U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,060,856 times
A good suncrean will be your best friend, a humidafire, and drinking enough water, its easy to get dehydrated in the southwest specially during the summer
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 PM

862 posts, read 1,286,402 times
Good point, do humidifiers actually help? Mine died and I need to get afew more. I think running a humidifier every night would really help. But many master bedroom here are vaulted so I wonder how much is retained. I seem the opposite of many as my skin is better (it was oily and puffy) and my hair is worse as it has less natural wave, which I prefer to stick straight.
I heard that my lips would chap but they have not, but I' m a lipstick addict so maybe that helps.
I think women with fine fair and delicate skin would really have to work hard to keep their skin moisturized if I get dry!
My opinion is that its better to not let your skin ever get too dry. If you don't have a proper moisturizer around, use petroleum jelley,olive oil or even butter. Anything is better than staying cracked. I have heard the bad news about Vaseline as well but I know lots of women who use it. I prefer to mostly use creams with plant oils.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,738,877 times
Use oil based creams or emu, olive or jojoba oil to seal your skin at night. I use olive oil before & after bathing on my face to prevent moisture loss.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 PM

1,469 posts, read 3,306,122 times
coconut oil is good deep conditioning for hair out there.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 AM

247 posts, read 275,923 times
hey yall, im actually from the southeast but heres some things ive heard that help really well.

Deep Repair Masque | Macadamia Natural Oil
http://moroccanoil.com/en/our-products.htm
Rich Moisture Day Cream- Yes To Carrots™

drink TONS of water, eat healthy, exercise, & humidifier will help! just make sure you clean it on a reg. basis otherwise youll get mold! yuckkk!

God bless!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,125,312 times
I've only ever lived in Utah so I'm used to this dry climate.

I go through a lot of lotion. I have bottles on my coffee table, on my chest of drawers and on my bathroom counter. Lip balm/Vaseline lip therapy is another must have. I'd much rather just moisturize my lips rather than color them with lipstick. I use Oil of Olay Regenerist cream on my face every morning and I use sunscreen when I know I'll be in the sun longer than 15 minutes at a time. I use moisturizing shampoo & conditioner and I don't wash my hair every day. It's not recommended for my dry hair & scalp. I use this on my hair to add shine. At almost every hair cut appointment, I have my stylist put on a hot oil treatment and I sit under the blow dryer until the oil is absorbed by my hair & scalp. After having two LASIK procedures on my both eyes, my eyes are prone to dryness....then to add the dry climate to the mix only makes matters worse. I frequently use eye drops. I've always been a water drinker so that's helped a lot. Last year I got a new HVAC system and added a whole house humidifier. It's a power humidifier so it comes on when the thermostat calls for it and not just when the furnace is blowing. The only problem is that is only comes on when the thermostat is in "heat" mode and not when it's in "cool" mode. I would consider outdoor RH above 30% humid.

I think some transplants also experience nosebleeds from our dry climate.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Is there anything that brings the wave out in hair here for fine caucasian hair that's only a bit wavy? Mousse here makes my hair way too crunchy. I tried a new product that I think is so heavy its meant for ethnic hair. I would like to give my hair a straightening break some days, but sitting in a pool/jacuzzi makes my hair wave enough to look nice. And that's not something I can do at any time! maybe a spray? Tigi used to make one w/ natural ingredients that worked great, but its discontinued..

Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,772,359 times
I used Neutrogena Sesame Bath Oil this you can apply with wash cloth also its not that oily.

Nivea made a spray on moisturizer, they still may make it.

One inexpensive thing to do for bath, buy some baby oil or mineral oil, unscented, add to that a little fragrant oil. Its inexpensive and works better than the expensive ones, you do not need to add much of this to your bath.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 AM

20,768 posts, read 17,998,741 times
I sympathize, Hart. I've lived in Southern California (pretty dry), Colorado (very dry), and now in Illinois (dry in the winter, humid in the summer). When we first moved to Colorado, our lips chapped and cracked open until we finally acclimated. My hair was stick-straight and not very shiny. Here in the summertime (Illinois), it waves and poufs like Hermione Granger's. The dry winters age me several years (hello fine lines around the eyes ), but the humid summers cleared my complexion (finally--no fair having wrinkles AND adult acne).

My suggestions:

1. Drink lots of water, no matter where you live. If it's dry your body will suck it in like a sponge, and if it's humid you'll sweat it off.
2. Moisturize with something that agrees with your skin, which will vary by your skin type. Creams and oils will make some skin greasy.
3. I have naturally callus-happy feet due to genetics (thanks, Dad) and because I go barefoot a lot. Luckily, it's dry here in the winter, so I wear socks because it's cold. But when it's hot and dry, hello horribly cracked and painful heels. I recommend Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula for elbows, knees, hands, etc., and their Cracked Heel formula for feet. Totally works. My father-in-law has psoriasis and that's the only thing he uses.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the foot tips Julia, I have the cracking heel problem as well.

I drink water all the time and I am sure it helps.

As I have said before, living in Coastal So Cal gave me my best hair ever but if you want to straighten your hair once in the morning and have it stay all day, move here. My BF from IN swears here hair while visiting Arizona is her best ever.

But we can't plan where we live by how our hair behaves....or can we???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty