Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Wait, wait, wait... since when have we done one INSTEAD of the other? Hell, as a man I can tell you that we've been told for CENTURIES to "not rape" and not to even think of thinking of women sexually, and we've been accused of rape when we have done no such thing. Sorry, but nowhere in the west has there been a push to warn girls INSTEAD of telling men not to.

Sorry, feminism has it's good points, but there's time when feminists go overboard and start lying about stuff like saying no one is telling men not to rape women.
http://www.excal.on.ca/news/dont-dress-like-a-****-toronto-cop/ (broken link)

This is what inspired the **** walks. This is not an uncommon view. INSTEAD of saying "men should not rape women because it is wrong," the officer said "women can avoid rape by not dressing like a ****."

In order to read the article, you'll have to change the asterisks to the proper letters, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I don't think you understand what **** walks are really about. It's not just about dressing how one wants, it's about ending victim-blaming in rape cases. Instead of teaching "don't rape," it always seems to be "don't wear short skirts, don't show any cleavage."

so they are are protesting for their right to consequence-free behavior? i don't understand.

Do they believe that what they wear, and what they do, and how they act, and where they go and when, has no impact on their likelihood of being raped?

do they think that if they walk around proclaiming their right to the impossible, that it will come true?

Last edited by le roi; 06-24-2011 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
so they are are protesting for their right to consequence-free behavior? i don't understand.

Do they believe that what they wear, and what they do, and how they act, and where they go and when, has no impact on their likelihood of being raped?

do they think that if they walk around proclaiming their right to the impossible, that it will come true?
Rape isn't really about what you're wearing or not wearing, or how you act. If you're flirting in a club with some guy but don't want to sleep with him, he doesn't reserve the right to rape you because of what you're wearing or because you were flirty. Victim blaming is wrong.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM

72 posts, read 105,216 times
Sorry, but I find this all in very bad taste. Men are already demonized enough in the media, now we have a bunch of women dressing like s**ts to make some sort of mass statement, as if so many men would want to rape them. Newsflash: most men aren't rapist and would never consider forcing themselves on any woman.

If anything, female is the power gender right now. A woman can be anything or anyone she wants, whether feminine or masculine in the western world. A woman can join the army, enter politics (almost had a female president and wish we did), or she can still be a housewife or be whoever she wants to be. Men have become constrained, forced to wear only dowdy, boring, uncomfortable clothing, even to the beach or swimming pool where god forbid, any part of our bodies are exposed. I'm not going to just blame feminism for this, as us men have done this to ourselves too and have created a society where men are repressed and unable to show emotion (why many men turn violent) and women are free.

As for the walk, all I see are a bunch of attention seekers. You want to protest? Protest for women's rights in countries like Saudi Arabia, where your sisters are still oppressed. Saudi women are probably shaking their heads in disarray at these "walks". Funny how these walks only seem popular in the Anglosphere nations too. Any excuse to make men out to be monsters, while wearing trashy clothes, I guess?

Society has become one big joke, from nonsense like this to popular culture. I cannot wait for the day when I am financially able to isolate myself from it all and live out my life in a log cabin somewhere in Vermont, with no television or Internet and just close friends around me.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:02 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
I agree. It's the pot calling the kettle black. It's not right for women to feel like it's OK to act flirty, wear flirty clothes, lead a guy on, and then ditch the guy. Just like it's never OK for anyone - male or female - to abuse someone sexually or otherwise. Neither behaviors are OK, and the s l u t walks to me seem to imply that it's OK for women to behave badly, and present themselves in any way they want without regard for the consequences of their choices, and I don't agree with that.

If I dress like a homeless person and stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign people are going to assume I'm a bum begging for handouts. If I dress suggestively and act flirty people are going to assume I'm asking for "it". It's not OK to rape a person who's asking for "it", but if you present yourself that way, you are putting yourself at greater risk of being abused because there are mentally disturbed people out there who will take advantage of other people.

Mentally disturbed people who see these s l u t walks as an opportunity to see women dressed like sluts or half-naked walking down the street, and if they had the chance, rape them.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Rape isn't really about what you're wearing or not wearing, or how you act.
really? so if you're drunk and stumbling down an alley after leaving the club at 2am, that's not increasing your risk of being raped, compared to sitting home on the couch?

Quote:
If you're flirting in a club with some guy but don't want to sleep with him, he doesn't reserve the right to rape you because of what you're wearing or because you were flirty.
right, obviously... i'm just not seeing how that is the point.

Last edited by le roi; 06-24-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
really? so if you're drunk and stumbling down an alley after leaving the club at 2am, that's not increasing your risk of being raped, compared to sitting home on the couch?
I didn't say that it wasn't increasing your risk, I said that just wanting sex is not generally the driving motivation for rape.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that it wasn't increasing your risk, I said that just wanting sex is not generally the driving motivation for rape.
you're right, it is a combination of being a sociopath, and wanting sex.

i just think that being a "sl*t" and saying you "shouldn"t have to deal with rape" is a lot like a guy defending his right to be a total jerk to everyone he meets without ever taking a physical beat down, or a person who walks out into traffic and "shouldn't have to deal with getting run over." They don't put "He had the right of way" on your tombstone.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Shakesville: Rape Culture 101

This is a good read about the reason for the **** walks.

Quote:
Rape culture is 1 in 6 women being sexually assaulted in their lifetimes. Rape culture is not even talking about the reality that many women are sexually assaulted multiple times in their lives. Rape culture is the way in which the constant threat of sexual assault affects women's daily movements. Rape culture is telling girls and women to be careful about what you wear, how you wear it, how you carry yourself, where you walk, when you walk there, with whom you walk, whom you trust, what you do, where you do it, with whom you do it, what you drink, how much you drink, whether you make eye contact, if you're alone, if you're with a stranger, if you're in a group, if you're in a group of strangers, if it's dark, if the area is unfamiliar, if you're carrying something, how you carry it, what kind of shoes you're wearing in case you have to run, what kind of purse you carry, what jewelry you wear, what time it is, what street it is, what environment it is, how many people you sleep with, what kind of people you sleep with, who your friends are, to whom you give your number, who's around when the delivery guy comes, to get an apartment where you can see who's at the door before they can see you, to check before you open the door to the delivery guy, to own a dog or a dog-sound-making machine, to get a roommate, to take self-defense, to always be alert always pay attention always watch your back always be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down for a moment lest you be sexually assaulted and if you are and didn't follow all the rules it's your fault.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM

72 posts, read 105,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I agree. It's the pot calling the kettle black. It's not right for women to feel like it's OK to act flirty, wear flirty clothes, lead a guy on, and then ditch the guy. Just like it's never OK for anyone - male or female - to abuse someone sexually or otherwise. Neither behaviors are OK, and the s l u t walks to me seem to imply that it's OK for women to behave badly, and present themselves in any way they want without regard for the consequences of their choices, and I don't agree with that.

If I dress like a homeless person and stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign people are going to assume I'm a bum begging for handouts. If I dress suggestively and act flirty people are going to assume I'm asking for "it". It's not OK to rape a person who's asking for "it", but if you present yourself that way, you are putting yourself at greater risk of being abused because there are mentally disturbed people out there who will take advantage of other people.

Mentally disturbed people who see these s l u t walks as an opportunity to see women dressed like sluts or half-naked walking down the street, and if they had the chance, rape them.
Great post. It is a double standard, very much so. Those women may think they're doing it for a greater good, but it just sets women and society in general too far back. The FACT is that if you dress like s l u t s, men (and other women who aren't so loose) are going to stare at you, yet I often here "why do guys keep staring at my ***?" (duh).

I don't see how any of this helps tackle rape or helps rape victims. If anything, it's counter-productive. It seems to me that a lot of these women love and crave the attention, perhaps because they're insecure. If you really want to shove a dagger in rape's proverbial heart, donate to charities that help rape victims, lobby your elected officials for tougher sentences. Go and protest for women in other countries who don't have rights.

These walks are for attention seeking misandrists, who love to believe that all men are monsters who want to rape you.

'nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty