U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM

7,458 posts, read 11,128,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Unless you are a buyer for a clothing store, or a member of the fashion press, your opinion doesn't matter. They are trying to sell clothing, not to appeal to the average person on the street.
Wrong. You make it sound so simple, there is far more to it than that.
What about all the TV rights and advertising. On my pay TV I have a fashion channel that runs 24/7. Not to mention all the other forms of advertising aimed at the public. All big revenue creators, where the general public is their market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

236 posts, read 762,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always wondered who actually wore those clothes. I don't see most women wearing what those catwalk models wear, so they're obviously designed for rich, anorexic Coke addicts.
I always assumed it was for rich people I've never heard of.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
What about all the TV rights and advertising. On my pay TV I have a fashion channel that runs 24/7. Not to mention all the other forms of advertising aimed at the public. All big revenue creators, where the general public is their market.
So open an atelier and a modeling agency.
Let us know how that works out for ya.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,128,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So open an atelier and a modeling agency.
Let us know how that works out for ya.
Don't hijack my thread with irrelevent dribble.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,814,706 times
Dave nz, you need to check out Fashion TV in HD. Its 99% fashion runway shows and believe me, there are some HOT models out there in the world. I rarely and I mean RARELY (maybe once a month you'll see one) see the super skinny "anorexic" type models that fat women usually complain about. They havent been around since the 80s or 90s. Sure some fat chick will go out and try to Google "anorexic model" and try to post here, but from what I have seen in watching Fashion TV over the past year or more, those types of models no longer exist. You'll still see thin women but they are GOOD LOOKING HEALTHY THIN WOMEN.

Get yourself Fashion TV and check out the greatest shows that are on tv:

Midnite Haute - comes on a 9:00pm every night here on the west coast. Probably midnite everywhere else. Nothing but sexy sexy fashion - lingere, swimsuits, sexy high fashion photoshoots, etc.

Swimwear - nothing but swimsuit fashion on the runway and/or designer swimwear photo shoots.

Lingere - nothing but lingere on the runway.

Here is some smoking hot model sexiness for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFD-bWntGMI

Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 AM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Let's not forget that designers also like having one size to deal with because it makes designing and fitting easier (than, say, having to create a bunch of different styled, different fitting clothes for all sorts of different women for one show).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM

7,371 posts, read 12,321,939 times
Quote:
No, I'm right: your opinion does not matter. If it did, you would get your wish.

The fashion channels show what happens on the runway but they do not drive what happens there. If you don't like what you see, why do you keep watching? Does your tv not have an "off" switch?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The clothing are IDEAS to inspire the "knockoff" companies that produce similar clothing for the unwashed masses. The designers set the trend with a few pieces for select clientele.
^ This. The seasonal trends are set by the top designers. Seeing a lot of purple? Chunky heels are out and stilletos are in? Military jackets or poet blouses or corsages or fedoras or leather pants or whatever you see in the windows at the mall, all of that is trickle-down from the big designers and what they put in their shows.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,625,250 times
Quote:
Don't hijack my thread with irrelevent dribble.
Its just as relevant as your rant about models and the fashion industry, which you obviously know nothing about.
When you become a mod here, you can scold me, until then......

Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
Models have always been skinny but, for the most part, they aren't as flat-chested as they were in the 50's thru the 80's. I began to notice that many models, though twig'ish and buttless, actually have more curves to their chests. I can understand (somewhat) the need to have "walking clothes hangers" on the runways; however, certain styles, designs and cuts would look better with some curves to them. Halter-style tops and dresses are a good example.

Models in the 40's thru much of the 60's were very, very slender but in a dainty Audrey Hepburn way. Twiggy inspired the boney look that hung around awhile, then the 80's gave us skinny but muscle-toned look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or