Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When my sister was told to dress in a more mature way at work, they meant cover up the cleavage. She has a big chest and most of her shirts showed at least a hint of cleavage. She was pretty angry because the girls with smaller chests weren't told anything, even when they showed cleavage, but she just went ahead and bought new shirts, or added a scarf with the shirts she already owned, for the sake of keeping the job. This was about five years ago and she's been promoted several times since, so I guess it was worth making an attempt to change to fit what her boss was looking for.

If I had to wear only black and white, I'd think of it as a uniform. Wear a starched white blouse every day and black slacks. Pull your hair into a low ponytail.

Have you tried witch hazel on your acne? Just dab a little on the red spots and it helps get rid of the redness. Also, I have sensitive skin, but I've had good luck with the tinted moisturizer from Physician's Formula Amazon.com: Physicians Formula Healthy Wearâ„¢ SPF 50 Tinted Moisturizer - Ivory Fair: Health & Personal Care (Although I do agree that your acne, and especially the fact that you're taking BC for it, are none of your manager's business)
well ya, I know doing what employers want will help me out in the long run. They just don't pay enough for me to make all these changes.
I've never tried witch hazel, won't it be intensely too drying for me? and I'll look into that tinted moisturizer!

I just got an email (that went to all employees in the store) about work attire and the first thing they mentioned was that acne needs to be covered up and how its ugly and how its distracting to customers and I'm the only one with occasional acne. I don't know if I should be offended or not since I feel singled out and everyone knows its me...weird...

Also, I realize the size of my chest and I cover it up. I know how to dress modestly..the issue is the maturity thing. But I think the idea of a white blouse is great. I already have black slacks so that's good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Acne - Its a general hygiene clause that is a lot of employment contracts. Its basically saying to keep yourself as clean and presentable as possible. Its not just about you.

Visine instantly gets rid of any red on a zit.

If you are breaking out a lot though try revamp your makeup and cleansing routine. A trip to the dermatological office can help you figure out the cause of your breakouts if you cant figure it out at home.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Acne - Its a general hygiene clause that is a lot of employment contracts. Its basically saying to keep yourself as clean and presentable as possible. Its not just about you.

Visine instantly gets rid of any red on a zit.

If you are breaking out a lot though try revamp your makeup and cleansing routine. A trip to the dermatological office can help you figure out the cause of your breakouts if you cant figure it out at home.
I've been treating my acne since I was 10 years old. Gone to the doctors, made myself sick with antibiotics (which meant accutane was out of the question if I'm that sensitive), tried the silk peel facial (which worked, but good god that's expensive!), makeup (made me even worse and yes with the correct formula though I could try other ones too), tried proactive (ate my skin alive!)..I'm losing track of what I've done to treat it. I dont have horrible acne, just occasionally around my chin during the time of the month. I get the hygiene thing, but all I can do is draw more attention to my eyes like my boss suggested.

Anyways, I'll definitely try the suggestions that were mentioned here! I appreciate it.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I've been treating my acne since I was 10 years old. Gone to the doctors, made myself sick with antibiotics (which meant accutane was out of the question if I'm that sensitive), tried the silk peel facial (which worked, but good god that's expensive!), makeup (made me even worse and yes with the correct formula though I could try other ones too), tried proactive (ate my skin alive!)..I'm losing track of what I've done to treat it. I dont have horrible acne, just occasionally around my chin during the time of the month. I get the hygiene thing, but all I can do is draw more attention to my eyes like my boss suggested.

Anyways, I'll definitely try the suggestions that were mentioned here! I appreciate it.
Well if you have been to the docs for it, its a medical condition and they can't fault you on that one. I don't know how recently you tried proactive but the newest version is different. I guess they have a gentle formula too but I did not try that one. But the newest regular one is a lot more gentle than the very old sudsy bubble one that they first had out. That old version stripped the crap out of my skin.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
I just got an email (that went to all employees in the store) about work attire and the first thing they mentioned was that acne needs to be covered up and how its ugly and how its distracting to customers and I'm the only one with occasional acne. I don't know if I should be offended or not since I feel singled out and everyone knows its me...weird...
I'm sorry that happened to you. I would be upset in your place. Talking to you about it is one thing, but sending an email to everyone when you're the only one with the issue really does seem like they're picking on you. At the same time, maybe the district manager told your boss that she can't single you out because it is a medical condition, so they decided to send an email out to everyone to make it seem like they were telling everyone, not just you.

My daughter said I should tell you about her favorite acne treatment: Amazon.com: Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque 6 oz.+ 2 oz. Free: Beauty It's really cheap, so not a lot to waste if it didn't help.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm sorry that happened to you. I would be upset in your place. Talking to you about it is one thing, but sending an email to everyone when you're the only one with the issue really does seem like they're picking on you. At the same time, maybe the district manager told your boss that she can't single you out because it is a medical condition, so they decided to send an email out to everyone to make it seem like they were telling everyone, not just you.

My daughter said I should tell you about her favorite acne treatment: Amazon.com: Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque 6 oz.+ 2 oz. Free: Beauty It's really cheap, so not a lot to waste if it didn't help.
Ya, I am pretty upset. They've done it to another girl before who was intoxicated at a meeting after hours (most of us didn't notice) and they called all of us to tell us she was intoxicated and not to come to a meeting like that. I agreed but they shouldn't have singled her out to everyone. I thought that was inappropriate.

I'll look into that treatment. I'm actually already on a topical treatment and use a prescription Tretinoin cream. Clearly its not enough so I need to look into other options.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Your employer absolutely cannot comment on the condition your skin, etc...talk to the Labor Board! They can only evaluate you on issues that directly affect your job performance. These folks are really crossing the line. And as long as you are conforming to their dress code, I think that is as far as they can go.

Just guessing that you are young...go find yourself another job where you are appreciated and not criticized for every little thing. They obviously want someone older in that position (maybe that is their target clientel or image) so they might be trying to get you to quit anyway. I know the job market isn't great right now but I would start looking.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
I'll look into that treatment. I'm actually already on a topical treatment and use a prescription Tretinoin cream. Clearly its not enough so I need to look into other options.
You might want to try Brewer's yeast.

Acne & Brewer's Yeast | LIVESTRONG.COM

If you're interested, I'll tell you which one is good and where to find it. I researched it recently for other reasons.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
mir86 -- I had some acne well into adulthood and nothing seemed to work for it, until I went on the Atkins Diet and it cleared up in just a few days. Since then, I've discovered that just cutting out white flour in any form (pasta, breads, etc.) keeps my skin clear, but around the holidays I give in to temptation and zits come popping up like mushrooms in the lawn after a rain. I just cut out white carbs for a week and it clears right up again.

Worth a try, and it's cheap & healthy, too.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Consider the birth control pill. Diet did not help my acne that much although dairy & sugar have been proven to cause it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty