U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times

Advertisements

I shop GAP online. I like them for the sales and understated pieces. When stuff is not on sale I think some things can be a little high priced for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 69,772 times
Good quality clothes. But I hate the prices.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,055,111 times
I used to LOVE the Gap, now, not so much. I worked for the Gap (through high school, college, and a little after college) for 8 years. This was back when the Gap was known for "classics" and basics, stuff that was good quality and never goes out of style. I left them in 1993, but I still have Gap stuff from the late 80s/ early 90s, that still looks good, and that people still compliment me on.

But in the 90s at some point, they went from preppy/classic to uber-trendy. That's when they lost me. I don't like clothes that are in style today, but that I'll have to get rid of next year. The quality also seemed to go downhill. I don't mind paying more, as long as clothes are good quality.

The clothes also seem to be now geared toward the very young, teens and 20-somethings. Skinny t-shirts and short shorts. When I worked there, we had stuff that was good for all ages. Some things were good for me at like 18 or 20, but there were still things that looked good one someone who was 35 or 45 (surprise, the people with more money to spend!)

I also HATE how the stores are sloppy today. When I worked there I was the obsessive-compulsive folder; I could make all the stuff look perfect, and would quickly re-fold when someone messed something up. My denim walls were always a sight to be seen! Now the clothes are barely folded, maybe just folded loosely in half and draped over a table looking wrinkly. The last time I went physically into a Gap, the jeans were backwards in the wall, with the waistbands facing out! What a freaking mess.

I used to hate the pressure to go up to every single person that walked in, and ask them how I can help them before they could even look around. when I shop, I want to be left alone unless I decide I need help; then I'll ask someone, and at that point, they'd better be helpful. But it was so uncomfortable to have to constantly to up to people and bug them, knowing I wouldn't like that myself. But because I was the super-folder, I'd sort of cut a deal where I could back off of customers and focus on keeping the store looking good. Some managers agreed with me that they needed me keeping things organized and neat, and they wanted to get out before 11pm.

I will still occasionally buy something from them, but it's usually online, so I can avoid the high-pressure salespeople. But since I like classics, I stick more to LL Bean and Eddie Bauer now.

I do still miss my discount though! I never liked math, but I could calculate 20% off of anything in like 0.3 seconds. We also used to get about 2 outfits a month for 50% off. That's the basis for most of my classic/basic wardrobe to this day, and I'm now 41.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM

174 posts, read 510,197 times
Their clothes are way overpriced and the quality doesn't justify the kind of prices that they are charging. Their styles all seemed to be geared towards the early 20s crowd.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,687,970 times
Mrs Chamataka shops at Gap and Old Navy. It's a good shopping place for the women, BR too, as the same parent company owns it all.

But for guys, I used to buy at Gap in the past, but lately I have been hooked on to Express and have become Express exclusive. Coz they make the best and the true "S" size shirts, fitted and classic. When they say "S" in gap, it's actually between M and XL in Express. I think they are quite liberal in their sizing, which disappoints me a bit.

Besides, Gap was caught exploiting people in my home country. I am not sure which other places make clothes in such cruel sweat shops in India and China. If I were to research it and boycott it all, I'll have to go naked I guess, for it's the route all clothes companies are headed unfortunately. But Gap was caught red handed and I've been disliking them since.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,137,778 times
Gap in general isn't as popular is it used to be. It's just not on the fashion list anymore. I personally feel the quality has gone down since I was a teenager.

I do go into Gap for boxers and socks... I love their socks.

I also pop into Banana if I need a quick cheap dress shirt, or just need something in a hurry for an event. I also get boxers and socks there.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,239,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Do you like the Gap? When you go to the Gap do you like the salespeople to help you out or leave you alone? Tell me what you like and what you don't like

I used to service their computer systems for GAP..I had the most ridicules people call me when something went wrong, they or most of them were so rude, just because they sold clothes they would act like the $h!t didnt stink
So I would tell them do you have an I.T. degree? then they would say no, and I would say I do, so let me do my job and fix your system.
If I was in there shopping I'd rather be left alone, but knowing a sales person would help me when needed.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Every once in a while I find something I like at The Gap but usually not; I find most of their lines to be boring and overpriced.

Service is spotty and varies from store to store and even individual to individual. I have had outstanding service at some locations and horrible service at others. But it's usually OK.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,799,764 times
I shopped at the Gap as a teen....nowadays not so much, in fact last time I shopped there was at the Baby Gap for my daughter....years ago! Not really into their clothes for myself.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,399,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Do you like the Gap? When you go to the Gap do you like the salespeople to help you out or leave you alone? Tell me what you like and what you don't like
I don't like the Gap. Its too boring. When I go in there, nothing 'grabs' me. The colors are very bland. I don't even bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty