U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't believe bras prevent sagging. Nope, there is nothing magical about them.
No, they don't prevent sagging. It's going to happen as you age. What happens is that the breasts are supported by what is known as Cooper's Ligament. The problem is that this ligament does not go back after it is stretched. When the breast are not supported, the weight stretches the ligament a teensy tiny bit every day. Such a little amount that you don't notice it. But after a few years, it shows up.

Therefore, if you wear a bra eight hours per day, you will have less unsupported weight on that ligament.

So you are right, the bra doesn't prevent sagging, it just slows it down. It's up to us. I have reached the point where I no longer care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM

538 posts, read 1,255,111 times
Hahahahaha, bras and sagging breasts.

My mother in law is in her 60s and literally has only worn a bra two times in her life. She has the perkiest large breasts ever and has no problem showing them off at the beach.

My sister in law has worn a bra every day since she was 12 and has the smallest AND saggiest breasts I have ever seen (don't ask how I know).

So, what have we learned here? Hint: Nothing, other than it's simply determined by how your body is built. Not bras, not ligaments, nothing.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,452,145 times
A number of friends/ex's of mine have larger breasts and they have always said going to a professional fitter did wonders for their comfort level. None of them will proclaim they are great (one is an artist and she complains it gets in the way of her drawing, another hates it when it's cardio time running), but having the right size, band, tightness, etc. works wonders.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 AM

127 posts, read 156,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Women who aren't "big-busted" still need to show a little modesty in the workplace. Instead of making so much effort to find ways to obscure the breasts without buying a bra (shelf bras, tank shirts, spandex, big shirts, layering..wow that's a LOT of work just to hide a nipple, don't you think?) it's just easier to buy a bra. Then you can wear any kind of shirt you like! You can buy a bandeau stretchy number, that fits pretty much like a tube top, and wear strapless blouses and dresses.

Finding the *right* bra is much more important to me than any kind of false sense of liberation. If I need to be braless to feel like an equal to a man, then I've got some seriously messed up priorities.
That's not a problem for me. You see, I love jackets. I wear them all the time. And without an underwire bra, the jackets conceal any issues with nipples (don't really have those, though, as mine are tiny and don't ever stick out even when cold). As mentioned upthread, no one can tell and I've gotten endless compliments on my outfits, primarily from other women, but also from the better-dressed men I work with. That, as well as my enjoyment of wearing camisoles and thin sports bras means that I naturally and effortlessly gravitate toward a style of dress that allows me to go braless. I don't deny anyone their right to wear strapless garments, but I've never cared for them (pale skin, prone to severe sunburns, so all that exposed flesh = bad choice for me) and given the option to choose sleeves or no sleeves, will always choose sleeves.

Could you explain to me why my personal choice to go braless rubbed you the wrong way, or why you are ascribing values to it like "false sense of liberation" or "feel like an equal to a man" that I have not discussed or alluded to? I realize I mentioned that it felt "freeing" in my original post, but to be clear, I meant "physically light, flexible, and comfortable," not anything spiritual or emotional.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM

538 posts, read 1,255,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
Could you explain to me why my personal choice to go braless rubbed you the wrong way, or why you are ascribing values to it like "false sense of liberation" or "feel like an equal to a man" that I have not discussed or alluded to? I realize I mentioned that it felt "freeing" in my original post, but to be clear, I meant "physically light, flexible, and comfortable," not anything spiritual or emotional.
You are way too mature and intelligent to be posting here.

But, on a serious note, there is no reason for this thread to continue after your wonderful post.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,543,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't believe bras prevent sagging. Nope, there is nothing magical about them.
They sure don't prevent it......nothing like a pair 45y/o T*Ts.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Nickchick there is a reason you feel better when ya' take it off- you're not restricted and you're free I don't get why a select few people on this forum are so hostile to the notion that we don't & won't wear them. Especially after reading those very informative articles-

Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,576,063 times
sorry. just scrolling through CD and this caught my eye. Favorite thread ever lol. If ya'll can put up with guys staring at your chest all day, to hell with bras!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 PM

541 posts, read 691,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
What cup and band size are you? (Ballpark, I mean.)

I ask because depending upon what you wear, you may have a lot more alternatives than you think. The "Why Wear Bras?" article I linked to earlier offers over a dozen different types of bra alternatives and bra-like undergarments that are suitable for work. A few suggestions I have tried myself include:

-Camisoles (I have some cropped and some full-length.)
-Thin sports bras (Like this: C9 by Champion® Women's Seamless Cami Bra - Cabana Green : Target (http://tinyurl.com/3qxrnbg - broken link) – fantastic under dress clothes, especially when you get them in neutrals or black, because of the thin straps)
-T-shirt bras or unstructured bras (no underwire, can be found at stores like American Apparel – check out these options: American Apparel | Women's Styles | Bras)
-Tanks with shelf bras
-Thick-ribbed tank tops
-Bikini tops (A plain black, nude, white, or pink athletic-cut top should work fine.)

As mentioned, I'm a D, which is significant boobage, usually a size that's recommended to always wear an underwire. You can't typically find "cute," cheap, traditional bras above a C-cup, especially not without underwire, and that's another reason why I love the "alternatives" I mentioned above...they're significantly cheaper.
Can't rep you twice VelvetFedora, even though I tried! I'm a 32DD and I also hate bras. I tried the "Nordstroms Fitting" that so many of my friends suggested to me and even though I blew away over $100.00 buying what they gave me, I was still very uncomfortable.

I've been looking into many alternatives like those you suggested above. Also I don't know if anyone's mentioned the "Genie Bra" or "Ahh Bra" although you can find cheaper and better ones like it using a search engine, such as a company out of Oregon that makes fabric bras (look like sports bras) that lift and separate for those who hate bras.

My favorite company is Barely There and they have a wide selection of no-bra bras too, which I've bought at Macy's and Kohls.

Last edited by Tantamount; 05-21-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 04:57 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times
I hate them. I wear body shapers under my blazer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty