Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,504 times
Ouch! Pythonis, it's not that bad.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
WHAT? Bras were based off petticoats? Where the heck is this person getting her information? Petticoats? Really? A petticoat is a frilly half-slip, worn under a skirt. It doesn't hold anything in, it doesn't hide anything, it doesn't reveal anything. It's just a bit of frou frou. The bra has nothing to do with the petticoat.

Breasts that sag, do so, because of gravity. Not because they have special memory chips in their tissues that forget to stay up if they're supported. If you never EVER wear some kind of supportive garment, and you are a DDD cup for many many years, you WILL sag, eventually. You will sag, because as a woman ages, her collagen and elastin ceases production, and skin loosens and loses its elasticity (ability to bounce back) when it has no collagen and elastin.

It has nothing to do with wearing a bra. However, wearing a bra *can* prevent some of the damage caused by sagging breasts. They don't always, but they can.

As for bras that don't have underwires causing cancer, yeah put on that tin foil hat and lock yourself away in a bunker somewhere. "They" did a study on it...right. "They" are probably internet geeks looking to make a few bucks by promoting clicks on their websites to pay-per-click sites.
I am sure that people say the bra is based off the petticoat because it is an extra thing to wear under your clothes. Just like the petticoat it is a way of society restricting women.
Well I don't have big boobs so I'm good either way
How can a bra prevent damage? It is a piece of fabric not an electronic device. Alright so maybe it supports you while you're wearing it but at night when you take it off your boobs are gonna be sagging like crazy. Like someone else said on this post, it's not magic.

You are questioning what I have told you yet you fail to question what you have been told before. You still have not answered this question: When has a doctor ever said a bra is important?
This is good critical thinking. Always look at both sides.

Finally someone (I forgot who) mentioned it is just like how wearing high heels makes you uncomfortable. Well I rarely wear high heels so that has no relevance to me. Plus it is a bad example in a way because high heels are not a necessity.

Btw I have gone braless ever since my post and I have noticed the comfort has gotten better.
(sry for the late response if anyone cares)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
To "go free" or not should be strictly a personal choice. I am frankly upset at some of the judgmental posts in here. There is no medical necessity to wear a bra, it is a fairly recent invention. Reading through all these posts, obviously some women love bras and love wearing them, others of us not so much. In recent years I have mostly given up wearing them, I don't work outside the home and live in a hot climate, and am so INCREDIBLY more comfortable without. I am however, somewhat modest and wear them under any type of possibly revealing clothing. I do try as much as possible to wear clothes that either have built in support/coverage, or are easily covered up with vests or little jackets. At this stage of my life I feel I have earned the right to dress however I want and if anyone has a problem with that it's THEIR problem
I think I like you. That's basically what I've been trying to say.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Bras are almost as big a turn-off as pantyhose and granny panties and capri pants.

I demand my wife to go without and she usually abides, letting those pert 34C's swing free.

Nuthin' sexier.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
Quote:
To "go free" or not should be strictly a personal choice. I am frankly upset at some of the judgmental posts in here. There is no medical necessity to wear a bra, it is a fairly recent invention. Reading through all these posts, obviously some women love bras and love wearing them, others of us not so much. In recent years I have mostly given up wearing them, I don't work outside the home and live in a hot climate, and am so INCREDIBLY more comfortable without. I am however, somewhat modest and wear them under any type of possibly revealing clothing. I do try as much as possible to wear clothes that either have built in support/coverage, or are easily covered up with vests or little jackets. At this stage of my life I feel I have earned the right to dress however I want and if anyone has a problem with that it's THEIR problem
Why did we have to wait until post #140 to read this? It should have been post #2, right after the OP!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,461 times
I do. It's like a mind game when I'm trying to take one off a girl LOL

Old 07-22-2011, 01:31 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I've always been extremely uncomfortable in bras- feels like a torture device I just can't wear them-Any suggestions on how to give the ladies a lift without a bra? Or if there's a bra that has no straps & can actually stay put, let me know where to get it... Thanks
I have a large cup size and am actually more comfortable with a bra than without. I've worn underwire bras since I was about 18. (I'm in my 50s now.)

The thing that bugs me most about bras is when the straps fall off my shoulders. I have several convertible bras on which I can unsnap the straps and criss-cross them in the back so that they can't fall down. Those are GREAT! However, I can't wear them with any tops that have a wide, open neckline because the straps show.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,491 times
I don't hate bras and I have really big boobs, only in the house I can get away with not wearing one, i also do not wear one to bed. Other times I have to wear one. I hate when the straps fall and the underwire pokes/stabs you. I also hate sports bras.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:22 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I am sure that people say the bra is based off the petticoat because it is an extra thing to wear under your clothes. Just like the petticoat it is a way of society restricting women.
Well I don't have big boobs so I'm good either way
How can a bra prevent damage? It is a piece of fabric not an electronic device. Alright so maybe it supports you while you're wearing it but at night when you take it off your boobs are gonna be sagging like crazy. Like someone else said on this post, it's not magic.

You are questioning what I have told you yet you fail to question what you have been told before. You still have not answered this question: When has a doctor ever said a bra is important?
This is good critical thinking. Always look at both sides.

Finally someone (I forgot who) mentioned it is just like how wearing high heels makes you uncomfortable. Well I rarely wear high heels so that has no relevance to me. Plus it is a bad example in a way because high heels are not a necessity.

Btw I have gone braless ever since my post and I have noticed the comfort has gotten better.
(sry for the late response if anyone cares)

I think I like you. That's basically what I've been trying to say.
I've had plastic surgeons tell me that bras are important. And they are necessary during recovery. Plastic surgeons are medical doctors, so yeah, they have said so.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,179 times
Quote:
It's one thing to get to say this as a mature woman, but when I was in middle and high school, everybody was up in my business giving me such **** for not wearing a bra. I didn't wear bras then because there was really nothing to support. Things are different for me now (see my previous post). So for those of you who remember being young and underdeveloped, or who have teen daughters, how did you handle others being judgemental? Or how would you advise your daughters? Because, seriously, I firmly (NPI) believe that females of all stages of life should have their personal choice respected!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty