Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:53 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

When the bestselling book French Women Don't Get Fat came out in 2004, it was yet another occasion to begrudge Gallic females, who could always say oui to pâté, brie, and crème brûlée without ever having to get their Hermès skirts altered. It didn't help that the book's author, Mireille Guiliano, was then CEO of Clicquot (as in the champagne Veuve Clicquot) and was herself fabulously thin -- and wealthy.

France's obesity crisis: All those croissants really do add up, after all - DailyFinance

Interesting no ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Ahahahadukandiethahahafrencharentfatahahahaha.

Ha. Have some more protein with your fat, Ma Cherie!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Just my opinion: what makes French women "beautiful" is their self-confidence and sense of style.

Look at actresses like Audrey Tautou or Marion Cotillard. They are not strikingly beautiful like Sophia Loren was when she was their age but they have that "it" that the French do.

I wish I could explain it better but "je ne sais quoi" is truly an appropriate expression.
Of course this does not apply to actresses only (who have access to high-end beauty products, cosmetic surgery, etc.). I have seen many French women who were not exactly beautiful, some could afford to lose a few pounds or had imperfect teeth, etc. but they were incredibly charming, and could wear the most simple clothes with unshakable self confidence.

I am not French, this is just my sincere opinion.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

they have their self-confidence because French men are wrecks now, and it's from a French guy

Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
Maybe it is a good idea that there are not bakeries or cafes that serve real croissants (aka not pillsbury) where I live. I would be huge!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
I thought that drinking red wine was supposed to somehow offset all the butter in French cuisine? I guess the French are drinking less

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I thought that drinking red wine was supposed to somehow offset all the butter in French cuisine? I guess the French are drinking less
No, they're drinking the most after Russians ^^

Old 03-11-2011, 06:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
actually you're totally spot on with that observation

Wine consumption in France has been going down drastically in the past decade, partly due to changing eating habits that favor quick & convenient meals but also due to draconian anti-alcohol laws.

In France, it's illegal for wine & spirits companies to advertise or even be mentioned favorably in news articles/journals (less they be accused of product placement or endorsement). Drunk driving laws are also much more stringent than here in the US.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
actually you're totally spot on with that observation

Wine consumption in France has been going down drastically in the past decade, partly due to changing eating habits that favor quick & convenient meals but also due to draconian anti-alcohol laws.

In France, it's illegal for wine & spirits companies to advertise or even be mentioned favorably in news articles/journals (less they be accused of product placement or endorsement). Drunk driving laws are also much more stringent than here in the US.
French drink less than 50 years ago, but they still drink too much

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/p...ofiles/fra.pdf
Les Français boivent presque autant que les Russes | Slate

Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
When the bestselling book French Women Don't Get Fat came out in 2004, it was yet another occasion to begrudge Gallic females, who could always say oui to pâté, brie, and crème brûlée without ever having to get their Hermès skirts altered. It didn't help that the book's author, Mireille Guiliano, was then CEO of Clicquot (as in the champagne Veuve Clicquot) and was herself fabulously thin -- and wealthy.

France's obesity crisis: All those croissants really do add up, after all - DailyFinance

Interesting no ?
French Women Don't Get Fat is so 2000s. Get current with your information. The French are thinner than Americans because they walk and do an Atikins like diet called Dukan, which hits the U.S. next month.

The ultimate diet:The French have kept it a secret for years. Now the protein rich Dukan Diet is coming to Britain | Mail Online

The Dukan Diet | FitPerez.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty