U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 04:31 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,576,444 times

Advertisements

Have always heard that a skirted swimsuit camoflages plump upper thighs and chubby hips--or does it just make legs appear shorter and stubbier? Which leg style is best for problem hips?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,410,318 times
Personally, no matter how much I have weighed, I generally wear bikinis to the beach. 1. I can't fit into a one-piece because I'm apparently a freak...2. I'm half-naked anyway, so I'm going to look fat no matter how frumpy of a suit I wear.

I have short, stubby legs LOL...UM I mean I am PETITE ;D I think the only thing that makes me look better is a low-rise bikini bottom. I'm at work, so god forbid I should look for a screenshot. I have a short waist, so maybe that's the difference.

If your legs are "short and stubby" no cut of swimsuit is going to make them look different. I would say go for a two-piece or tankini that fits well on top and bottom and something with a lower waist that doesn't squeeze your tummy schmutz or thigh schmutz.

I think a low-waist as opposed to those suits that are cut high on the thigh look better on people with curvy thighs. You just have to make sure the suit fits and doesn't squeeze your thigh fat, if you have any or your tummy fat if you have any.

A plus is that if your tushie and thighs are exposed, they'll get more sun... therefore they'll be darker, providing a natural slimming effect. LOL Buying that?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,127,016 times
I have big hips and the skirted swimsuits definitely work for me! Just make sure the skirt is as short as possible and it won't make you look stubby.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM

3,409 posts, read 3,838,601 times
I don't mind the plump hips and I'm a guy!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,721,568 times
I just got back from Hawaii. It seemed like the women who wore those skirted bathingsuits kind of drew attention to themselves, which is I think the opposite of what they were trying to do. Especially to the area of their butts which I'm thinking is what those skirted swimsuits and board shorts and the like are supposed to cover up.

I'm no skinny minnie, I'm average with proportioned curves, but I got a great one-piece at Lands End that I really loved - until I was in Hawaii. Even though I'm a little shy about showing too much skin, and I"m a mom so I'm always worried about "falling out" while swimming or playing with my kids, I almost bought an itty bitty bikini in Hawaii simply because the sun felt so wonderful!

http://www.landsend.com/ix/swimwear-swimsuits/Swim/Women/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=644~645&visible=1~ 2~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&tab=6&cm_re=D-1-1

I really love Lands End swimsuits because you can order by bra size and the suits give you great support.

Good luck! One of the hardest things for women to shop for is a swimsuit you feel good and beautiful in.

(editing to add that I did read in some magazine years ago that bathingsuits with higher leg cuts give you the appearance of longer legs and a smaller butt...)

Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I just got back from Hawaii. It seemed like the women who wore those skirted bathingsuits kind of drew attention to themselves, which is I think the opposite of what they were trying to do. Especially to the area of their butts which I'm thinking is what those skirted swimsuits and board shorts and the like are supposed to cover up.

I'm no skinny minnie, I'm average with proportioned curves, but I got a great one-piece at Lands End that I really loved - until I was in Hawaii. Even though I'm a little shy about showing too much skin, and I"m a mom so I'm always worried about "falling out" while swimming or playing with my kids, I almost bought an itty bitty bikini in Hawaii simply because the sun felt so wonderful!

http://www.landsend.com/ix/swimwear-swimsuits/Swim/Women/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=644~645&visible=1~ 2~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&tab=6&cm_re=D-1-1

I really love Lands End swimsuits because you can order by bra size and the suits give you great support.

Good luck! One of the hardest things for women to shop for is a swimsuit you feel good and beautiful in.

(editing to add that I did read in some magazine years ago that bathingsuits with higher leg cuts give you the appearance of longer legs and a smaller butt...)
I think they draw more attention than a one piece as well. It just asks look at this IMO.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 PM

11,633 posts, read 17,044,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I think they draw more attention than a one piece as well. It just asks look at this IMO.
Big Bad John..what are you doing here discussing swim suits?!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
I like the ones with the boy-short bottoms best. I am heavy, but i'm not a 'skirt person.' So i dont feel that comfortable in a skirted suit. They have many other types of bottoms, if you look at mix-and-match type two-piece suits (especially online).

They have the boy-short bottoms, longer short bottoms, short bottoms that are like board shorts, and some that have strings inside the sides so you can adjust to however short you'd like them. I dont know if youre worried about your hips alone - but if that's all it is, then wear a nice suit with high-cut legs. That lengthens the look of your legs.

I am older now and went a lot of years not going to the beach... now i go, i wear a nice suit that fits me well, and i enjoy myself. Get some sun and feel good! Walk confident while you are there

People of all body-types deserve to go to the beach.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Big Bad John..what are you doing here discussing swim suits?!
Telling the gals they worry too much about it. You know.... from a MAN'S perspective. I think those flaps look worse than a good fitting one piece if you can't do the bikini.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,721,568 times
Yep. When we were gearing up for Hawaii I kept thinking I was going to feel really out of place. I thought all the other people there would be these gorgeous knock-out surfer types and swimsuit models.

We got there and I realized how dumb my line of thinking was! Especially considering we were heading to such a touristy state! People come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I relaxed right away and had an awesome time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty