U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,082 times

Advertisements

When you have an invitation to a Cocktail Party what do you wear exactly?

It has a 7.30pm start so it's not afternoon..it's evening...

It's not smart casual..it's specifically cocktail....

Would pants still be ok for a lady to wear? Or should i wear a very formal dress? i do not wear formal dress before , i usually wear simple t-shirt and pant , really do not know how to choose formal dress, so i want to try karen millen dress,can you give me some suggestions which dress to choose? And for a guy - would they wear a suit?Where i can buy the most nice suit?

What do you think?

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-05-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: New members may not post links, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Traditionally "cocktail" would not be formal as in a full length dress but something simple no longer than knee length (the little black dress is the quintessential cocktail outfit). Nice tailored pants and a jacket in lieu of a dress would be fine. For men, it would be a business suit or a pair of slacks and a sport coat. A place like Mens Wearhouse can set him up with the right look.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 AM

9,451 posts, read 7,600,059 times
A dress is EXPECTED for a woman at a real cocktail party. Go to Saks or Nordstrom and visit the salon department and they will advise you on the proper dress for a cocktail party.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,137,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A dress is EXPECTED for a woman at a real cocktail party. Go to Saks or Nordstrom and visit the salon department and they will advise you on the proper dress for a cocktail party.

Good advice Kevin!

A dress is expected and you can find wonderful cocktail dresses at Saks, Nordstrom, Macys, Neiman Marcus and Dillards.

If you are on a tight budget try White House/Black Market.

I hope you have a wonderful time at your cocktail party.

All the best! Mrs. X

Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Good advice Kevin!

A dress is expected and you can find wonderful cocktail dresses at Saks, Nordstrom, Macys, Neiman Marcus and Dillards.

All the best! Mrs. X
Depends somewhat on the woman's age. I think an older woman could get away with nice pants. Also, silk pajama style pants with heels would be very acceptable in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM

9,451 posts, read 7,600,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Good advice Kevin!

All the best! Mrs. X
My wife has trained me well.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM

538 posts, read 1,255,977 times
I might be totally off, but having been present at many cocktail parties at work (behind the scenes), a cocktail party requires you to be in a little black dress, no bra, and very revealing when you bend over--should be prepared to flash everything by "accident."

I am actually somewhat serious with this reply--but maybe I work with a bunch of high-end skanks and I don't know any better...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,137,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Depends somewhat on the woman's age. I think an older woman could get away with nice pants. Also, silk pajama style pants with heels would be very acceptable in my opinion.
It depends on the host or hostess of the cocktail party but all the cocktail parties I have been to, no woman regardless of age wore pants. They preferred Coco Chanel type suits dressed up with lots of jewels if they did not want to wear a dress.

If the invite said cocktail attire optional I would differ and maybe silk pants would be acceptable.

Party Dress Codes Etiquette from Evite

Or the op can follow Emily post...

Attire Guide: Dress Codes from Casual to White Tie-

I would suggest the OP to check with another person who is invited and see what they are wearing.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 PM

One difference may be if it's a work function, say at a restaurant, versus a home get together amongst friends. I'd definitely say go for the dress if the former but you may have a bit more latitude if the latter.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,429,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylin View Post
When you have an invitation to a Cocktail Party what do you wear exactly?

It has a 7.30pm start so it's not afternoon..it's evening...

It's not smart casual..it's specifically cocktail....

Would pants still be ok for a lady to wear? Or should i wear a very formal dress? i do not wear formal dress before , i usually wear simple t-shirt and pant , really do not know how to choose formal dress, so i want to try karen millen dress,can you give me some suggestions which dress to choose? And for a guy - would they wear a suit?Where i can buy the most nice suit?

What do you think?
I think summer cocktail means you can be slightly more casual and not have a dress on you you can't breathe in or a suit making your date stuffy and hot.

Charlie Jade Dress, Short Sleeve Silk Cutout Belted - Dresses - Women's - Macy's
with:
Christian Louboutin nude patent calf 'Altadama 100' peep toe pumps at Bluefly
(blue silk dress with nude pumps)

Cha Cha Vente Dress, Sleeveless Cowlneck Flared Jersey - Dresses - Women's - Macy's
with:
Yves Saint Laurent cognac eelskin 'Carolina 105' platform slingbacks at Bluefly
(navy jersey dress with cognac eelskin leather slingback)

And dress it up or down with whatever jewelry,purse and hair you pick to go with it. Keep your legs bare. Exfoliate and hydrate well. Keep a little travel lotion in your purse for middle of the party powder you nose/hydrate your legs touch up.

Men:
BCBG Suit, Black Stripe Slim Fit - Suits & Suit Separates - Men's - Macy's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty