Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

You can always count on animal rights activists to derail any thread involving fur.

I've spent a little time in NYC but not much (did see fur FWIW), but I do see people wearing fur quite a bit here in Vermont. If you like it and can afford it, go for it. Might want to insure it while going to school. Don't confine yourself to only mink though, there are many furs besides mink that are quite nice: fox, beaver, fisher, sable, bobcat...

As for PETA, their paint throwing antics are acts of eco-terrorism, and should anyone experience that they should press to have charges filed. Most of those animal rights types have no understanding whatsoever of the reality of those animals' lives. Wild furbearers will generally lead short lives and die of starvation, disease, or get eaten alive in the wild. They easily overpopulate. I found the beavers in a lodge here starved to death this past winter; several lodges close to each other, too little food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can always count on animal rights activists to derail any thread involving fur.

I've spent a little time in NYC but not much (did see fur FWIW), but I do see people wearing fur quite a bit here in Vermont. If you like it and can afford it, go for it. Might want to insure it while going to school. Don't confine yourself to only mink though, there are many furs besides mink that are quite nice: fox, beaver, fisher, sable, bobcat...

As for PETA, their paint throwing antics are acts of eco-terrorism, and should anyone experience that they should press to have charges filed. Most of those animal rights types have no understanding whatsoever of the reality of those animals' lives. Wild furbearers will generally lead short lives and die of starvation, disease, or get eaten alive in the wild. They easily overpopulate. I found the beavers in a lodge here starved to death this past winter; several lodges close to each other, too little food.
Um, in case you havent noticed, you're the first one thats brought all this up.
The rest of us just said its tacky.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Which suits your life style better.......one coat that had limits on what you could wear it with or several (for the same or less price) that you could change around according to your activity?

A coat like that says: "Look at ME. I have money to burn. Aren't I the special person!!!!"

And if you do have money to burn.....it's considered bad taste to brag about it.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Are you saying today's celebrities don't wear mink coats in particular, or fur period? Because there's plenty of celebrities who sport fur:

Kim Kardashian
http://trend911.com/wp-content/Kim-K...rown-Hat-1.jpg

Beyonce
http://www.wohoo.co.uk/wp-content/up...wntown-nyc.jpg

Eva Longoria
http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/200...ria-fur-02.jpg

Naomi Campbell
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.stylelist...40sc112309.jpg
OK, you just lost me. Who wants to emulate these people?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
The OP is in her 20's, she is not afraid of being different. I see nothing wrong with getting a chic old fur to wear around school in the winter with jeans, etc. I can picture it looking really cute and individualistic. Someone with flair can definitely pull that off.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
I find fur coats to be the highest expression of tacky and old-looking, they are beyond demode.

The most elegant, chic people I have ever met either have never worn fur coats or stopped wearing them eons ago; they are just unbelievably passe.
People who wear fur coats are the same who buy a famous purse - only if it has a huge logo to show everyone "look at me, look at me, I can afford it!" if that is not tacky, I have no idea what is.

I have zero interest in dressing like celebrities, btw. I have a personality... thanks, but no thanks.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
The whole "Bling designer" craze of the late 90s is so over. Try Jersey or LI if you want that to work. But NOT at a college. Anywhere.
Think Green, vintage, thrift stores and NEVER try to look wealthy.
What ever you choose to wear.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, you just lost me. Who wants to emulate these people?
You may not want to, but millions of women across the world do. These ladies aren't in countless fashion magazines for being ugly and bad dressers. They know what they're doing.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um, in case you havent noticed, you're the first one thats brought all this up.
The rest of us just said its tacky.
Not quite.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18923923-post49.html

I could point out more examples on this thread too.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
You may not want to, but millions of women across the world do. These ladies aren't in countless fashion magazines for being ugly and bad dressers. They know what they're doing.
Forgive my honest opinion, but they look like bag ladies on these pics, especially when the fur coats are big.
Not to mention they look incredibly fatter than they really are; why in the world most "stars" starve themselves stick-thin then go outwearing something that makes them look several sizes bigger is beyond me... I wouldn't do either (starve or wear those ugly coats).

The long ones look like my grandma's old bathrobes. Go figure...

And ugly or not, bad dresser or not, it is all a matter of personal taste... just bc women who can't buy a newspaper without dressing to copy what others dress do it, by no means mean they are necessarily beautiful and fashionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty