U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
"They" DO make bras in 38-40 with A and B cups. Depending on who "they" is of course. There are bra manufacturers that specialize in plus-size lingerie, and they're the ones you need to look for. 38B isn't all that uncommon though, I'm pretty sure even Olga and Warners make those.
This is one place I'd love to see some links. I have a friend who has this problem. She has a terrible time finding bras that fit. Would love to be able to help her out. Think she's 40-42 (maybe even 44?) A or barely B. I've lost track of how many hours we've spent looking for bras that would fit her. Something pretty would be a huge deal for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Hate them hate them hate them. I have been fitted, I know my size, I still develop rashes where the fabric is underneath. I have very sensitive skin. I'm in my 50's now and around the house I either wear loose sweatshirts that allow me to do without around my son and his friends, or use a sports bra (thats what Im wearing now). I don't care about how my boobs look in clothes anymore or if the sports t-backs show at the neckline and give me a uniboob. I don't and won't ever care again. But I do have the regular support bras that I pull out when I'm going to be out or somewhere with a bunch of people.
A sports bra is still a bra. If I found a sports bra that was comfortable and looked good on me, I'd wear it. But I'm so used to the underwire it'd have to have one. I've tried on a few but I look ridiculous in them now.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,289,159 times
Quote:
"They" DO make bras in 38-40 with A and B cups. Depending on who "they" is of course. There are bra manufacturers that specialize in plus-size lingerie, and they're the ones you need to look for. 38B isn't all that uncommon though, I'm pretty sure even Olga and Warners make those.
My mother is a 38 or 40 A and weighs 130 lbs, so it's not just for plus gals. Some people (due to nationality) are just bigger around that part of their body. I could never be a size 2 even if I starved myself or wear a size 32 bra, as I have broad shoulders and have always needed at least a 36 and even at 120 lbs.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This is one place I'd love to see some links. I have a friend who has this problem. She has a terrible time finding bras that fit. Would love to be able to help her out. Think she's 40-42 (maybe even 44?) A or barely B. I've lost track of how many hours we've spent looking for bras that would fit her. Something pretty would be a huge deal for her.
I don't want to post advertisement links since I know the mods are a little sensitive about that stuff. But Bare Necessities is one of the labels that carries 40A, in some pretty styles.

Hanes has a specialty line called Just My Size that has some 40 and 42A cup bras, one even has an underwire (not sure why anyone with an A cup would want an underwire, let alone need one - maybe it's the same reason some of us enjoy corsets). Hanes also is the parent company of Glamorise, and several of the Bali selections start at a B cup, even with a 44 back size.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,289,159 times
Quote:
I don't want to post advertisement links since I know the mods are a little sensitive about that stuff. But Bare Necessities is one of the labels that carries 40A, in some pretty styles.

Hanes has a specialty line called Just My Size that has some 40 and 42A cup bras, one even has an underwire (not sure why anyone with an A cup would want an underwire, let alone need one - maybe it's the same reason some of us enjoy corsets). Hanes also is the parent company of Glamorise, and several of the Bali selections start at a B cup, even with a 44 back size.
Well, I must say, you do know your bras! Oh, and maybe it's possible to find them at Wal-mart, as Wal-mart carries JMS. Don't ask me how I know. I used to be such a tiny person.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
My mother is a 38 or 40 A and weighs 130 lbs, so it's not just for plus gals. Some people (due to nationality) are just bigger around that part of their body. I could never be a size 2 even if I starved myself or wear a size 32 bra, as I have broad shoulders and have always needed at least a 36 and even at 120 lbs.
It doesn't matter why YOU wear a plus-size bra. It IS a plus-size bra. 38 and 40 fall into the plus size category. Even if it's a small person with big shoulders wearing it.

Also, when you measure for a bra, you don't measure your shoulders. You measure UNDER the bust and around the back UNDER the shoulderblades, to determine back (band) size. The measurement that goes ON the shoulderblades, is the measurement that goes ON the breast, and that measurement is the cup size. The width of your shoulders has no bearing on your bra size, but it does affect the strap length needs.

Also (in response to your latest post) I'd never wear a size 2 either, and I'm small-boned and short. The smallest I've been comfortable in, over the past 30 years, was an 8. And at an 8, I still can't wear button-down shirts. I haven't worn button-down shirts in 30 years. If they fit in the shoulders, they're too tight in the boobs and pull apart at the buttons. If they fit over the boobs, they droop off the shoulders. So I just wear a women's large pullover/polo. I have VERY narrow shoulders. And DDD cup boobs. So it's a hassle. And that's why I know so much about bras. I've had to know, since I was around 12 and was already pushing a C cup while half the girls in my summer camp bunk didn't even need training bras yet.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,287,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
...The first thing that comes off when I hit the door is my shoes (hard to fit feet too) and the second is my bra!...
You must be my long-lost twin!!!

I have the same dilemma. I have been professionally measured at three different places, been given three different sizes, and over my bra-wearing lifetime have paid everything from 7.99 to almost 100.00 for a single bra.

It doesn't matter. None of them fit like they are supposed to, and all of them have been uncomfortable. If the bra sags in front, shorten the straps. Which makes the bra ride up in the back. If the bra rides up in the back, lengthen the straps. Which makes the bra sag in the front. Even if I were to adjust the straps with a micrometer, I cannot win.

Oh yeah, and I've never had a strap fall off my shoulder. Quite the opposite, they always cut deeply into my shoulder.

I once had a boss who used to yell across the room at me "show me your +i+$!" So I'd bend down and lift up my pants hems! He'd fall over laughing!

Currently at home on the couch...braless.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
You must be my long-lost twin!!!

I have the same dilemma. I have been professionally measured at three different places, been given three different sizes, and over my bra-wearing lifetime have paid everything from 7.99 to almost 100.00 for a single bra.

It doesn't matter. None of them fit like they are supposed to, and all of them have been uncomfortable. If the bra sags in front, shorten the straps. Which makes the bra ride up in the back. If the bra rides up in the back, lengthen the straps. Which makes the bra sag in the front. Even if I were to adjust the straps with a micrometer, I cannot win.

Oh yeah, and I've never had a strap fall off my shoulder. Quite the opposite, they always cut deeply into my shoulder.

I once had a boss who used to yell across the room at me "show me your +i+$!" So I'd bend down and lift up my pants hems! He'd fall over laughing!

Currently at home on the couch...braless.
If they're cutting deeply, then you need wide, padded straps. If you're having trouble with sagging vs. riding up, then you need a LOT more support than you're getting with your current style of bra. It sounds, based on the problems you're describing, that you have "heavy, dense" breasts (that doesn't necessarily mean big).

You know how you can get 10 women who all wear a 34C together, each wearing the exact same bra, and some of them will look exquisite and others will make you gag and wonder what she was thinking when she went lingerie shopping. It's because of the density and muscle tone, and general "heaviness." Not to mention the natural shape - some women are "conical" and some are spread wide, some well-rounded underneath and gently sloped up top, and some rounded everywhere.

So it's not just a matter of size. It's also a matter of style. Style can make or break your entire outfit, when it comes to your bra, even if you're wearing one that has a perfect fit.

Unfortunately, sometimes if you want to "look good" (I hate that term but there it is), you have to sacrifice comfort, and go with the girdle material and the underwire. The bra I just got is extremely sturdy, has extra side-panel support, has very little stretch to it (thus preventing sag/ride-up issues entirely, that thing STAYS PUT), and nearly-rigid, but adjustable straps. The oddest thing about it: it's absolutely gorgeous and is made with french lace on the top half.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,287,411 times
Quote:
If they're cutting deeply, then you need wide, padded straps. If you're having trouble with sagging vs. riding up, then you need a LOT more support than you're getting with your current style of bra. It sounds, based on the problems you're describing, that you have "heavy, dense" breasts (that doesn't necessarily mean big)...

Unfortunately, sometimes if you want to "look good" (I hate that term but there it is), you have to sacrifice comfort, and go with the girdle material and the underwire. The bra I just got is extremely sturdy, has extra side-panel support, has very little stretch to it (thus preventing sag/ride-up issues entirely, that thing STAYS PUT), and nearly-rigid, but adjustable straps. The oddest thing about it: it's absolutely gorgeous and is made with french lace on the top half.
I want to be comfortable. I want to forget I'm wearing a bra, just like everyone else. I want to not tug and pull at it from moment to moment all day long. I don't care what the bra looks like.

My current bra is pretty supportive (yes, I'm heavy, dense, and big) with underwires (been wearing those since high school) and girdle material, and those big, padded, rigid but adjustable straps. My oldest sister clued me into those. She used to need to have her bras specially made, so this runs in my family.

Still the straps leave painful marks, and the bra gives me backfat (the more backfat, the better the bra stays in place ). The bras I was "professionally fitted" for (one was at an upscale department store in Chicago) gave me no backfat, but slid all over the place. And the hard seam in front gives me that "third boob" look made popular in Total Recall!!!

I have considered reduction surgery.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM

180 posts, read 338,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
What cup and band size are you? (Ballpark, I mean.)

I ask because depending upon what you wear, you may have a lot more alternatives than you think. The "Why Wear Bras?" article I linked to earlier offers over a dozen different types of bra alternatives and bra-like undergarments that are suitable for work. A few suggestions I have tried myself include:

-Camisoles (I have some cropped and some full-length.)
-Thin sports bras (Like this: C9 by Champion® Women's Seamless Cami Bra - Cabana Green : Target (http://tinyurl.com/3qxrnbg - broken link) – fantastic under dress clothes, especially when you get them in neutrals or black, because of the thin straps)
-T-shirt bras or unstructured bras (no underwire, can be found at stores like American Apparel – check out these options: American Apparel | Women's Styles | Bras)
-Tanks with shelf bras
-Thick-ribbed tank tops
-Bikini tops (A plain black, nude, white, or pink athletic-cut top should work fine.)

As mentioned, I'm a D, which is significant boobage, usually a size that's recommended to always wear an underwire. You can't typically find "cute," cheap, traditional bras above a C-cup, especially not without underwire, and that's another reason why I love the "alternatives" I mentioned above...they're significantly cheaper.

Roamans & Lane Bryant have colorful, cute bras in DD on up. They are on the pricey side but, they do have them. That's where I buy my bras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty