U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,029,002 times

Advertisements

wondering about this nail process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,283,367 times
I get a shallac manicure every 2 weeks. LOVE the product and it's not harsh on your nails.

There is no filing or drilling like there is with gel.

The first time you go in they do a regular mani (soak, cuticles..etc). They do a topcoat and set that with the UV lightbox. I always get a french done and they do the white tip and then the topcoat. Between each step you set the polish with UV light. After the last coat is applied and set, they wipe your fingers with alcohol to get rid of the sticky residue. I'm not sure if they do one or two coats if you choose color....someone else may be able to chime in with that information.

Two weeks later you go in and have the shellac removed. My salon has you soak in acetone but they can use an acetone wrap as well. It only takes 2 minutes or so, then they remove the shellac with an orange stick.

There is no filing at all unless you want your nails trimmed. They just repeat the process to put the shallac back on your nails.

My nails grow pretty fast so if I got color I'd have to return in a week otherwise you'd see the lack of color at the base of the nail. With a french it's not very noticable.

Also, the manicure stays shiny and doesn't chip at all. If I do get a chip my salon will fix it free of charge (though that hasn't happened yet).

My own nails have not broken or split since I've started doing Shellac manicures.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:57 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
If it's actual shellac I can tell you something interesting about where it comes from.

Shellac is a natural product. The lac bug, in Asia, creates little tunnels on the outside of trees from excretions from its body. They scrape these tunnels off and boil them down, strain out any contaminants, and from that comes shellac.

It is also known as confectioner's glaze, and it's on pretty much every candy product that is shiny, as well as produce. It's used for many things.

I don't know about its specific use as a nail product, but I thought I'd share that little fun fact with you.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:25 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
Acetone is hard on nails.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:43 AM

48 posts, read 44,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Two weeks later you go in and have the shellac removed. My salon has you soak in acetone but they can use an acetone wrap as well. It only takes 2 minutes or so, then they remove the shellac with an orange stick.

I have gotten this done before and my results were as follows.

First time - beautiful nails, wow I can't believe the manicure lasted 2+ weeks with no chips.
2nd time - a little peeling of my natural nails after the removal, manicure looked great for 2+ weeks.
3rd time - my natural nails were weak and peeling more after the 2nd & 3rd acetone soak. The nail polish was peeling right off with part of my nail!

Disaster ensued, after I had it removed my nails were peeling like crazy and breaking. It took 6 weeks before my nails were back to normal. They constantly broke or peeled as they grew out. This technique may work for you but it doesn't work for everyone.

Note I have great natural and long nails to begin with, I am always complimented on how great my nails look. I was trying this method to reduce chipping and for a longer lasting manicure. Over all it was a complete and dismal failure and I will never ever try it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty