U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,872,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Lol. Her skin tone isn't Russian??
Pray, tell me, what is a Russian skin tone? As one myself I am quite curious.
You do realize how large Russia is and that it originated from multiple 'tribes'. Most people do not know this, but there are Russians that look Asian, there are Russians with blonde hair and fair skin, there are Russians that look middle eastern, etc. There are people in my family who look Greek, just as there are people in my family who look very fair. There is no one "look" so your examples aren't quite justified. If one goes overseas one will see how many different 'looks' there are of Russians as the country is so vast that appearances may vary depending on the region. Similarly to most other countries, however Russia might be more extreme since it is greater in area size and therefore may differ more depending on region. Tatars, Uzbeks, Mongols, Belarus, Siberians, Slavs, all have been part of ancient Russian tribes for many many centuries.
Tatars, Uzbeks, Mongols, and Siberians are Asian tribes, not Russian, although they may be Russian citizens if they were born in Russia. I made the distinction of ethnic Russian in my post. The Russian Empire expanded and annexed regions with various non-Russian ethnic groups. I didn't claim there was one look.

Most of the people in my family fall into the blond hair/blue-grey eyes category, with many of them having darker hair when they are older. There are a few who are dark-skinned enough to retain what most people would call a tan throughout the year. But it is the tone of that darkness that appears different among different peoples (or races). Probably a better example to use is Asians and Mexicans. Both are dark skinned, but there is a noticeable difference in the color of their skin.

BTW, Russians originated from the Kievian-Rus, and empire which was founded by people from Scandinavians and eastern Slavic tribes. The empire expanded mainly toward the northeast into what is now European Russia. We have DNA testing now. There is surprisingly little DNA contribution from the Mongol invasion and the Ottoman Empire. There is some mixing in region of Kazakhstan, and although I haven't looked it up, there is probably some mixing as the result of Turks who remained in a few areas of Southern Ukraine.

The Soviet Union also had a policy of moving people around the USSR. The result was moving Russians into Siberia, moving people from the Caucausus to Moscow, etc. And even prior to that many people were exiled into different regions of the Russian Empire. My family was exiled from Central Russia to Tbilisi, Georgia sometime in the 1800s.

Last edited by KC6ZLV; 02-18-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,981,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
I raise you! Joanna Krupa was the hottest gal to ever appear on DWTS.
I beg to differ. Nicole Scherzinger is by far the hottest one to appear on DWTS.

Google

Surprise. She is part Russian.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM

9,444 posts, read 14,981,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
D'oh! My mistake.

Greatest Polish Import to America ever. You should see her in person. WOW!!!

THIS is the the greatest Czech import - Zuzanna:
Her body is great, but her face is just cute.

She has my voice and her accent is very similar to mine.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM

874 posts, read 1,348,926 times
Yeah, they are pretty. They would be in my top 3 types of women I'd like.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Why don't we have weather forecasters like this in the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWHfQvYgFM

Красивая!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:01 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
I love it when people who don't know anything Asian appearances keep talking about them.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I love it when people who don't know anything Asian appearances keep talking about them.

Who keeps talking about Asian appearances? Certainly everyone who has posted in this thread knows a significant amount of Asians have certain common physical traits. It is easy to recognize someone who is Japanese, Korean or Chinese as Asian, for example. Some of them may not be aware of other elasticities as having an Asian origin, or that some of them somewhat resemble Southern Europeans, minus lighter hair and eye colour to any great extent.

To make the accusation that these people don't know anything about Asians without explaining yourself so others can clarify any misunderstanding is quite a stretch.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Probably a better example to use is Asians and Mexicans. Both are dark skinned, but there is a noticeable difference in the color of their skin.
Enough said. I shouldn't have to explain "Asian" skin tones because you obviously think you know a "significant amount of Asians have certain common physical traits". Or not.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Enough said. I shouldn't have to explain "Asian" skin tones because you obviously think you know a "significant amount of Asians have certain common physical traits". Or not.
Are you telling me I'm wrong in stating most Asians are darker skinned, have straight very dark brown to black hair and brown eyes, or are you just trolling your way through the forums looking for an argument?

People have varying degrees of what they perceive different races have as far as physical traits. Referring to Swedes having blond hair as a common physical trait when quite a few of them actually have brown hair doesn't make someone ignorant.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Are you telling me I'm wrong in stating most Asians are darker skinned, have straight very dark brown to black hair and brown eyes, or are you just trolling your way through the forums looking for an argument?

People have varying degrees of what they perceive different races have as far as physical traits. Referring to Swedes having blond hair as a common physical trait when quite a few of them actually have brown hair doesn't make someone ignorant.
Since you seem truly ignorant you might want to read the first sentence from the American Academy of Dermatology. Your varying degree of perception is just wrong.

Treating Asian Skin Requires a Delicate Balance Between Clearing the Condition, Preserving Pigmentation

"The U.S. Census Bureau predicts that the Asian-American population will total 40 million people by 2050. While as a whole this group is characterized by very dark hair and dark eyes, there is much diversity in Asian skin tones from very light, pale skin to light or dark brown skin"

Maybe you do not realize it, but a significant percentage of us have very pale skin (pink based) that is paler than the average Caucasian. More have a yellow base with pale to medium tones. Then there are darker Asians. Secondly there are so many different types of Asians you cannot lump it all in one group.

You did not say "most" have darker skin. You pretty much lumped Asians with Mexicans and said "both have dark skin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty