U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,681,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I live in the Mecca of Beards (Portland) but I do not like them.
I think my town is on par with Portland (Asheville, NC) maybe we're the East Coast mecca for beards. Personally, do not like them at all. They seem to be quite ubiquitous with the "hipsters" around here - I prefer men that are more professional looking and very clean shaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times
I think it just has to be fitting to the facial features and kept very clean. Some guys look better with than without and vice versa.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I think my town is on par with Portland (Asheville, NC) maybe we're the East Coast mecca for beards. Personally, do not like them at all. They seem to be quite ubiquitous with the "hipsters" around here - I prefer men that are more professional looking and very clean shaven.
Our cities are also on a par with micro-breweries. Must be "sister cities".

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
I've had a beard for over 30 years. My ex asked me to shave it off once to see what I looked like. I did and she asked if I could glue it back on. Have told my wife if she wants me to shave it off I will. She said as long as I take care of it she doesn't care. Got my trimmers set at 1/2" and she said it's fine.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,047,313 times
Depends on the person. Imho, Colin Farrell looks better with a moustache than without but Johnny Depp looks worse with a moustache even though he's been growing one for years. I agree with Mooseketeer--sometimes young looking guys need to grow facial hair to prevent themselves from being confused with 15-year-old boys.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Sometimes facial hair can add strength or character to a face. A face with a small chin can look good with a beard.

But I've never liked the "five o'clock shadow" look. To me it makes the face look dirty.

What's wrong with you ladies? None o' ya like the ZZ Top look? My husband would grow his like that if I didn't protest so much.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,818,040 times
My preference is a neat, close-cropped beard. Very sexy!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,005,081 times
I like short beards, when they are trimmed neatly and are very very short (trimmed very close to the skin). I also like clean cut with no facial hair.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,871,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I am just curious as I recently grew a beard. I now have a full one. I grew it because I haven't been working or going to school for a little bit.

Since growing it, I feel I might have become the 2nd coming of Christ.
I say this because I am in the process of inventing a place that is like the kingdom of Heaven, but a bit different at the same time.
The theme song of it I declared was "Heaven is a place on earth". It is not an afterlife like many will have you to believe. It can be done right there.

Ok back to the scheduled program. Beards.
I am just wondering if some girls like beards on guys whether they are unemployed or are working a job? Do the ladies find them sexy? I look good with a beard, maybe better than most too and its with dark hair as well.

Apparently you are feeling pretty good about yourself. Rock on bro.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 AM

554 posts, read 1,305,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Sometimes facial hair can add strength or character to a face. A face with a small chin can look good with a beard.

But I've never liked the "five o'clock shadow" look. To me it makes the face look dirty.
I agree with Bluesmama on this one. However, my ex husband could rock a nicely trimmed goatee with 'stach because of his small chin. I didn't like it when he shaved it off. I HATE, with a passion, long scraggly, untrimmed, wild beards. If you want to look like Grizzly Adams, you had better be ready to live alone in the wilderness with your pet bear.

LOL, I remember this guy I worked with awhile ago. I knew that man for almost 10 yrs and he always had a long, nasty red beard. I knew he was older, but when he shaved it off one day you could've pushed me over with a feather. It took about 20 yrs off of him! After almost 10 yrs of constantly asking me out and me always saying "no", I almost wished he had asked me one more time. I think I would've said yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty