Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,335 times

Advertisements

My teenage son has a thick, dark, raised mole right in the middle of his cheek, with a few hairs growing out of it. He was born with this mole, its nothing new, and he always hated it. He cuts off the hair, so at least that can be helped... However, he is a very handsome kid (in my opinion), and I think its really getting to him now that he is a bit older. He told me we wants to have it removed. Although I can see why, as it is impacting his self esteem, I am really worried that he will end up with a scar. Any info you can share in this regard?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 07:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
Is it a birthmark or a regular mole? I had a couple of moles removed from my back. It was an outpatient procedure, and the doctor just used a local anaesthetic. It was very quick and painless. If your son has this done he will have a scar. Mine are less than an inch in length and not that noticeable, but they are on my back.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
My teenage son has a thick, dark, raised mole right in the middle of his cheek, with a few hairs growing out of it. He was born with this mole, its nothing new, and he always hated it. He cuts off the hair, so at least that can be helped... However, he is a very handsome kid (in my opinion), and I think its really getting to him now that he is a bit older. He told me we wants to have it removed. Although I can see why, as it is impacting his self esteem, I am really worried that he will end up with a scar. Any info you can share in this regard?

Thanks!
A good cosmetic doctor will that the ugly bad boy off and not leave much of a scar at all.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
It can be removed and it will leave a faint scar--probably won't even be noticeable. The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes moles grow back. He will probably be told that by the doctor. It is a painless procedure and will make him very happy.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,520 times
I had one removed off my shoulder blade which left a scar. I had 2 others shaved down with a razor blade by my dermatologist which left no scars.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Thank you, all. Now how do I find a good cosmetic surgeon? We are in central NJ, and are new to the area... Also, do you have any idea of the cost? I would imagine is out of pocket, I don't think insurance covers these procedures...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
Thank you, all. Now how do I find a good cosmetic surgeon? We are in central NJ, and are new to the area... Also, do you have any idea of the cost? I would imagine is out of pocket, I don't think insurance covers these procedures...
insurance covered the mole removal on my face. it was done by a dermatologist. the needle used to numb the area was very tiny and hardly hurt at all. less than a bee sting. the mole removal was very easy and I have no scar at all. I would think if he had a scar it would be slight and I think he would prefer it to the mole.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
Insurance should cover the expense, especially since they will/should biopsy the mole (SOP). You may need a referral from your family physician.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:56 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Julio Inglesias
Sarah Jessica Parker

Mole removal is not a big deal. Probably less than $100 will do the trick. I would think that any dermatologist could do it very quickly and easily.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Insurance should cover the expense, especially since they will/should biopsy the mole (SOP). You may need a referral from your family physician.
Great advice! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty