Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:59 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times

Advertisements

The best for me is the cat eye look

the worst is when people overkill it with their liner and make themselves look like raccoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Well, we could have just continued this conversation in that other thread where I brought it up.

lol

Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Personally, I don't like the matte' finish in foundation. Prefer a dewy look.

Though it's not makeup, I HATE the bushy eyebrows of the 80's. Girls not only let them grow, they accentuated them more. Hope that look never comes back.

Black-lined lips, with or without color.

Dark shadow all the way up to the brows ~ another 80's fad.

LOVE cat-eye liner! But I also like the smudge-liner, though it can get carried away.

Love lipstick, in any color.

Love a dusting of glitter around the eyes for nighttime.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
The foundation line around the jaw-line...just wrong!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 PM

26 posts, read 30,646 times
In general, the best make-up look is just a touch of color and shimmer to accentuate your face. The worst make-up look is an overdone camouflaging of the face.

My favorite make-up style is wearing white on the eye's water line and shimmering white on the eye's corners.

My least favorite make-up style is drawn-on beauty marks.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Visible lip liner. Smoky eye (looks good in magazines, but have rarely seen it look good in person). Tanned body + pale face.

Love the "natural" make-up look.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Hate:
Shaving off eyebrows and drawing new ones on
Wearing dark lip liner + the above look
Trying for the Egyptian look, and end up looking like Amy Winehouse
Crazy eyeshadow color combinations and styles (looks good on tv, runway, etc but not in real life)

Love:
Wearing makeup to compliment instead of to cover up everything

Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
What I like...

-NOT looking made-up, about 99% of the time. This means I prefer skin-tone evening products as needed, and neutral colors that don't jump out and scream "LOOK AT MY MAKEUP!!!"

-The other 1% of the time, i.e. special events that are more formal and call for a more dramatic look, I'm a fan of cat-eye liquid, gel, or pen liner. NOT overdrawn or ringing the eye...just a thicker, defined line on the upper lash that extends a LITTLE big past the outer corner without a pronounced wing. I will tolerate dramatic lip color if the situation seems to warrant it.

-Natural, groomed brows. Tweezing for strays only, NOT to reshape the brow. Your face is the way it is for a reason. Thanks to facebook, I can see what different coworkers looked like when they were in high school, college, etc., before somebody sold them on overzealous brow plucking...they look like totally different people, and NOT in a good way.

What I dislike:

-Most things that wouldn't be listed under the "natural look" category.

-Cakey foundation

- Obviously over-plucked, over-shaped brows.

-Black mascara on light blondes...makes you look harsh and squinty like carnival trash.

-Trying to cover freckles with product.

-Liner applied to the inner rims of lashes...eye infection waiting to happen, plus, it makes eyes look smaller, which is rarely something that's preferable.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Worst:
"Permanent" makeup
Too much makeup (aka the "Bozo the Clown" look), especially blush
Wearing a look that looks good on someone else rather than yourself
Poorly applied makeup

Best:

No makeup, if you can pull it off
The opposite of all of the above
Staying current, modern, fresh: I love the hot pink lipstick look with a neutral and understated eye/cheek

Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 AM

346 posts, read 498,076 times
Agree with others: HATE, hate hate visible lip liner drawn around the lips which is darker than lipstick color.

LOVE: the cat eye look- HATE when this is done incorrectly, a la Amy Winehouse. She looks like she drew her eyeliner on with a magic marker, while high.

LOVE:

The smoky eye, eyebrows that are neat, but following the natural shape.

HATE:

Mismatched foundation, shaved eyebrows with new ones drawn in (often looking like Spock),
Hate the use of bright yellow and other weird colors on the eyes- this might make a statement on the runway, but I have yet to see it look good on anyone in real life.
Also hate strange colored mascara in shades like pink or white. It looks like a mistake, makes the eyes look smaller instead of bigger, and the pink I saw made the model look like she had an eye infection.
Except for a few exceptions, hate bright red lipstick. It looks good on very few people- but when it doesn't go well with the person's coloring, it looks clown-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty