Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I'd place you somewhere in the late 40's range.

XD I'd post a pic and ask the same question, but I have no pictures that are out-of-costume.
So should I go with the mean between you and city_data91?

I did learn in time that style/fashion means a lot in the way people judge age, particularly in the US. Many will seriously overestimate years if you don't sport long, perfectly blow-dried locks flying in the wind, if you don't dress "young" or if you don't adopt that carefree, "whatever", teen-ager-ish attitude in the way you carry yourself - regardless of the condition of your skin. Likewise, if you have the said long locks flying in the wind and a skinny, gym-worked butt, people will be underestimating years even if the face itself shows collagen loss, withering and wrinkles. Where I am coming from that look comes across as completely inappropriate but then again, relatively young people do come across as more "mature" for their age (because of style and way of carrying yourself).

The funny thing is that, before I adopted the convenient "mommy cut" evident in this picture, I had past shoulder length hair, often blow dried straight...and I had at least 4 people telling me I looked in my early 30's. That was just a few months ago.

At the same time, I know I've always looked and acted more mature/"wiser" than my age; at 17 I behaved like anything but a 17yo.
It was more like...a late 40's one. I must have always been old. :-))

Thanks everyone, this is really interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
The age a person looks comes from a variety of factors. Facial structure, hair style and color, and makeup choice are just as important as "how wrinkled" the face is. Myself, I sport a cut similar to Emma Watson's that is black and purple. For makeup, I shy away from everything except vibrant eyeshadows and jet black eyeliner. Sometimes I'll use mascara.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
I saw a video about the phenomenon. It was hosted by a British guy and he interviewed an “expert” a plastic surgeon, I think. They interviewed him and he said women are at their most attractive between something like 14 and 24.

I don’t know if women lose their “looks” at 35 LOL but I sure am losing mine. Things start to bulge…LOL things start to sag. I have smile lines and I think I have wrinkles under my eyes!!! But I’m smarter and I have more money and power over people’s lives. I love that. LOL So it’s a trade-off.

There’s more to life than being s*xu@lly attractive to the opposite sex. I mean… I hear the hot-flashes are a great way to save on heating costs! LOL and saddlebags are like ready-made padding…no more chairs that are too hard to sit in. I’m crying on the inside…

Old 03-08-2011, 02:35 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

I did learn in time that style/fashion means a lot in the way people judge age, particularly in the US. Many will seriously overestimate years if you don't sport long, perfectly blow-dried locks flying in the wind, if you don't dress "young" or if you don't adopt that carefree, "whatever", teen-ager-ish attitude in the way you carry yourself - regardless of the condition of your skin. Likewise, if you have the said long locks flying in the wind and a skinny, gym-worked butt, people will be underestimating years even if the face itself shows collagen loss, withering and wrinkles. Where I am coming from that look comes across as completely inappropriate but then again, relatively young people do come across as more "mature" for their age (because of style and way of carrying yourself).

The funny thing is that, before I adopted the convenient "mommy cut" evident in this picture, I had past shoulder length hair, often blow dried straight...and I had at least 4 people telling me I looked in my early 30's. That was just a few months ago.

At the same time, I know I've always looked and acted more mature/"wiser" than my age; at 17 I behaved like anything but a 17yo.

I was just thinking that the cut makes you look more mature (note...not old), but if your hair was longer, heck I would probably peg you for your late 20s!!! You definitely don't look 40 or older!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
I guess that's why so many of us who got attention, but weren't constantly hounded by every man that walked past us, have been able to move into our 30s and 40s without feeling like ugly ducklings.

I find I get plenty of attention here at 43. I got more when I was a teenager... more than I got in my twenties, more than I got in my 30s... but not INCREDIBLY more or less.

One of my best friends in HS was this girl who was always with a different boyfriend (I just consistently had a steady guy, otoh)... she's blonde, quite tall, etc.

She seems to have really struggled over the year with losing her youthful appearance. She's still quite pretty (though she's got drier skin than me, so she's got a bit more wrinkles than I do... I have almost none), though.

Funny how that works.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times
Syracusa - I wouldn't have put you anywhere near late 40's. You look about the same age as my daughter and her friends. My daughter is 32 and her friends are mostly aged 30-35.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

I would have said 35 years old

I've also been told I act more mature/wiser for my age. When I was 19 I was told that some person thought I was 26....also been asked from about the age of 23 how many kids I have.. I must put something out there. Most of my friends are 5-7 years older than me too.

Oddly, people now say I look my age?!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
Kobbe, Importer'swife and Ozgal - you certainly sweetened it, that was very...well...sweet of you!
But then again, I know what Rita is talking about; I HAVE been sporting a pretty mature look lately. Shorter mom cut, scarves around the neck like those dusty, older French women who take themselves seriously, etc .....

Besides, I have never been really skinny and I know that skinny and long hair DOES make women look younger, generally speaking - unless their face is so obviously withered that it becomes creepy.

Now...to avoid "the late 40's" syndrome when I am 38... I am going to have to grow the darn hair back past my shoulders again, blow dry it really, really straight by paying lots of money at the hair dresser's , lose a few more pounds to accommodate very tight jeans on the behind...and stop dressing "French Salon" or something along those lines; because really, I don't see any other solution.

Or better yet, I will just get a physical and tell my doctor to run some bio-markers, get the biological age and if it's a good one, move on with my life, my mommy cut and my scarf.

In the meantime, people on the Cancer forum have been posting such heartbreaking and depressing posts that I feel really, really frivolous and ridiculous for spending even one more second on analyzing my face.

Thank you so much again for the input....but since I don't want to high jack the thread, I will take off the picture now. Thank you again!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,556 times
I'm a long term(20 year) survivor of AIDS. I've been on horrible medications for the last 13 years. At this point I'm just happy to be here and looking pretty good

Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I'm a long term(20 year) survivor of AIDS. I've been on horrible medications for the last 13 years. At this point I'm just happy to be here and looking pretty good
I'm sure you're beautiful. Beauty doesn't come from "looks" - true beauty comes from strength of character, kindness, capacity for love, the ability to weather life's storms and that inexplicable light from within. It's ashame that more people in our society don't see and celebrate that.

I've lost a couple of friends over the years from AIDS and I can guarantee you that your loved ones think you're the most stunningly, beautiful woman there is. I'd give anything to have my friends back and I can guarantee I wouldn't give a hill of beans about how they looked as long as they were healthy, smiling and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty