U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,976,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And what's going to give her a lift - you?

No.

Me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Lol, that sounds interesting

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,372,463 times
My ex wife had a blouse with a bra sown in it. She said it gave her support but not as much as a regular bra. But she was comfortable in it and wore it a lot. My present wife always bought the cheaper bras and then talked about how her back hurt and the bra hurt her. Finally talked her into buying a name brand bra, that cost a lot more than the $7 she was spending. She said she could tell the difference the first day she wore it.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 AM

396 posts, read 570,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
I don't wear them ever, haven't for years, and at a D-cup, the bra police are after me, but I keep ducking arrest. I don't even wear them to work, because I've found alternatives, both to traditional underwires, and in manners of dressing. I've asked people I trust whether it looks ok, and I've gotten "yes"es every time. They also noted that going without a traditional underwire bra is minimizing at my size (of course, a very individual thing). It feels very freeing, and as a bonus, I'm perkier than I was while wearing bras. I experienced the most pain when wearing bras, and, in particular, when attempting to stuff myself into the tiny 32D band size the fitters recommend. Ugh!

Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with my choice, and of course, what will work for me may not work for you, or for someone you know, but I have found the following sites to be helpful and informative for me: Bra-Free and Why women wear bras (Note: These have pictures of breasts, so they are NSFW! They're not erotic, but may not pass your company's computer filter!)

I want to also mention that, like my choice to go bra-free, the advice found on those sites may not work for you, either. They are interesting to read and discuss, but I do not consider them to be "universal truths" for everyone.

I think this article about sagging is interesting as well: Why breasts sag and will bras prevent breasts from sagging? (Again, NSFW.) How much one sags is probably a very individual thing, but it's an interesting discussion at the very least.
Yay! Finally...someone who thinks like me. I don't like 'em, and I don't wear 'em. I wish there were more like us...then it would become commonplace. Why shouldn't women be as comfortable as men?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
Yes - DEFINITELY find a professional fitter who can help you find a proper fit. Nordstroms is usually a good place to start. But also you might look around in the phone book or online to find a shop where you live. We have a shop here run by a wonderful older woman who makes you feel so comfortable and she really knows her stuff. She not only sells bras but bathingsuits and nightgowns and things, too. I'm a DD so finding her was a real blessing! For years I was buying the wrong size (I really thought I had the right size...) and hated bras, too. Now I not only know my real size, but I also have found a brand that works for me.

Slowly the dents in my shoulders are going away, that were dug there by bad bra straps - and "my girls" have never looked or felt better - or been happier. With a properly fitted bra, you shouldn't even feel your straps.

Also - spend the money. Don't buy cheap lingerie. Spend the money on the good stuff and you will thank yourself for it and it should last you a long time. Hand wash in cold washer with a gentle detergent and air dry.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Women who aren't "big-busted" still need to show a little modesty in the workplace. Instead of making so much effort to find ways to obscure the breasts without buying a bra (shelf bras, tank shirts, spandex, big shirts, layering..wow that's a LOT of work just to hide a nipple, don't you think?) it's just easier to buy a bra. Then you can wear any kind of shirt you like! You can buy a bandeau stretchy number, that fits pretty much like a tube top, and wear strapless blouses and dresses.

As for me, I can't imagine leaving the house without a bra. I've been wearing them since I was 11, needing to wear them since I was 13. I started wearing an underwire by the time I was 16, because the bottom band of the wireless bras kept folding themselves over and were uncomfortable. I'm 50 and I still wear an underwire, and refuse to even try on the ones that don't have wires. I see the Playtex commercials on TV and think - why would these women want to show off THAT? It looks horrible, and probably looks even worse under a shirt. It makes their breasts look conical, in a droopy kind of way.

An underwire does for me, what having naturally perky B cups do for women who have naturally perky B cups. It keeps them from jiggling when I walk, it keeps the car strap from digging into the breast when I'm driving, it keeps the sweat from building up underneath, and it keeps people from staring at them when it gets cold.

Finding the *right* bra is much more important to me than any kind of false sense of liberation. If I need to be braless to feel like an equal to a man, then I've got some seriously messed up priorities.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Pookie, VelvetFedora , Jasper12, AnywhereElse, & yankeegirl13- I'm with ya'll on this. Great minds think alike- I've avoided them for this ling & I hate to conform. And I just read the links that VelvetFedora posted. They're fantastic articles that confirm my original decision to be bra free I do believe it's healthier to be bra less so I guess I'll skip that fitting. I think we need a revolt against bras

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Women who aren't "big-busted" still need to show a little modesty in the workplace. Instead of making so much effort to find ways to obscure the breasts without buying a bra (shelf bras, tank shirts, spandex, big shirts, layering..wow that's a LOT of work just to hide a nipple, don't you think?) it's just easier to buy a bra. Then you can wear any kind of shirt you like! You can buy a bandeau stretchy number, that fits pretty much like a tube top, and wear strapless blouses and dresses.

As for me, I can't imagine leaving the house without a bra. I've been wearing them since I was 11, needing to wear them since I was 13. I started wearing an underwire by the time I was 16, because the bottom band of the wireless bras kept folding themselves over and were uncomfortable. I'm 50 and I still wear an underwire, and refuse to even try on the ones that don't have wires. I see the Playtex commercials on TV and think - why would these women want to show off THAT? It looks horrible, and probably looks even worse under a shirt. It makes their breasts look conical, in a droopy kind of way.

An underwire does for me, what having naturally perky B cups do for women who have naturally perky B cups. It keeps them from jiggling when I walk, it keeps the car strap from digging into the breast when I'm driving, it keeps the sweat from building up underneath, and it keeps people from staring at them when it gets cold.

Finding the *right* bra is much more important to me than any kind of false sense of liberation. If I need to be braless to feel like an equal to a man, then I've got some seriously messed up priorities.
Absolutely ditto. I don't feel repressed or constricted by bras. They make me look better, my clothes fit better, and a well-fitting bra can actually be comfortable. I'd never leave the house braless, and I'd never want the uniboob that shelf bras and non-supportive sports bras create. And as for sports bras, I wouldn't be able to work out if not for a good one--jump rope without one and tell me how that works out for you.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,421,193 times
I HATE poorly fitted bras. Those drive me insane. But I don't like them just out there. I have to wear a bra and every time a batch is ready to be replaced I dread not finding a comfortable fit. If you workout your chest area it makes bras a lot more comfortable and easier to fit too in my experience.

Around the house I like to wear really tight tanks but its not like you really need support to sit on a couch or empty the dishwasher. LOL

Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
If you workout your chest area it makes bras a lot more comfortable and easier to fit too in my experience.
It also makes your boobs look and feel even more fabulous.

But I actually like bras. I think they're sexy, especially paired with a nice panties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty