U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,548,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Have tube socks completely given way to ankle socks as the choice with mens shorts? Personally I think ankle socks look somewhat effiminate but tube socks hiked up over the calf look "oldmanish". What's the general fashion consensus (meaning what do women think look best) for guys wearing socks with shorts?
If you're doing a physical activity, ware the ankle socks but if it's not physical related or yard work, go with sandal's and shorts, no socks of any type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I like ankle socks (with tennis shoes) or no socks (with loafers/sandals). Tube socks do not sound good.
They sure don't.

White tubes.......

Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
huh? maybe at the beach but omg your shoes are going to stink like mad without socks.
Actually no they will not. A good pair of leather shoes will not stink. Like the OP said, Topsiders or sandals.good quality leather but light enough for the summer heat.

I go sockless all summer.....loafers and sandals. Not to mention, it just looks better for men, to look and dress like men.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Uh.... That would be.....

(D) - none of the above

Almost all of the time, if I am mowing the grass, I am barefooted. If I am working in the garden, I am barefooted. If I am outside playing with the dogs, throwing frisbees et. al., I am barefooted. If we have to go out somewhere, it is either sneakers, no socks, or penny loafers, no socks. I do wear socks in winter with hunting boots.
you could lose a toe doing that.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,260,758 times
Trust me..I'm a lifelong avid shorts devotee, having lived in warm cities all my life. Here in Austin, I'm in shorts from around April through October. I'm also very vain--just ask my wife--so listen hard to the golden nugget of fashion wisdom I am about to impart upon y'all:
The best look with shorts is no socks. Yep: topsiders--or sandles-- and no socks cannot be beat for beach bum cool.
Next best look is those little ankle socks that barely peek above your shoe collar.
In fact: the list of alternatives stops there! Any socks high than those look terrible. For years, white mid-calf socks were OK, but they have become fashionably unacceptable for the past 10 years or so.
Colored socks? Please. Unless you're a 70 year-old retiree from Philly living down in Florida, sitting in the sun and blinking like a lizard and trying to pretend it's not too hot, and, hey, you just plain don't give a rat's ass how ya look, then colored socks with shorts are nothing less than Fashion Death.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 06-06-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Actually no they will not. A good pair of leather shoes will not stink. Like the OP said, Topsiders or sandals.good quality leather but light enough for the summer heat.

I go sockless all summer.....loafers and sandals. Not to mention, it just looks better for men, to look and dress like men.
and if you cant afford a "good pair of leather shoes"? Sorry not all of us shop at high end stores. Id never hear the end of it if i wore ANY shoes without socks. Loafers and sandals? Sorry, too preppy for me.

No thanks, Id rather dress like Pee Wee Herman.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM

15,229 posts, read 23,756,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
and if you cant afford a "good pair of leather shoes"? Sorry not all of us shop at high end stores. Id never hear the end of it if i wore ANY shoes without socks. Loafers and sandals? Sorry, too preppy for me.

No thanks, Id rather dress like Pee Wee Herman.

Ugh, me eithe!!

I would not be caught dead wearing sandals or loafers, never ever ever, not today not tomorrow or the day after, never.....

I am not a preppy type of man, nor do I want to look like a preppy man. blech !

Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,683,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Trust me..I'm a lifelong avid shorts devotee, having lived in warm cities all my life. Here in Austin, I'm in shorts from around April through October. I'm also very vain--just ask my wife--so listen hard to the golden nugget of fashion wisdom I am about to impart upon y'all:
The best look with shorts is no socks. Yep: topsiders--or sandles-- and no socks cannot be beat for beach bum cool.
Next best look is those little ankle socks that barely peek above your shoe collar.
In fact: the list of alternatives stops there! Any socks high than those look terrible. For years, white mid-calf socks were OK, but they have become fashionably unacceptable for the past 10 years or so.
Colored socks? Please. Unless you're a 70 year-old retiree from Philly living down in Florida, sitting in the sun and blinking like a lizard and trying to pretend it's not too hot, and, hey, you just plain don't give a rat's ass how ya look, then colored socks with shorts are nothing less than Fashion Death.
I agree 100% with the no socks for sperry boat shoes.

But sometimes the excessive friction hurt my leg's underside. So I wear socks at times. One time I went to the zoo, walked around 2 hours and felt like crap

Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,255,168 times
I should have specified we're talking sneakers here. I can't imagine wearing socks with either sandals or top-siders.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 AM

7,658 posts, read 7,461,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I realize there is a difference between black dress socks and black athletic socks, but I'm really surprised black socks of any kind have become popular with shorts. I saw some young basketball players wearing black athletic socks pulled up to mid-calf with shorts at the gym yesterday.

You can thank the "Fab Five" at the University of Michigan in the early/mid-90s for that trend in basketball. I'm certain they weren't the originators, but they certainly made it mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty