Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how the media convinced us all that seasonal color theory is passe.... well, really it's the fashion industry that accomplished this. All the celebs wear and black but even Jenny's pictures show she looks better in pastels. Only a winters really look good in white.... but everyone wears it anyway. I'm happy about that at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:12 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd deepen the tone of your hair, add some chestnut and make the red much more subtle than it is now. It just distracts from your face, which is lovely.
I'm blond right now, a nice warm blond. I've been blond most of my adult life. The reddish brown was an experiment. This is what I look like now. From a vacation last month, in a great spring coral color

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-12-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I'm wondering how the media convinced us all that seasonal color theory is passe.... well, really it's the fashion industry that accomplished this. All the celebs wear and black but even Jenny's pictures show she looks better in pastels. Only a winters really look good in white.... but everyone wears it anyway. I'm happy about that at least.
I thought I was a winter. I wanted to be a winter. I really like the colors
I used to love black and think it looked good on me. Occasionally I would get a glimpse of myself in the mirror in bright light and wonder why I looked like a vampire. It was the black. Now, if I wear a spring color, without any makeup one, I look better than I do in cool toned make-up with a full face on. The right colors just do something for my face. The wrong ones make me look washed out. Cool tones are the worst, Warm autumn tones look OK as at least they are warm, but they don't look as good as spring tones. I'm almost 41. I'll take all the help I can get.

Not pastels, per say, Many of them are cool. Like certain pastel pink doesn't look good on me, but a warm, coral type pink does. Pastel blue doesn't look great on me but aqua and teal do . Most pastels are summer colors. Cool Muted and clear

Here is the spring palette

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-12-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM

I'm pretty sure you can buy swatches off the link I posted in the OP. Website is called The Chic Fashionista.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can buy swatches off the link I posted in the OP. Website is called The Chic Fashionista.
You can. I also bought a little book from the website I posted. I take it with me when I shop, well, when I don't forget to bring it

Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
I'm either an Autumn or a darker Spring with hazel eyes and chestnut brown hair. I tend to dress in spring colors though because too much brown and too much olive green just muddles me. The Clear Spring colors on that website fit my closet to a T.

I think there's some truth to the idea of people fitting color seasons. Everyone has colors that they gravitate to and that flatter them the best. It's difficult to pigeonhole a person into a rigid color system, but there are definitely good and bad colors for everyone. Don't put me in taupe or certain shades of blue.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Deep autumn. Those are totally my colors.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:10 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,606 times
Quote:
Were you color typed back in the day?
What season were/are you?
Do you think the theory is b.s.?
If so, why?
According to the 12 season theory, what season are you?
Would you buy clothes or decorate your house according to "your colors"?
Oh yeah...I remember this...I even have the book somewhere. I was pretty young though, but the idea has remained with me to this day. I completely believe it's true. It's pretty scientific...hold up the colors and you can instantly see which ones look better. I have found that the colors that do not look good on you tend to bring out dark circles...or you look like you need to put some makeup on. Also...my best colors look good even without makeup.

Color type back then...winter- but I look good in some summer colors.
Do I think the theory is b.s.- nope...I have seen it work for many...mom, aunts, cousins, and friends. To this day I look at someone and think wow, that's the right color- or eek wrong color.
According to the 12 season theory, what season are you? Deep winter would be the first choice, and then cool summer. In the original book icy blue was included in "winter" which is one of my best colors. I'm glad I'm winter as I love to wear black. And it's pretty hard to pull off black if you are not a winter.
Would you buy clothes or decorate your house according to "your colors"? I "do" buy clothes based on my colors. I found you often have to shop for them in your season. As far as my house...nope I like neutral earth tones.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Never followed it. The only color I don't like on myself is red. Otherwise I think I carry most of those colors pretty well and have many of them in my wardrobe.

As for my home, I prefer traditional/American historical colors and definitely don't base it my "seasonal colors."

Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Wow, amazing blog--- thanks for posting it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
sorry, Guys, I'm trying to make the pics smaller. It's not working.
To the sun damage, despite 16 years of living in San Diego, I have always been careful of the sun

HERE is a great blog on the issue, with lots of info
Fire, Ice, Earth and Air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty