a difference between sexy and feminine. I'd classify Eva Longoria and Penelope Cruz as very femnine. Reese Witherspoon is another one. I don't think boob-size has a thing to do with it.

Femininity shows from girls who LIKE being girls.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,483,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I've seen so many internet polls where the guys always say they prefer small to medium...with a few opting for D cup, or larger.

So I wonder....what are "great breasts and butt?"
That's why it's called a poll.

You're under the impression that there's an absolute clear cut definition of femininity. I know not.

It doesn't matter what some other guy chose. I'm telling you what I believe makes a woman feminine superficially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty