Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,789,658 times

Advertisements

Whenever I see a person with tattoos, my first reaction is to wonder about their foresight, impulsiveness and social integration. The oft repeated 'permanent artwork' mantre, does not stand the test of time, since people often regret earlier, immature actions .... yet, with tattoos, are stuck with the highly visible evidence!

Heavily tattoo'd people often explain that their tattoos depict and help them remember or commemorate a littany of events or people. Okay ... but, does that mean they would 'forget them' ... without the disfiguring tattoos? Ultimately (today), extensive tattoos are probably most often associated with poor or irrational decisions people make without thinking.

Yes, ..."it is one's own body to do with as they wish," regardless of what others think or their own later regrets. Of course, this answer only leads back to the perception that multi-tattoo'd people are somewhat impulsive and lack foresight. It's pretty difficult to take an adult with multiple tattoos seriously ... in a business or social setting involving educated people.

BTW, I don't normally respond to this type of thread, but have always been curious about the 'logic' of tattoos.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
I dunno, I thought I asked pretty nicely.
I thought so too, for about the first half of your original post... but then you threw in the usual snarks and obnoxious keywords. Actually, the nice parts are the only reason I started reading your post - then I got halfway through, and realized it was just another tattoo-bashing thread. By then it was too late to ignore.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM

236 posts, read 859,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't know about you, but I try not to be judgmental on OR off the internet...

That's still generalizing an awful lot... do you think cultural/tribal tattoos are tacky & trashy? Like this guy: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3TIsWb_FF6DbBg
Or this traditional Thai tattoo: http://www.tigermuaythai.com/wp-core...t-tattoo-1.jpg
Ah, I was waiting for this one. You see, that's different. That's apart of their culture, that's apart of their belief system.

Quote:
Or how about something small, subtle, and non-visible (in normal street clothes)? http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...URibDtXmVG1Rbg
Ugh, too flowery. I don't see a point in that. I get it she likes flowers, why not plant a flower patch or something.

BTW, that isn't small.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's pretty difficult to take an adult with multiple tattoos seriously ... in a business or social setting involving educated people.
Eh... people never have trouble taking me seriously, and I'm in a highly professional & intellectual field (librarianship). Even if my tattoos are showing, it doesn't take away from the fact that I'm good at my job. Maybe it's because I live in the Bay Area, where even your surgeon will probably have a few - but it's never been an issue with work or school. Thankfully not everyone is that judgmental, and don't assume a mark on my skin reflects my education or professional abilities.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, I was waiting for this one. You see, that's different. That's apart of their culture, that's apart of their belief system.
How do you know MINE aren't culturally significant? You're just assuming things, and judging all tattooed people as one... you never specified, just painted that broad brush of "tattooed folks."

Quote:
Ugh, too flowery. I don't see a point in that. I get it she likes flowers, why not plant a flower patch or something.

BTW, that isn't small.
It's pretty small by tattooing standards... and too flowery for my taste as well, but I'm not the one wearing it. We all have different ideas of what's pretty, and clearly she thinks those flowers are pretty. Good for her!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
tattoos are for boring people that want to seem interesting.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
How do you know MINE aren't culturally significant?
Okay, are your tattoos culturally significant?
Quote:
It's pretty small by tattooing standards... and too flowery for my taste as well, but I'm not the one wearing it. We all have different ideas of what's pretty, and clearly she thinks those flowers are pretty. Good for her!
Yes, good for her. I only wonder what those flowers will look like in a couple years if she gains weight. Not a good sight....

Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Ah, how interesting!

Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Okay, are your tattoos culturally significant?
A couple of them are, yes...

Quote:
Yes, good for her. I only wonder what those flowers will look like in a couple years if she gains weight. Not a good sight....
Actually, the shoulderblade doesn't change much with age or weight loss... I've gained and lost a LOT of weight over the years (currently holding steady at a healthy weight), and my tattoos haven't changed at all. I thought of that ahead of time, and stuck mostly to "tight" places like the shoulderblade, back & ankle. Even the ones on fleshier spots haven't changed, so I think that's kind of a myth - with the exception maybe of a post-pregnancy belly.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Sometimes I wish I were a boring person, but my natural looks alone keep me from ever being "typical" - try blending in with a bright red Afro, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.