Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,266,611 times

Advertisements

Americans' Standards of Beauty Change (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/entertainment/standards-of-beauty-change-3-15-2011 - broken link)

What's Beautiful Now: The Allure American Beauty Survey: Inside Allure: allure.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,622,087 times
I can safely say curvy women look the best. Let's face it, which guy in his right mind likes the lean, fit and slender woman who looks like a boy

It's been a long standing propaganda propagated by the fashion industry which is dominated by gay men and women. Is it rocket science to even grasp that??

Good for the new standards. Curves for me, any given day

Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,301,023 times
I agree that while it feels to me like there is a wider range of support for different body types these days, the backlash seems to have redoubled on aging. Whereas the emphasis used to be very strongly on skinny at all costs, it's now more noticeably on youthful at all costs. Or maybe I just notice it more, now, because I'm in my 30s.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,410,218 times
America is obsessed with youthful-ness at any cost. That's all.
What America doesn't realize is that maturing women who try to look and act teen-ish and twenty-ish come across as ugly.

A maturing woman is beautiful when she allows her maturity to shine through. Grasping at juvenile straws never looks good. EVER. It looks sad and ridiculous.
Regardless of the phenomenal condition of your skin, body, you name it.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,266,611 times
It used to be called Looking Good For Your Age. Now it's called Anti Aging and likened to some kind of desperate need to look much much younger. That is not what it's about really.... Ageism is alive and well in this country and probably always will be. I try as much as I can to view some of my new habits through the lens of wellness rather than vanity.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM

236 posts, read 858,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Let's face it, which guy in his right mind likes the lean, fit and slender woman who looks like a boy

Why not?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
Why not?
I guess...just not that many guys in their right mind left.
The mass-media with its propaganda machines did their job well.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,099,601 times
No matter what shape I have been in (skinny and muscular or a little chubby and tired), men have always shown interest.

I say men aren't always as shallow as we label them...some like confidence, charm, wit, and kindness.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 PM

236 posts, read 858,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I guess...just not that many guys in their right mind left.
The mass-media with its propaganda machines did their job well.

So guys that like slender chicks aren't thinking right?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
So guys that like slender chicks aren't thinking right?
Skinny-bone with ripped muscles all over...and an overall masculine body, I would say yeah.
Women were not designed to look that way. Femaleness is slightly soft and round and curvy; and no, that doesn't have to mean "fat".
Female body is "Marylin Monroe body", not "Demi Moore body" or "Madonna body".

Women naturally have more fat and less muscle on them than men do. Yet cultural standards have been telling everyone that beautiful women now have to be "muscular", "tight" and "fit", pretty much like men are, just a few notches down, maybe. So now most have to do tons of leisurely exercising to get to that cultural ideal.

This is cultural BS, it is not nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty