U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,016,976 times

Advertisements

ditto!! After several skin cancer scares I can safely say I now embrace my paleness and I too have Irish ancestry and love life more than tans. Look at people like Nicole Kidman; she is gorgeous and very fair. Tannning/sun is so so very bad for the skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Are you asking about lotions to lay in the sun with or the tan-in-a-tube lotions/self-tanners???

I would think you're referring to the lotions to lay in the sun with?

But anyways....

I also have a very fair complexion, light hair, light eyes...recipe for disaster if I did lay in the sun!...needless to say, I do not sunbathe.
Besides for the obvious reasons ie., risk of skin cancer, it's also a quick way to age your skin.

As far as self-tanners go...I used one once and that was enough!...the "tan" came out looking OK, but the odor it left on my skin was not very pleasant.
The funky odor is due to the chemical reaction taking place between your skin and the key ingredient in sunless tanners — dihydroxyacetone (DHA).

It’s that reaction that causes your skin color to turn "tan".
The smell typically goes away when you next shower. But still....
However, I searched and found many newer products — including self-tanners by Chanel, Clarins and Bliss — manage to mask the characteristic sunless-tanner aroma with other scents.

I've embraced my Irish heritage and accepted my fair skin for what it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,066,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
hey everyone
was wondering if tanning lotion (not the sunless ones)works for really pale people ones that have alot of freckles or are just pale
not trying to offend anyone but not everybody is graced with a nice tan
i'm very pale too (but the "darkest" out of my siblings, suffice to say they are whiter than Elmer's Glue ), and I use sunless tanners during the summer, as I won't sunbathe. I've tried a lot of stuff, and I've found the best (for me) is the Loreal tanning towels. Really handy and convenient, you get good coverage and it seems to last (on me at least). I actually have to use the Medium, as the Light didn't do anything. I don't use them everyday, just enough to make me not 'glow in the dark', LOL! Btw - I'm blonde/blue eyed, no freckles.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 AM

13,474 posts, read 21,270,629 times
Kay and Doj, thanks for the advice..I am going shopping for self tanner. I know, its almost October, but a healthy glow should be kept year round

Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,974,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Blue, I think it is Jergens that has a facial sunless tanner that is mixed with a moisturizer. It is really subtle. There is a lady that I work with who uses it and I was surprised when she told me it was fake. Definitely a far cry above the quality of the originals!
Yes, I have used Jergens too. I just prefer the scent of Hawaiian Tropic better, but I don't think they have one specifically for the face. I find, for pale skin, the moisturizers combined with tanner is much, much more subtle and natural than a tanner by itself. L'Oreal also makes one that is good but again, I didn't like the scent of it as well as the Hawaiian Tropic.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM

618 posts, read 1,469,793 times
Quote:
hey everyone
was wondering if tanning lotion (not the sunless ones)works for really pale people ones that have alot of freckles or are just pale

Hello
I have pale skin, with pinkish tones, and before using tanning lotion I only burned. I figured I'd try to get a nice tan and bought Banana Boats Tanning Lotion with an SPF of 6, I think. After laying out in the sun for about a half an hour for a couple of days, I did notice that I started to tan and not burn. Although my skin still looked somewhat pink, it did somewhat have that nice tan look to it. I didn't chance using the lotion on my face though...my face always burns.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,800,058 times
Quote:
hey everyone
You might take a look at Melanotan.

BTW, this won't mean you can go without lotion. Personally, I don't try to get tans, but if I'm going to be subjected to sunlight, I will protect myself with the highest rated lotion I can get.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 04-14-2008 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Add to message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:21 AM

1,861 posts, read 6,749,253 times
I am fair Scotch/Irish and even the new sunless tanners have an orangey brownish color on me. I have tried the jergens, loreal, neutrogena,estee lauder, clinique, clarins, one I recently tried but can't remember the name of was very orange on me and had glitter/shimmer in it to boot. Big mistake! I really would love color on my legs especially since I play tennis four times a week but just have not found one that I don't think looks fake.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,584,318 times
They have some awesome products now on the market, concerning sunless tanners!
(With the skin cancer scare on the rise, no wonder)
Yes, even though I live in FL, I am fair skinned, during the winter months.
Here is some helpful hints I've tried out on myself.
* Start of with a product specifically designed for "fair skin".....you have to gradually start "building" a tan.
* After building you base tan (for fair skin) switch over to a "med" tone....advancing eventually to a "deep tone" product.
* ALWAYS, always exfoliate in the shower, with a BODY exfoliate! Dry skin on your body will create blotchy patches by absorbing to much tanner!
* If you really want to prevent streaks, mix some of the tanner you are using with your favorite body moisturizer. Yes, it will make it a bit less "potent", but, that way will be more easily absorbed by the skin. Think "layers".....and "building" the tan.
* Keep in mind as well, that some over- all body tanners are sometimes not meant for the face. I have to use the specifically designed product (from the same brand) for the face, because I had an allergic reaction in my face!
* Do yourself the favor, and wear dark clothes for the day AFTER. Even though the packages read that it will be dry in "such and such" time, that concept never seemed to work on me.
* Go light in the application on rough spots on your body (for example: knees, elbows, upper heel area) because of blotches.
* Wash hands IMMEDIATELY after....or your palms will be orange. (I started using medical, latex gloves.)
* Go very light on the top of your feet and toes......because of possible streaks and blotches.
* When you are doing self tanners.....moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! It will make the tanner last longer, prevent streaks...and your skin will stay subtle and smooth, making the applications easier, faster and more even.
* A very helpful hint..(Yeah, I wish someone would have told me about this one !!! )..When you are unsure of a product, and how it will look (not to get a rude awakening with turning orange!) Go to a "Walgreens" or "CVS", or if you chose a high end cosmetic store.
If you are going to a reg. drugstore (mentioned above) buy it, apply on a inconspicuous spot, and see how it looks. If you don't like it, return it for a full refund (store policy). At a high end store, either ask them for a sample, or have THEM put on a spot.....that way you are not "stuck" with a product not working for you, and you didn't use yourself as a guinea pig with an overall and full application.
(Trust me on this one....LOL.....Learned the hard way, running around bright orange for a while, until it wore off......)
It sounds a bit difficult, but it really isn't.
Even if you have to get use to it, "getting the hang" of it, it's really not bad, and you will become a pro in no time.

And, YOUR SKIN WILL THANK YOU!

I use to lay out in the sun AND going to tanning beds constantly!
Now I'm at the end of my 30's and trying to reverse the sun damage I created!
I mainly rely on sunless tanners now, and my skin is so, so much better, and doesn't look like "sun dried leather" anymore.
All I can do is highly recommend it!
Good luck!

Last edited by MB2; 04-21-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,177,238 times
I have to say that I'm also blessed with Irish ancestry, but also Italian and Cherokee Indian mixed in there, so I do tan very easily. But if I'm out too long (more than 2 hours) I'm liable to burn too.

I personally use Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen and Coppertone sunscreen (at least an SPF 20 or so).

I use some self-tanners like the Jergen's one that was mentioned earlier, for a more gradual look. Works great on my face (I wear a big, floppy hat when tanning outdoors). So my face is covered pretty much.

But I have to say is don't spend a lot of time in the sun or tanning beds. I only tan about 2 times a week (no more than 1 hour; 30 minutes on my front and 30 minutes on my back) and that's all. Go very moderately, it's safer that way.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 AM

5 posts, read 14,039 times
sure it works but sometimes it doesn't look natural : it's orange !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or