Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Every dermatologist I've ever been to has strongly advised against using St Ives or any other apricot scrub. Those scrubs are made up of pulverized walnet shells - they have irregular, jagged shapes which make tiny little tears in your skin.

Whatever you use for physical exfoilation - it should be uniform in aize, and small and round.
Oh wow. I used to use that stuff as a teenager, but I haven't touched it since. I always thought the abrasive nature of the product would have my skin looking like peaches and cream. I actually never noticed an improvement. In hindsight, the scrub was a little too harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:36 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,276,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Every dermatologist I've ever been to has strongly advised against using St Ives or any other apricot scrub. Those scrubs are made up of pulverized walnet shells - they have irregular, jagged shapes which make tiny little tears in your skin.

Whatever you use for physical exfoilation - it should be uniform in aize, and small and round.

I have never had any problems with St.Ives scrubs and I have used several different ones that they have. However, I don't have sensitive or problem skin.

Shortly after I started using St. Ives scrubs my Merle Norman representative was raving about how good my skin looked. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I had switched products.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,594,963 times
I use Cetaphil (which is my regular cleanser) mixed with a little superfine (not confectioner's) sugar. Sugar's crystals are not jagged, so you get good exfoliation without causing micro-tears in the skin.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,133 times
I rub soap (Dove sensitive skin unscented) into my hand to create a rich lather, and then add a bit of sugar to it before washing my face. It exfoliates beautifully.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,147,117 times
Olay Age Defying Daily Renewal Clenser.

Smells good too.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,038,875 times
This might sound totally weird or crazy, but I just exfoliated my face with a mixture of toothpaste (Burt's Bee's brand) and salt. Just regular table salt. I mixed the two into a paste, spread it on, left it on for about 5 minutes, then got my fingers wet with warm water and gently rubbed my face all over - especially my nose area. Then rinsed. Face feels great!

I did this because I've had a very stubbon blackhead (gross, I know...) on my nose and NOTHING was working to remove it, even this extractor tool that usually always works. Steam, biore strips, lemon juice, tea tree oil, nothing... So I got on youtube to see what other ideas I could find for blackheads and this toothpaste/salt thing was new to me!

Anyway - my blackhead is now gone. Thank you. And my face is smooth and lovely again. And maybe it's just me but the toothpaste I used was a whitening formula and my face does seem brighter now! Might just be my imagination... I dunno...

Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,898,947 times
This is not a cream exfoliant but a manual one: Clarisonic
Clarisonic | Clarisonic | Skin care brush from lead inventor of Sonicare

Both my daughter and I have one and really see the benefits on our faces. Initially it is more expensive, I think its $100-$150 I don't remember, but it lasts a lot longer than a tube of wash!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,391,568 times
Quote:
This might sound totally weird or crazy, but I just exfoliated my face with a mixture of toothpaste (Burt's Bee's brand) and salt. Just regular table salt. I mixed the two into a paste, spread it on, left it on for about 5 minutes, then got my fingers wet with warm water and gently rubbed my face all over - especially my nose area. Then rinsed. Face feels great!
Not too weird to me - I use a gentle soap, like Olay Senstive and mix in a tablespoon or so of baking soda, or sugar, even have used salt. The best thing is how much nicer my foundation goes on afterwards..

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,038,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
This is not a cream exfoliant but a manual one: Clarisonic
Clarisonic | Clarisonic | Skin care brush from lead inventor of Sonicare

Both my daughter and I have one and really see the benefits on our faces. Initially it is more expensive, I think its $100-$150 I don't remember, but it lasts a lot longer than a tube of wash!
I have been eyeing those lately! Do they hurt? When you first use them, do they make your face red? How easy is it to clean and sanitize the brush/bristles part?

I'm noticing as I get older my skin changing. I never used to be a big believer in exfoliating, even had a dermatologist who said it did more harm than good so I never did for years (he said toner is bad for your skin, too). But, I'm slowly coming around and seeing the light!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Can't beat good old Queen Helene Oatmeal & Honey scrub, from the dollar store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty