Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times

Advertisements

I agree. Everyone will have their own personal taste, but at the end of the day, high fashion is still high fashion. It's one thing to say "I don't like this" but it's another thing to say that it isn't fashionable. So the idea that wearing fur is tacky or "declasse" is pretty much false. Full length coats are usually seen as over the top, but there's nothing pretentious about wearing smaller items like a jacket. I still wouldn't suggest anyone wear that to school, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I think I get what you're saying:

1. You're going to live in New York and you need to keep warm in the winter.
2. You want to look good, and probably not blend in with all the other students.
3. You want to remember your grandmother with something that you will have for a long time and will make you feel good.

I don't disagree with any of those wishes, but I don't think buying a fur coat is the way to go. It's not as practical as most other options, it's not as "stylish" as you might hope for because it alienates so many people, and it will probably alienate not only your fellow students but also potential employers when you're going for job interviews.

You can buy a warm, stylish (i.e. not down-filled) coat for way less than $4,500. After you have that you can bank the money or buy something nice, like maybe a ring or a nice watch that will last you a lifetime, with some of the rest of your inheritance.

Then bank the rest or use it for some of the shockingly high expenses you'll be confronting as a student.

And good luck.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:04 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I had real fur coats years ago, got rid of them. Would not and surely would not waste my money today on a coat of real fur. Today i am against anything real fur. I would put that money to better use except on a fur coat. That is too much for a fur coat.

I truly don't think that furs today are as popular as they were in the 50's 60's era. With what we now know of how the furs are made, no way i want a part of that.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think I get what you're saying:

1. You're going to live in New York and you need to keep warm in the winter.
2. You want to look good, and probably not blend in with all the other students.
3. You want to remember your grandmother with something that you will have for a long time and will make you feel good.

I don't disagree with any of those wishes, but I don't think buying a fur coat is the way to go. It's not as practical as most other options, it's not as "stylish" as you might hope for because it alienates so many people, and it will probably alienate not only your fellow students but also potential employers when you're going for job interviews.

You can buy a warm, stylish (i.e. not down-filled) coat for way less than $4,500. After you have that you can bank the money or buy something nice, like maybe a ring or a nice watch that will last you a lifetime, with some of the rest of your inheritance.

Then bank the rest or use it for some of the shockingly high expenses you'll be confronting as a student.

And good luck.
^ This.

I'd look for a well-made cashmere coat, in either black or camel with a classic cut and perfect fit. Take care of it and wear it forever. In the meantime, find a great vintage brooch at an estate sale or antique shop (I love Eisenberg) and wear it on the coat or anytime you want to remember your grandmother.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
^ This.

I'd look for a well-made cashmere coat, in either black or camel with a classic cut and perfect fit. Take care of it and wear it forever. In the meantime, find a great vintage brooch at an estate sale or antique shop (I love Eisenberg) and wear it on the coat or anytime you want to remember your grandmother.
Agreed. And LOVE the idea of an Eisenberg brooch!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Conspicuous Consumption with no artistic sense has ALWAYS been out in NYC. As well as in many other places.
No thread was derailed. Unless the OP is going to a beauty school with lots of outer borough girls, that coat will NOT impress anyone.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
If you want to go with fur, go with vintage fur so you're not supporting the current fur industry and only go with fur if you live somewhere it gets really cold!
Also vintage fur will be much cheaper.
Hummmmmmm, in Alaska, lots of people wear fur.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Conspicuous Consumption with no artistic sense has ALWAYS been out in NYC. As well as in many other places.
No thread was derailed. Unless the OP is going to a beauty school with lots of outer borough girls, that coat will NOT impress anyone.
Did the OP mention something about wanting to imnpress anyone? I must've missed that.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Okay, not getting into the politics of fur from dead animals or whether fur's appropriate for a college student (of any age), I don't like the coat. Why? It looks like a long bathrobe made out of fake fur. It's not a fun or stylish coat and does nothing for me...the model wearing the spike heels and the pout looks cheap and so does the coat.

My advice? Investigate cashmere or alpaca.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Did the OP mention something about wanting to imnpress anyone? I must've missed that.
You did. She said she wants to look "glamorous". Isn't that wanting to impress people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty