U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,336,947 times

Advertisements

I have a friend coming to visit. She doesn't like strong smelling soaps or shampoos, what am I looking at? She also has (self-described) sensitive skin.

Dial, Ivory, Caress? Johnson's baby shampoo?

She'd probably also be sensitive to any deodorant I'm using, because most of the ones I'm aware of have a pretty strong smell. Maybe I shouldn't use any? Or just use baking soda?

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,684,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have a friend coming to visit. She doesn't like strong smelling soaps or shampoos, what am I looking at? She also has (self-described) sensitive skin.

Dial, Ivory, Caress? Johnson's baby shampoo?

She'd probably also be sensitive to any deodorant I'm using, because most of the ones I'm aware of have a pretty strong smell. Maybe I shouldn't use any? Or just use baking soda?

Please advise.
All of those soaps have a lot of artificial additives, which can bother her skin....wish I knew what stores you are close to (you dont drive, right?) I could suggest some products based on whats close to you.
Also, you can get unscented deodorant, thats what I would recommend.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM

3,161 posts, read 7,899,933 times
Are you near a Whole Foods? They sell an unscented shampoo under their 365 house brand that is only about $3. You can also find unscented deodorant there.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM

5,123 posts, read 12,760,165 times
Wouldn't she be inclined to bring what works for her? I know if I had sensitivities, I'd carry my own products with me!

As far as what YOU use....I've never been able to ascertain what soaps or shampoos anyone near me uses...but perfumes and colognes...now,that's a different matter! I'd forgo perfumes, but continue to use the bathing products that work for me.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,336,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Wouldn't she be inclined to bring what works for her? I know if I had sensitivities, I'd carry my own products with me!
Well, I did ask her, and that is what she planned to do for herself. So thank you.

Quote:

As far as what YOU use....I've never been able to ascertain what soaps or shampoos anyone near me uses...but perfumes and colognes...now,that's a different matter! I'd forgo perfumes, but continue to use the bathing products that work for me.
I appreciate the input. I don't wear cologne much anyhow, so that's a good thing.

There may be a Bath and Body Works in the mall, there's a Bed Bath and Beyond not far from me, and there are assorted groceries (including Wal-Mart) nearby. Target's a little further. The bigger name stores are closer to Sarasota--which I could get to on the bus with little problem.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:33 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,610,324 times
The Kiss My Face brand has lotions, soaps, deodorants, shampoos, etc, that are good for sensitive skin. You can choose no fragrance products, but they also have several very mild fragrances. You can find it at Whole Foods, and I know a few Publix and Krogers that carry it too.

Personally, I find Kiss My Face to be even more mild than Ivory and Caress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty