U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 9,133 times

Advertisements

curious question:

i was wondering what is the percentage of the clothing in your wardrobe is strictly vintage? any specific stores you guys go to (online or otherwise)?

lately ive been on a real vintage kick, i think a lot of it has to do with Mad Men and all those amazing dresses on the show.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,776,541 times
There used to be a place in Hamden, CT, called Dud's. It was across the street from the high school, upstairs from some kind of machine shop, or auto parts store, or something odd like that. That was where I got most of my vintage stuff, including my wedding gown. It looked a little like this:

1940's Champagne Silk Satin Formal Wedding Gown : The very BEST ONLINE VINTAGE women's clothing store for one-of-a-kind, vintage FASHIONS, TEXTILES and ACCESSORIES

It was hand-made, in the late 40's. The main differences, were mine didn't have a seam at the waist, it had a sweetheart neckline, and in the back were 50 silk-covered buttons that went down below the waistline. Same color though, same era, same material. Other main difference, was I paid only $90 for mine, plus $200 for alterations and professional cleaning.

The vintage stuff in my closet now is from my mom. Duds closed shop around 18 years ago. Huge shame though, they had the most awesome stuff.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM

31,292 posts, read 57,520,651 times
I have some clothes of my mom's from the 50s -- a couple of sweater sets, a wool skirt.

Some of my vintage clothing is my own from the early 80s, when I was into the kitschy, 60s revival, B-52s type stuff that Limited Express used to sell way back when.

All my 70s stuff I gave away to my little cousin about 15 years ago. I was describing an outfit to her -- green and red plaid hip huggers, a red vest, and a white dog-ear collar blouse -- and her eyes got real wide and she said rather breathlessly: "Do you still have that?" LOL -- How could I have refused her?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,443,527 times
I have hats that my grandmother wore in the 40's and 50's. Wonderful things with velvet and felt and feathers and sequins. Purses my aunt bought in Europe in the 50's. She also gave me things like Dior cigarette cases and compacts from the 50's made with mother of pearl and crystal.

My mother saved a lot of her scarves and sweaters from the 50's and 60's. Now that I think of it, I've got oodles of stuff. And I wear it. Everything was so well made it's all in great shape and I'll be passing it along.

My dad had some great Nudie western shirts. Don Loper from the 60's. Brooks Brothers suits. Real life "Mad Men" clothing including the skinny ties. Family members got a lot of his things. But some were given to friends. There are a couple of very well-known actors wearing some of his Western shirts and a couple of his classic 60's and 70's shirts which is, I have to tell you, a lot of fun.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,533,566 times
I have a large collection of bakelite bracelets, cocktail rings from the 50's (semi-precious stones, gold), some beautiful pins from the 40's and 50's.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,569,347 times
More jewelry and accessories than clothing. I'm pretty tall, and wear a size ten shoe, and larger sizes tend to not be super easy to find in vintage attire and shoes.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,494,164 times
Where to start? I used to be something of a vintage junkie.

I have purses and jewelry dating to the 1800s. Ditto for gloves.

Some Leslie Fay dresses from the late 40s.

Pringle cashmere and Neiman Marcus suits/dresses from the 1950s.

Halston (dresses) and Louis Vuitton (small leather goods) from the 70's.

Nicole Miller(dresses), Manolo Blahnik, Doc Martens and Robert Clergerie (shoes) from the 80s.

Best place to shop? Estate sales. Hands down. You may have to buy in "lots", so you bid on a box and get a bunch of stuff you have to cart to Goodwill, but the pay-off is one or two plum pices that you pay pennies-on-the-dollar for vs. shopping "retail vintage". Worth it if you have more time than money! Sometimes you get a real gem too---like the time I got a box full of vintage aprons, hand-crocheted doilies, and embroidered tea towels and pillowcases for $2.00.

Last edited by plaidmom; 03-29-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,533,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Where to start? I used to be something of a vintage junkie.

I have purses and jewelry dating to the 1800s. Ditto for gloves.

Some Leslie Fay dresses from the late 40s.

Pringle cashmere and Neiman Marcus suits/dresses from the 1950s.

Halston (dresses) and Louis Vuitton (small leather goods) from the 70's.

Nicole Miller(dresses), Manolo Blahnik, Doc Martens and Robert Clergerie (shoes) from the 80s.

Best place to shop? Estate sales. Hands down. You may have to buy in "lots", so you bid on a box and get a bunch of stuff you have to cart to Goodwill, but the pay-off is one or two plum pices that you pay pennies-on-the-dollar for vs. shopping "retail vintage". Worth it if you have more time than money! Sometimes you get a real gem too---like the time I got a box full of vintage aprons, hand-crocheted doilies, and embroidered tea towels and pillowcases for $2.00.
Sounds Wonderful!!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 AM

31,292 posts, read 57,520,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ditto for gloves.
I have a lot of gloves. Still trying to figure out where I'm going to wear the elbow-length black cotton ones with pearl buttons ... Maybe in my casket. LOL

Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 9,133 times
@AnonChick - that wedding gown looks amazing. i was contemplating if and when I get married, if i would wear a vintage gown..it just seems so ideal. the whole glamour aspect to it all

because it being all spring and all. ive just been accumulating a lot of cocktail dresses. lately ive been going to this store called Tresor de Vintage, Vintage Clothing, Vintage Fashion, Vintage Accessories, Vintage Furnishings - Tresor de Vintage here in California. just really gorgeous stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty