U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM

5,145 posts, read 10,423,450 times

Advertisements

Bikini Science--Jane Russell Howard Hughes Invents the Underwire Bra JR4310

Howard Hughes invented the underwire...its kinda funny THAT was a scandal back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,635,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Places like Victoria's Secret just concentrate on getting you into their bras, which are only offered in a very narrow range of sizes; they also adhere to that antiquated method of adding 4-5" to your band size.
A lot of stores do that. It is called sister sizing and it gets abused. Granted it can work sometimes but it can be taken too far especially when stores don't carry too many styles in larger cup sizes they just try to up your band size to keep you in their range. For instance my wife who is a 38F/DDD has been told she is a 40DD (which isn't bad because that might work in certain styles) and worse told she is a 42D which is not a proper fit. Adding inches to the underbust is a poor method and I see it used or recommended on online stores that specialize in larger bras which is crazy to me. We buy most of her bras online and bravissimo is one of the few that just says to use those measurements as a guideline and try on some sizes until you find the best fit. But most certainly not to add inches.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Places like Victoria's Secret just concentrate on getting you into their bras, which are only offered in a very narrow range of sizes.
I feel very lucky all of the sudden...

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,635,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I feel very lucky all of the sudden...
Ha ha. I've bought a few VS bras for my wife as she looks awesome squeezed into several of their styles which come in 38DD at the largest. But we have to get them all online because the stores only carry up to 36C and all the snotty saleswomen are trained to turn their nose up at women who need anything larger and refer them to the web as they brush you off.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:36 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
I can't imagine loving bras regardless of size, style or type.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:30 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times
I absolutely loathe bras. 95% of my "when clothes attack" moments are from bras, specifically underwire (another 4.5% is from pantyhose). When I was large -- 39/40 G/DD I was forced to wear them or suffer from back/neck pain and super sag. I had my breasts reduced to a nice B/C and am so much more comfortable, I only wear a bra when I have to now (out in public or wearing a thin shirt).

I did go get professionally fitted, and yes those bras felt better than the cheapy Uber-Mart bras, but they were still uncomfortable and OMG were they expensive!! Really $125 for a flippin' undergarment is ridiculous... but when you have an odd-size torso (39") and a big cup, you're really limited in the manufacturers and styles available to that fit properly so you have to fork over the cash or suffer the consequences. When you're an odd size, getting the even size smaller is too tight and digs even on the last hook, and getting the even size higher is too loose even on the first hook. In either case, something is going to be digging or chafing somewhere.

And it never fails that the bra you have in the right color for what you're wearing will be the wrong style and either the straps, the band or the cups will peak out of anything except a long-sleeved turtleneck!

I'm so happy that I got my breasts reduced so that I can wear comfy cotton non-attacking, non-wired, non-heavily elasticized, non-body armored, sport/tank style bras that are just supportive enough to keep them where they're supposed to be and not wiggling around drawing attention to themselves!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:03 PM

3,234 posts, read 1,712,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Women who aren't "big-busted" still need to show a little modesty in the workplace. Instead of making so much effort to find ways to obscure the breasts without buying a bra (shelf bras, tank shirts, spandex, big shirts, layering..wow that's a LOT of work just to hide a nipple, don't you think?) it's just easier to buy a bra. Then you can wear any kind of shirt you like! You can buy a bandeau stretchy number, that fits pretty much like a tube top, and wear strapless blouses and dresses.

As for me, I can't imagine leaving the house without a bra. I've been wearing them since I was 11, needing to wear them since I was 13. I started wearing an underwire by the time I was 16, because the bottom band of the wireless bras kept folding themselves over and were uncomfortable. I'm 50 and I still wear an underwire, and refuse to even try on the ones that don't have wires. I see the Playtex commercials on TV and think - why would these women want to show off THAT? It looks horrible, and probably looks even worse under a shirt. It makes their breasts look conical, in a droopy kind of way.

An underwire does for me, what having naturally perky B cups do for women who have naturally perky B cups. It keeps them from jiggling when I walk, it keeps the car strap from digging into the breast when I'm driving, it keeps the sweat from building up underneath, and it keeps people from staring at them when it gets cold.

Finding the *right* bra is much more important to me than any kind of false sense of liberation. If I need to be braless to feel like an equal to a man, then I've got some seriously messed up priorities.

it's people like you that make others self concious about not wearing one. I've worn a bra since I was 17 or 18 but ever since I read the website last night "why women wear bras" I don't know about it anymore. anything with the word cancer makes me really nervous (I have an extreme fear of death, I even can't sleep at night sometimes because I think about it too much and get scared I'm not going to wake up so yeah if something is said to cause cancer you can bet I will feel anxiety) It also certainly makes sense that it makes your boobs sag less to not wear one because it's artificial support, your body is so used to wearing one...it's similar to being on a drug. plus wearing one does feel uncomfortable when you think about it as it's pulling your boobs together. I know you can get professionally fitted but I would imagine it would still be uncomfortable because of the fact they're immobile and don't have space to breathe. I can't even afford that anyway. There's some nice camisoles at Nordstroms that are 46 dollars and I can't even afford that (it's also too far away to go)
right now my boobs feel weird in an uncomfortable way from not wearing one but I think it's because they need time to get used to it (like one of the websites said)
I'm going to get some alternatives at the store today but I'm nervous about wearing one even for a few hours..I feel like I have no other choice though because the fact that people could stare at me makes me nervous.
I guess I may have to wear layers and make myself really hot.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times
Maybe being so large breasted for so long has made me really hyper-conscious of other people staring at my boobs... but it makes me angry when it lasts longer than just a passing glance, even now that my breasts are "normal" sized.

I had a woman in Uber-Mart say something to me about how I should be ashamed about not wearing a bra in public. Mind you, it was the dead of winter so I was wearing a tight thermal undershirt, a turtleneck and a sweater at the time... nothing was moving that much and you certainly couldn't see any "headlights". My reply? "What the hell are you doing staring at my boobs that intently for? Why don't you mind your own bleep-ing business and stop obsessing and passing judgment on my breasts?"

Seriously, wearing a bra is about your comfort, support and whatever modesty you want to protect. If you have huge gonzagas and you're perfectly ok with them wiggling around in your shirt like happy puppies because it's more comfortable than a body-armor bra, more power to you! I didn't go commando female-style when mine were that big because the pendulous swing was really uncomfortable, but that doesn't bother some folks. It's certainly not my place to pass judgment.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
People like me? What kind of people am I? The kind of people who looks lousy without a bra? The kind of people whose nipples are perpetually poking out and need to cover them unless they are actively trying to draw attention to them? The kind of people who were brought up believing that women with breasts big enough to wobble when they walk, should make SOME attempt to prevent too much wobbling?

And I don't know where you get your idea about underwires causing cancer, or that wearing underwires creates a dependency on breast tissue and causes them to sag without them. Breasts sag when the body slows down the production of collagen and elastin, which is what keeps them perky and defying gravity. When there's nothing more to keep them bouncing back UP, then gravity will start pulling them DOWN.

People walk around with metal plates in their skulls, and never develop cancer from them. Whoever fabricated the ridiculous notion that placing an underwire between the seams of a brassiere would cause cancer, maybe they need a plate in their head to keep whatever's left of their brains from falling out. Or perhaps they could hook me up with the publisher of their book so I can get rich selling a load of horsecrap too. I feel badly that you've chosen to believe it, what with your phobia. But your phobia of death has nothing to do with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
it's people like you that make others self concious about not wearing one. I've worn a bra since I was 17 or 18 but ever since I read the website last night "why women wear bras" I don't know about it anymore. anything with the word cancer makes me really nervous (I have an extreme fear of death, I even can't sleep at night sometimes because I think about it too much and get scared I'm not going to wake up so yeah if something is said to cause cancer you can bet I will feel anxiety) It also certainly makes sense that it makes your boobs sag less to not wear one because it's artificial support, your body is so used to wearing one...it's similar to being on a drug. plus wearing one does feel uncomfortable when you think about it as it's pulling your boobs together. I know you can get professionally fitted but I would imagine it would still be uncomfortable because of the fact they're immobile and don't have space to breathe. I can't even afford that anyway. There's some nice camisoles at Nordstroms that are 46 dollars and I can't even afford that (it's also too far away to go)
right now my boobs feel weird in an uncomfortable way from not wearing one but I think it's because they need time to get used to it (like one of the websites said)
I'm going to get some alternatives at the store today but I'm nervous about wearing one even for a few hours..I feel like I have no other choice though because the fact that people could stare at me makes me nervous.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,948,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I agree with you 100%...the published reports on what damage is done after years of wearing bras is important. Just because we have been conditioned to conform (wear bras) to appease others' does not mean we can't wake up & take a stand. I hope that you just get the confidence to not care what other people's opinions are about this- be comfortable, & be healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty