U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,281,590 times

Advertisements

Example of how pulled up black sport socks look good (when you are performing a sport!)...
Lance Armstrong Flattens Black Sock’s Fashion Stigma Lost and Found Department

Example of tube socks which are now popular with skaters...
Striped Tube Socks – Knee high socks, tube socks, knee socks, old school striped tube socks, striped socks, knee high striped socks, arm warmers, leg warmers, retro socks, headbands, wristbands, vintage socks, over the knee striped socks, low c

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Oh Good Grief!!! It really doesn't matter. Understand? Whether or not a person looks good depends on the stupidity of the viewer.

If you are really concerned about whether or not your socks are just right, go barefoot.
I believe it matters. I would love a picture of a pushed down tube sock looking good with shorts....

Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

402 posts, read 1,207,634 times
Cool No show is the way to go. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Have tube socks completely given way to ankle socks as the choice with mens shorts? Personally I think ankle socks look somewhat effiminate but tube socks hiked up over the calf look "oldmanish". What's the general fashion consensus (meaning what do women think look best) for guys wearing socks with shorts?
Tube socks are generally only worn in certain sports (soccer, basketball, etc.) or by kids who are trying to look nerdy. I have asked why they wear them and this is what they say.

Colored tube socks underneath slacks is the exception. You can wear paisley socks under your trousers and no one will care.

Pushing down ankle socks (with shorts) is called "slouching" and that went out with the 80s.

If you need socks, wear no-show, low rise, or ankle socks. Most teens (the population most concerned with being on trend) won't touch anything above a no-show.

Whatever you choose, NEVER, EVER wear socks with SANDALS! Put deodorant on your soles if need be.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
no matter what you wear, someone will think you look like a dork.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
[b][color="DarkSlateGray"]Most teens (the population most concerned with being on trend) won't touch anything above a no-show.
What adult cares what teenagers think or want?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM

[quote=GoCUBS1;19386540I would love a picture of a pushed down tube sock looking good with shorts....[/QUOTE]Moderator cut: image removed

Ive worn my socks like this the early 80s and i will continue to do so until my dying day (unless im old and cold then i'll probably pull them up). Im sure this looks hideous to some just as im sure this Moderator cut: image removed looks beautiful to others.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Ive worn my socks like this the early 80s and i will continue to do so until my dying day (unless im old and cold then i'll probably pull them up). Im sure this looks hideous to some just as im sure this looks beautiful to others.
LMAO! I almost spit out my coffee when I saw this! I am going to give you my unsolicited female opinion.... (I know you'll hate me for it, but I can't resist).

1. Those pushed down socks look totally dorky.

2. Get some no-show socks! If you think they are "too effeminate," then get some ankle socks with a masculine logo like "Under Armour" on them.

3. Clean off your dirty running shoes (I have no problem with the New Balance shoes though).

4. Your shorts are too short and faded. Did you also get these shorts in the early 80s? Get new shorts with a longer length. Also, wear running shorts (e.g. Nike) with your running shoes OR wear casual shoes and no socks with your new, better-fitting linen shorts. Although I can't see it, I have a sneaking suspicion your shorty shorts also have an elastic waistband.

5. Moisturize your knees. They are scaly.

6. Are those your white, pinstripped slippers in the background? I don't like them. Get a new pair of L.L. Bean brown shearling slippers.

But on the bright side..........

You do have very nice toned legs. You must be a runner.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-31-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

1. Those pushed down socks look totally dorky. I dont care.

2. Get some no-show socks! If you think they are "too effeminate," then get some ankle socks with a masculine logo like "Under Armour" on them. I dont care about fashion.

3. Clean off your dirty running shoes (I have no problem with the New Balance shoes though). (grass stain doesnt wash off and i dont care).

4. Your shorts are too short and faded. Did you also get these shorts in the early 80s? Get new shorts with a longer length. Also, wear running shorts (e.g. Nike) with your running shoes OR wear casual shoes and no socks with your new, better-fitting linen shorts. Although I can't see it, I have a sneaking suspicion your shorty shorts also have an elastic waistband. (If i wanted longer shorts id wear pants).

5. Moisturize your knees. They are scaly. (Guess what? i dont care)

6. Are those your white, pinstripped slippers in the background? I don't like them. Get a new pair of L.L. Bean brown shearling slippers. (I dont care if you dont like them. Screw LL Bean and get glasses because my slippers arent pinstriped.

But on the bright side..........

You do have very nice toned legs. You must be a runner. Thanks but i dont care for running.)
Obviously the post being replied to was written by someone under the age of (im going to guess) 25. If i cared about what others thought i wouldnt have posted the pic (lol especially the opinion of a cubs fan)

Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Obviously the post being replied to was written by someone under the age of (im going to guess) 25. If i cared about what others thought i wouldnt have posted the pic (lol especially the opinion of a cubs fan)
Do you have no sense of humor? We are on a fashion forum and the OP asked for female opinions about socks. You then posted a picture of yourself as proof of "a pushed down tube sock looking good with shorts." It does not look good. Not at all. I gave my honest opinion. What do you expect?

And I am an attractive, educated, professional woman well over 25. I could care less if you keep wearing dorky, pushed down tube socks with shorty Mcshorts for the rest of your life. And obviously, there are bigger issues in the world. Maybe some day a woman (or man) in your life can help you look a little better. Clothing choices do make an impression on people, whether you like it or not.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM

774 posts, read 1,637,924 times
Those are not shorty shorts by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty