U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,594,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
For the past couple of months I have been lusting after a Juicy Couture handbag. Literally dreaming and fantasising about holding that beauty in my arms.

I finally told my mom about the feelings I have for the brand. She started making jokes that she was going to buy me a fake one, and that I would never know the difference. Well, I would.

I believe if you truly like a brand, you won't buy knockoffs. Knockoffs are an insult to the brand. If I bought a fake would Juicy Couture get my money? NO!

And fakes aren't even in good quality. There's usually a misprint, or obviously messed up stitching!

How do you all feel about knockoff brands? Not just purses, but ANYTHING!

And don't you know that real brand wants your money as well? This is starting to get on my nerve, becoming more of a pet-peeve. Why do you care about what's real and what's fake in your closet? Just be SMART about what you buy. Not everyone has the money to buy the real stuff.

When it comes to quality and quanity, I know my own philosophy. If it's real and expensive and I like it, I'm going something familiar to the style and brand. I'm never going to buy a freaken bag that cost $500 when some other brands sell something similiar thing for $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
For the past couple of months I have been lusting after a Juicy Couture handbag. Literally dreaming and fantasising about holding that beauty in my arms.

I finally told my mom about the feelings I have for the brand. She started making jokes that she was going to buy me a fake one, and that I would never know the difference. Well, I would.

I believe if you truly like a brand, you won't buy knockoffs. Knockoffs are an insult to the brand. If I bought a fake would Juicy Couture get my money? NO!

And fakes aren't even in good quality. There's usually a misprint, or obviously messed up stitching!

How do you all feel about knockoff brands? Not just purses, but ANYTHING!

Personally I'm not a fan of knock offs.

But then again, I'm not that big a fan of the very expensive brands. I don't like too much branding (which those brands do in excess).

I'm happy to spend money on an item from a boutique store from a local designer. This way the masses don't have what I do.

But each to their own....

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM

806 posts, read 1,954,778 times
I always wonder why people who obviously do not have a lot of money will do all they can to save up to buy a designer brand. The only winners are the brands, they don't care about the consumers..They just want to make money.

I have worked with girls who busted their butts waitressing just to buy the newest Coach bag, and were all excited once they got it, but after a while it got old, then they wanted another one. Meanwhile they are living paycheck to paycheck...
I fell for the fad in a weak time of my life, and bought one off the street corner from the guy with all the brands spewed out on a piece of plywood.. I got so many compliments on that bag when I did use it a few times. now it just sits in my closet..
I realized It was not my style..I'm just glad I didn't dump $300 for it!!!!

No, I don't care if its real or fake. It is a pet peeve of mine to see "hollister" and "abercrombie" everywhere, and the ball cap with that stupid gold sticker attached to the brim.. GET OVER IT PEOPLE....

UNLESS YOU ARE RICH, YOU ARE WASTING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON TRYING TO IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS.... who cares....
Save up for something more important...

Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
And if you are rich, and you're buying brands to impress your friends, you're still wasting money, because none of your friends are impressed, anyway, because they have them, too.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
I'm no label who re, but I would absolutely never knowingly buy anything counterfeit or imposter or knock-off because the money goes to fund criminal activity. Here's just one example of where your money goes when you purchase a counterfeit item:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/bu...e.4569452.html

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

236 posts, read 762,533 times
A lot of the girls in my school are sporting Louis Vuitton and Coach bags. I know they're fake because I know where they're getting them from. There's an Asian woman at the local mall who has a store, and she sells fake bags. Apparently she has a permit to do so. Not only does she sell fake bags, but she also sells fake Juicy Couture and Tiffany bracelets. I even saw Louis Vuitton luggage bags, and hats.

I won't lie some of those bags were very convining.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM

230 posts, read 535,036 times
If one is exceptionally inclined to have a bag with a logo stamped all over it, they might as well buy a knock-off. That bag is going to be out of style pretty quickly. In a year you're going to be shoving it far away in your closet, where the trucker hat and Abercrombie sweatshirt went in 2006.
My only hesitation for knockoffs is that most of them come from sweatshops and have ties to criminal activity. An exceptional knockoff also infringes on brand trademarks (I care less about this, I think LVMH has more than enough money and has completely saturated the market with LV. Same for Juicy Couture - enough already!).
With that said, if you're buying a handbag, don't go for the logo, go for the quality. Make sure the leather is soft and the stitching is durable. The zippers should feel sturdy in your hand and the bag should be nicely lined with quality material.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Given the income of the majority of high school aged girls, if they are carrying designer handbags, they are either being given them by parents, which makes not much of a statement other than the fact that they are indulged, or they are saving for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time on their part-time GAP t-shirt folder paychecks and babysitting advances to get something they read about in magazines or saw on E!, which also isn't particularly reflective of anything special. It's not like you look at your average high schooler and her purse and think, "Wow, Louis Vuitton! She must have really arrived in life at age 16! Guess she's set!" No, if you even notice, or think anything at all, you either think, "Wow, she knows show to blow her money," or "Huh, mom and dad buy her whatever she wants."

Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 PM

806 posts, read 1,954,778 times
It's all Paris Hiltons' fault!!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
given the income of the majority of high school aged girls, if they are carrying designer handbags, they are either being given them by parents, which makes not much of a statement other than the fact that they are indulged, or they are saving for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time on their part-time gap t-shirt folder paychecks and babysitting advances to get something they read about in magazines or saw on e!, which also isn't particularly reflective of anything special. It's not like you look at your average high schooler and her purse and think, "wow, louis vuitton! She must have really arrived in life at age 16! Guess she's set!" no, if you even notice, or think anything at all, you either think, "wow, she knows show to blow her money," or "huh, mom and dad buy her whatever she wants."
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty