Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My vanpool buddy is wearing off white or cream pants with a white printed shirt (thin purplish/grey lines but 90% white). Is this OK? I always thought you can't wear white and off white together, just like you can't wear brown shoes with black pants together or brown/black shoes/belt mismatch.

So, is he OK or shouldn't he be wearing something more contrasting with either the pants or the shirt?
not quite the same as the brown/black rule.

I don't recommend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Why dont you just ask your buddy? More than likely he'll tell you he doesnt give a you know what

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
And I ain't talking about Edward freaking Cullen either!
You mean the kid in Home Alone?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
In Summer, the 'rules' are relaxed. If it looks OK, then it IS OK. My guess is that it looks mismatched, and that the light trousers make his butt look flat, and his hips look as big and ugly as a Woman's. However, if he has wide Shoulders, a narrow Pelvis, and well-developed & toned Glutes, then the trousers are probably OK. And actually, a brighter white on top will create the subtle illusion of greater upper body mass. The choice of Tie, Belt (or suspenders), and Shoes could help pull things together. And maybe the Socks echo the Shirt's colors? So again: if it looks OK, then it IS OK.

A solid bright white shirt, with a definitely offwhite trouser would certainly be OK, assuming the shirt is a dense weave, so that his skin tone does not show through and make the white ambiguous. Creme Cashmere trousers and bright white shirts are fine in Winter. 'Natural' Silk trousers and bright white shirts are good in Summer.

As for 'no brown shoes with a black suit'..... Depends on the brown, and upon a lot of other factors (like whether you're Grey-collar and following a dress code). My Husband wears medium brown shoes with black suits rather frequently. Most of the suits are solids, but a couple have faint brown stripes. He'll wear the suit under a Natural Vicuna topcoat. A brown Alligator Belt, of course, or Suspenders trimmed in Brown Lizard. But he's tall, has a thirteen-inch drop from Jacket size to Waist, and is most definitely not subject to dress codes.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
A solid bright white shirt, with a definitely offwhite trouser would certainly be OK, assuming the shirt is a dense weave, so that his skin tone does not show through and make the white ambiguous. Creme Cashmere trousers and bright white shirts are fine in Wi
I meant in general, not specifically to his skin tone or season. Just like brown shoes and black pants.

What if someone wrote "If brown shoes with black pants looks OK, then it is OK."? While that may be one person's opinion, it is in general not "correct". That's what I am asking, is it "correct"?

Is there a rule out there against it? Is it on some list of "Top Ten Mens Fashion Mistakes"?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
I wouldn't do it, no.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
I think in certain outfits you can get away with cream pants and a white shirt...

but cream pants and a white shirt w/lavender stripes: umm, no.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM

If the fashion police didnt arrest him (literally) then it can be done. (It can be done in TN because we see all sorts of stuff)

Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Not my favorite combo, Charles.

Is this guy a transplant? 'Cause you sure don't see it much in SoCal. Not outside of the touristy areas.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not my favorite combo, Charles.

Is this guy a transplant? 'Cause you sure don't see it much in SoCal. Not outside of the touristy areas.
No - even worse than a transplant. He's an engineer.

Transplant

Engineer (not him though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty