U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,428,721 times

Advertisements

Hmm maybe just MY faith in the government.

In spite of the blankety-blank health-care bill and not ending the wars or freeing the unfairly-imprisoned from Guantanamo Bay, I think I can almost forgive the president after seeing an awesome state dinner for Hu Jintao.

I was tired of having frumpy and unattractive first ladies. I mean, with a bada$$ for a husband like former president Bush and all that lovely money, I really expected a lot more from former first Lady Bush that I got. And Secretary of State Clinton's headbands? I mean, America needs SOMEBODY to compete with Queen Rania and Carla Bruni, right?

Right.

I believe that's the REAL reason for the perceived decline in American dominance in the past few years. Bad fashion.

Anyway, I don't do red but I LOVED Michelle's dress at the Dinner for Hu Jintao!!! So culturally correct, so fashionable and so flattering!

OMG and I LOVED all of the beautiful dresses and gorgeous people who came to the dinner TOO. THAT'S why I wanted to marry a rich man so I could dress up and go to dinners like that.

Nevertheless, I guess I can live vicariously. The youngish wives of all the rich, powerful guys present looked so beautiful! I especially loved all of the satin dresses, and even though Anna Wintour's dress was out of place (knee-length white dress to a DINNER party with for a Chinese dignitary?...I know it's hard to see with all that hair in her eyes, but she could have made a better fashion choice.)

Michelle Kwan also wore a knee-length dress. Why? Maybe they thought they were attending the state cocktail party?

But I digress because almost everyone else looked AMAZING.

I LOVED Michelle's red DRESS, and while Vera Wang looked a extremely thin, her dress was LOVELY!! As were the dresses of the many thirty and forty-something LUCKY well-connected men's wives in attendance. Wendi Murdoch's dress especially caught my eye.

Mona Lock's dress looked beautiful, as did her pretty bob. She should give Anna Wintour the name of her hairdresser. Ann Friedman is not a beauty, but I think she had one of the prettiest dresses of the night. Ditto for Charlotte Shultz. I now have blouse envy. The Walt Disney guy's date, Willow Bay lived up to her name in a pretty white (okay bad color, but at least it was long) dress with gold trim and accessories. (swooning)

Fox news of all places has a SMOKIN' slide show. But somehow I can't find it...I found some more, though so pls take a look and comment:
A Jazzy All-American State Dinner for Chinese President Hu Jinato
Obama‚€™s State Dinner for Hu - Slide Show - NYTimes.com
President Barack Obama - Yahoo! News Photos

President Hu is also pretty attractive. Am I crazy? Siigh. I Wish I could have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,787,879 times
I agree that is was a very feminine and elegant dress.

This has nothing to do with politics. I liked the former First Lady Laura Bush - really nice lady - but she dressed in such a dowdy way. Michelle has a flair and elegance we haven't seen since Jacquelin Kennedy.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,263,909 times
So in other words, style trumps substance. Good God, I hope you don't vote.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,711,232 times
I'm not impressed.

Reminds me of Nero playing the fiddle. Fix the darn job market and restore faith in the mind of voters

Look at those happy attendees in their million dollar suits and dress. I am just saddened at this display. I see poor people every day.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,154,931 times
Did you have to put down Laura Bush in order to praise the present First Lady?

Laura Bush was one of the most graceful and respectfully dressed First Ladies we have ever had. I think Michelle Obama would look more respectful if she covered a little more skin too. As for the dress she wore; I hope she didn't pay too much for it. I would not have worn it if someone had given it to me. I don't care how much you pay for something. Ugly is just ugly.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,711,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Did you have to put down Laura Bush in order to praise the present First Lady?

Laura Bush was one of the most graceful and respectfully dressed First Ladies we have ever had. I think Michelle Obama would look more respectful if she covered a little more skin too. As for the dress she wore; I hope she didn't pay too much for it. I would not have worn it if someone had given it to me. I don't care how much you pay for something. Ugly is just ugly.
I have immense respect for Laura Bush. For GW too. Now someone can throw a brick at my head

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,787,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So in other words, style trumps substance. Good God, I hope you don't vote.
One doesn't vote for First Lady. This is not about Politics. This thread comes under the Fashion And Beauty section. We are talking about fashion and beauty.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,263,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One doesn't vote for First Lady. This is not about Politics. This thread comes under the Fashion And Beauty section. We are talking about fashion and beauty.
Well, since the OP said that the White House dinner restored her faith in government, then my critique is actually on target. Hell, if the president were competent, I wouldn't care if the First Lady wore a burlap bag.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,687,871 times
The White House dinner restored her faith in the government's ability to look like fashionable world leaders. Y'know, like world leaders of other countries often do. It's called dressing the part. If I'm working as a school marm or den mother, I'd dress like a Bush. If I'm working as the wife of one of the most powerful leaders in the civilized world, I'd dress like an Obama.

I think they all looked gorgeous.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,428,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well Said

BTW, I liked things about GW. I am against the WAR, though. Especially since I know a lot about the Mideast's culture and people through my hubby's family and my years of bellydance and eating Leb + Moroccan food. PPl over there are awesome! I'm still not sure why we're fighting. I have never known or met anyone who dislikes America... except on Teevy.

Nevertheless, even though all the recent US presidents appear to be Ivy Leaguers with little connection to the common man, I LOVED that GW spoke really great Spanish and provided a 15% tax cap on certain preferred stocks.

About the first ladies, I'm impressed by all of them, since they did what I somehow failed to do: marry a wealthy and powerful man. LOL But as a working girl, I'm especially impressed by women with advanced education who work/worked for a living.

Although it sounds a little sexist, I think you kind of owe it to your husband to look attractive. Unless you've gotten to the point where you don't really care about him, anymore. (ducks a brick) It's also important to support the economy, and the fashion industry employs thousands of workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty