U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times

Advertisements

WHAT? Bras were based off petticoats? Where the heck is this person getting her information? Petticoats? Really? A petticoat is a frilly half-slip, worn under a skirt. It doesn't hold anything in, it doesn't hide anything, it doesn't reveal anything. It's just a bit of frou frou. The bra has nothing to do with the petticoat.

Breasts that sag, do so, because of gravity. Not because they have special memory chips in their tissues that forget to stay up if they're supported. If you never EVER wear some kind of supportive garment, and you are a DDD cup for many many years, you WILL sag, eventually. You will sag, because as a woman ages, her collagen and elastin ceases production, and skin loosens and loses its elasticity (ability to bounce back) when it has no collagen and elastin.

It has nothing to do with wearing a bra. However, wearing a bra *can* prevent some of the damage caused by sagging breasts. They don't always, but they can.

As for bras that don't have underwires causing cancer, yeah put on that tin foil hat and lock yourself away in a bunker somewhere. "They" did a study on it...right. "They" are probably internet geeks looking to make a few bucks by promoting clicks on their websites to pay-per-click sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,501,072 times
Quote:
whoever fabricated the ridiculous notion of petticoats back in the 1800s should have thought about what they were doing. petticoats were an extra unnecessary thing to wear that oppressed women and the bra was based off that invention.
LOL. You should probably try reading up on the history of fashion rather than just making stuff up. Both petticoats and corsets were around long before 1800. A bra is basically nothing more than a half corset.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,551,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I've always been extremely uncomfortable in bras- feels like a torture device I just can't wear them-Any suggestions on how to give the ladies a lift without a bra? Or if there's a bra that has no straps & can actually stay put, let me know where to get it... Thanks
I can't stand them.........

Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,969,971 times
I can't imagine not wearing a bra. It's the first thing I reach for in the morning. Has been since jr high! I just wish it was easier to find & buy them in stores...well, sexy & pretty ones that would fit me.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,208,583 times
my wife says she hates them but i think shes lying. She never leaves the house w/o one on and she never pulls it off in public.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM

538 posts, read 1,255,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
my wife says she hates them but i think shes lying. She never leaves the house w/o one on and she never pulls it off in public.
My wife doesn't mind them, but she never wears them around the house and she never wears them in public unless we are going to run into her parents.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
I almost always wear a bra; I just dislike the feeling of not wearing one. I imagine that boxer briefs are increasingly comfortable for men as they age for the same reason. It's nice to have something besides your skin and muscles holding that stuff up. It's like ... ooh, thanks.

If you don't want to wear one, okay.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,897,226 times
Hate bras. BUT there is one thing that I know for certain, you are going to sag. Look at the pictures of the glamour gals in the braless dresses. Figure out where the nipples would be. And then, imagine what they would look like if they were naked.

It get's worse. Don't wear one, that's OK by me.

But, I think it's only fair to warn you, that at some point, if you have any size to your boobs, you will have to decide if you want to buy a larger waist to your clothes, because the boobs will be low enough to add inches to your waist.

Now, how do I know? I used to work in OB-GYNl office. We saw a lot of mother and daughter families. Mother was in her 50s and had always worn a good bra. Daughter, in her later 20s or early 30s, came along in the hippy era, never wore a bra. Guess who had the best figure. I hate to think what daughter looks like now.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't want to post advertisement links since I know the mods are a little sensitive about that stuff. But Bare Necessities is one of the labels that carries 40A, in some pretty styles.

Hanes has a specialty line called Just My Size that has some 40 and 42A cup bras, one even has an underwire (not sure why anyone with an A cup would want an underwire, let alone need one - maybe it's the same reason some of us enjoy corsets). Hanes also is the parent company of Glamorise, and several of the Bali selections start at a B cup, even with a 44 back size.
Established members can post links. I do it all the time. Help a sister out!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:20 PM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
I don't believe bras prevent sagging. Nope, there is nothing magical about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty