U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM

874 posts, read 1,417,390 times

Advertisements

As simple as the title puts it. I'm a 17 year old guy who just got glasses. Anything special I need to know that isn't commom sense?

Will my eyesight get worse if I don't wear them all the time? Cuz my sight is only bad at 30 feet and beyond... so I'll just wear them when driving and at school.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM

461 posts, read 681,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
As simple as the title puts it. I'm a 17 year old guy who just got glasses. Anything special I need to know that isn't commom sense?

Will my eyesight get worse if I don't wear them all the time? Cuz my sight is only bad at 30 feet and beyond... so I'll just wear them when driving and at school.

Thanks for reading.
I've actually heard the opposite. If you wear them all the time your eyes will get weaker but I'm not sure if that's true or not. I wear mine mostly for driving and try not to use them if I don't have to.
My prescription hasn't changed much in 15 years except my astigmatism gets a little worse.

What else to know? Get a back up pair.
Hope you like them!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,834,931 times
You eyes likely will not stablise for a few years ;needig stronger glass. but not wearig them will put even more stain on your eyes.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM

11,538 posts, read 20,642,686 times
I also need glasses for distance but only wear them for driving, put them on to see something distant, etc. - I don't wear them at home. Prescription has been the same for many years.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 AM

7,100 posts, read 24,686,408 times
You are probably used to squinting to see at distances now. If you wear them all the time, you will get out of the habit. THEN, when you do look at a distance, your eyes will seem weaker because you didn't automatically squint.

Hope that makes sense. It's the way my eyes seemed to work....I squinted a lot, got glasses and got out of the habit.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,367,646 times
Yes, get a spare pair. While I was packing for a six-day trip to NYC last week, I stepped on and broke my favorite pair. Luckily I still have my original pair and had to use those on my trip. It would have been a nightmare trying to find a place to make me another pair in NYC, not to mention the huge expense!

I buy my extra pairs on cheap sites like Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses. It may not be ideal for your main pair as they're not completely customized to your face, but it's nice to not spend an arm and a leg on another pair you won't be using all the time.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 AM

15,849 posts, read 30,698,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post

Thanks for reading.
There are eye strengthening exercises that will help with your eyesight. You can google them and there are several websites out there. It takes some motivation and dedication to follow the program.

Also, strange as it may seem, I would try to find an acupuncture clinic that is trained in eye care (no, they DON'T stick a needle in your eye). Where I live there is a clinic in Arkansas that specializes in eye care treatments. Apparently, acupuncture can be quite effective for eye disorders and treatments.

I was told, some 30+ years ago that I needed glasses and I wore them for a while. But I did not like the idea of being dependent upon something like that so I refused to continue wearing them. These days I wear reading glasses because I am at "that age". But I will not wear "regular" glasses as long as I can see well enough to get along. Of course, if you eyesight is really bad you do not have the luxury of a choice.

The muscles in your eyes will get lazier and lazier and you will need progressively stronger prescriptions all your life. But if you do not wish to play out that script, there are alternatives available.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,081,706 times
Quote:
Anything special I need to know that isn't commom sense?
While adjusting my new frames, a wise man once told me, in a very fierce way that made it really stick with me: "on your face or IN THE CASE". That's very good advice! Especially for someone who will only be wearing them part time. Put a microfiber lens cleaning cloth in the case and wipe them off when you put them in there so they will be clean and ready to go the next time you need them.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:27 PM

32,531 posts, read 31,112,623 times
You've gotten some great advice. I'll add: Get a couple of the little eyeglass repair kits they sell in drugstores for two bucks. One in your desk at work. One in your car. I keep one in my travel kit.

The screws in your eyeglasses will fall out at the worst possible, most inconvenient time.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,629,584 times
When you can't find them, check on top your head. Perhaps you moved them up there & forgot them. I'm not being sarcastic. This DOES happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty