Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
My mother was a model and taught me how to wear makeup - and to make it look natural, like enhancements. MY DH is pastel-color-blind, and most women - especially those on TV and in movies - to him look as though they are wearing clown makeup; garish and clotted and overdone. Yet he didn't even suspect that I wore makeup until after we were married and he saw me putting it on.

I used to wear makeup in my very public life; I varied between Clinique and Merle Norman. When I developed lupus lesions, I couldn't wear any at all; it inflamed the lesions. So now I have to go totally without. I actually had one insensitive (and heavily-made-up) supervisor spend 20 minutes telling me how I "needed" to wear makeup for my job. Fortunately, we moved to a farm and the horses and cows care more about what's in my feed bucket than on my face...

WHAT? "Oh sorry I have this LUPUS and can't wear makeup." Isnt a good enough excuse?!?! I would of kicked her in her deadbrained head!

I think some people really have a hard time finding the right colors. I love makeup so I don't mind making custom blends. But I could see how that would be annoying for someone who didn't want to deal with it. The wrong colors DO look like a mask.

One of those makeup things that never looks quite right is when people highlight the inner corner of the eye. Naturally that highlight is there from clear fresh skin that is as oily as it should be. It just looks to flat with most products.

I think that makeup is just like art paints. Cheap paints look like crap but thats what most people experiment with and buy. Not many people have time or money to play with 90$ foundations etc.

I also think its the type of personal preference. My brother thinks I look better with makeup. But he dates girly girls. The fiance likes me naked faced or mineral because he likes my skin. I like it both ways as long as I don't look tired. LOL

I do see some people out where I just want to attack them with a makeup wipe and fix their face. I do not like those masks at all. Teens and early 20's seem to be the worst. And there is always that random grandma you see that really packs it on. But at least they can give the excuse of failing eyesight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
The problem is that some women think they look "natural" and that they have enhanced their features, when all they have done is plastered on too, too, much.

"If we could only see ourselves as others see us" is an old saying. But when it comes to how much makeup is too much, it still has a lot of truth.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There have been plenty of threads on here about men not liking makeup on women, in every instance I can think of, those men were "off".
Yep, I am way "off", and proud of it, then.

To me, make-up is a mask. It covers up natural beauty. It is dictated by society that makes insecure women think they are not real women without it.

Weird, everything that CMP said...

Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post

To me, make-up is a mask. It covers up natural beauty. It is dictated by society that makes insecure women think they are not real women without it.

Generalize much?
I am one of the least insecure people I know, and I wear makeup, sooooooo......that kinda blows your theory right outta the water.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post

You're assuming that all women are naturally beautiful. You're probably assuming that, because you're used to seeing the ones who are -not- naturally beautiful, making themselves -appear- to be naturally beautiful with makeup.

As I said in another thread not long ago, about the exact same thing:

I don't -have- eyebrows. My eyelashes are extremely sparse. I have splotchy skin with scars from a botched enzyme peel years ago. I also have discolored skin under my eyes that makes me look like I'm exhausted. If I don't wear makeup, I look like a mutant and people -do- stare, and ask me if I'm sick, and strangers keep their distance because they don't want to "catch" whatever it is that I "have" (which is uneven skin coloring, a couple of scars, and no eyebrows and no noticeable eyelashes).

And so I wear eye liner, eyebrow pencil, and usually a dusting of facial powder at the very least, if I'm leaving the privacy of my home and yard. It has nothing to do with self esteem. I'm happy in my skin. I make it presentable because having to explain to people that I'm not overtired, I'm not sick, and I'm feeling fine, every day, is inconvenient.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
^^ yeah! I love my nearly clear skin and my eyes, but I have dark circles and a few small pimples. And I use eyeliner to define my lash line because without it, people think I'm 12!!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I would understand if it looked trashy and was too heavy, but when it looks natural, it should not be thought of as a mask but rather an enhancer on your natural features?

Would you agree or disagree?
Agree!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ah, I see.
I really think its no ones business, its between a woman and her mirror.
There have been plenty of threads on here about men not liking makeup on women, in every instance I can think of, those men were "off".
What exactly does "OFF" mean? Crazy or Oblivious???

Anyway, I have nothing against make-up, but it is a mask nonetheless.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're assuming that all women are naturally beautiful. You're probably assuming that, because you're used to seeing the ones who are -not- naturally beautiful, making themselves -appear- to be naturally beautiful with makeup.

As I said in another thread not long ago, about the exact same thing:

I don't -have- eyebrows. My eyelashes are extremely sparse. I have splotchy skin with scars from a botched enzyme peel years ago. I also have discolored skin under my eyes that makes me look like I'm exhausted. If I don't wear makeup, I look like a mutant and people -do- stare, and ask me if I'm sick, and strangers keep their distance because they don't want to "catch" whatever it is that I "have" (which is uneven skin coloring, a couple of scars, and no eyebrows and no noticeable eyelashes).

And so I wear eye liner, eyebrow pencil, and usually a dusting of facial powder at the very least, if I'm leaving the privacy of my home and yard. It has nothing to do with self esteem. I'm happy in my skin. I make it presentable because having to explain to people that I'm not overtired, I'm not sick, and I'm feeling fine, every day, is inconvenient.
Mask much.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
I don't wear makeup anymore because I work in a clean room environment. After getting a job where I am literally not allowed to wear makeup, I just kind of stopped wearing it when I'm off as well.

... Unless I feel like wearing makeup. I don't need makeup. I feel fine without it. But if I want to look a certain way, then I'll put some eyeliner on my top lid and some concealer if my lids look too dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty