Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long do MOST of your shoes last?
Man -- most of my shoes don't last over a year of wear 1 5.26%
Man -- most make it to a year or so or a bit more 2 10.53%
Man -- most make it to around 2 years 0 0%
Man -- more than 2 years 7 36.84%
Woman -- most of my shoes don't last over a year of wear 0 0%
Woman -- most make it to a year or so or a bit more 1 5.26%
Woman -- most make it to around 2 years 2 10.53%
Woman -- more than 2 years 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,988,944 times

Advertisements

It seems that men's shoes in general last longer than women's. I am curious to know if this is true.

On the one hand, it's true that many women's shoes (with heels, straps) etc. are meant to endure less rough abuse by their nature than men's shoes (dress shoes, boots etc.).
But on the other hand, there are more types of women's shoes, many of which do not get regular use, while men typically only wear a few types which get more regular use, so this would tend to favour women's shoes lasting longer.

But even when it comes to the same type of shoe (so not something like women's flats vs. men's work shoes), I remember once a young lady who often wears running shoes/sneakers telling me she prefers buying men's sneakers since they last so much longer.

Are men and women's shoes ultimately meant/made to last differently by their design/nature (this seems somewhat like)? Or is it the way they are worn, how quickly men or women hold onto a pair of shoes before they are ruined, or how quickly they are replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,595,522 times
I'm a guy and only my NB running shoes need to be replaced every yr. In fact when I buy casual sneaks or chukkas or boots, it's only because the old ones I'm replacing are kind of grimy or scuffed up or I'm just tired of the colorway. And with good quality men's dress shoes you can basically take them to a cobbler and have them resoled & even the uppers can be refinished (at the factory in the case of Allen Edmonds).

I don't browse the ladies racks at Nordstroms at all, but their shoes seem to be built with softer leather, fabrics, breakable straps & have a lot more open-toe to give it a more delicate look. And that affects the inherent strength. But for many women, shoes are a seasonal accessory to be replaced at whim or pleasure, so does it really matter? lol

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,988,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
But for many women, shoes are a seasonal accessory to be replaced at whim or pleasure, so does it really matter? lol
Yeah that could make sense, but on the flip side, I thought if more women "love" (being a bit stereotypical here but) or take care of their shoes than men wouldn't that mean that they would take more care to avoid ruining them, since they are meant for show/to look good more than men's (which are more functional but meant to last longer). So it could go both ways.

I have also heard more women than men say they are sad about throwing away an old pair... lol.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
I can easily go two years (male). The problem with women's shoes is they get tired of them, they never get worn out because they just get a bigger closet and pile them up and forget about them.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,496,554 times
1-2 years (I'm a male)

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,041,498 times
womens shoes wear out all the time. Thats why I have so many

I've had many a shoe ruined due to heels getting caught in cracks and so forth.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,612,165 times
12 months are the maximum allowed time for dress shoes. Weekend casual sneakers can go 24 or more as they aren't worn often. Anything more would be a stretch.

I have about 4 dress shoes from J&M alone that are doing okay after 11 months, considering I revamped them last August I have lost faith in other shoe makers, I wonder if they can do as good as J&M for the corporate rats.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,001,849 times
Mine last two years or more.

Probably because 1) I buy good quality shoes and 2) I own a lot of shoes and I'm not wearing the same shoes day in, day out.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,342,161 times
I'd generally say about 2 years...sometimes more. It also depends on whether it's a casual shoe or a dress shoe. I have a difficult foot to fit so I tend to buy good quality shoes that are comfortable for my casual everyday wear. Those last 2-3 years. Dress shoes....I don't wear often or for long periods so...theoretically, they could last indefinitely or at least until they are no longer stylish or my feet have changed just enough that they are no longer comfortable. Tennis shoes/sneakers - 1-2 years is about it.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM

387 posts, read 404,739 times
Tims-atleast 2-3 yrs
Dress Shoes- 2-5 yrs
Sneakers-Varies...One thing that I've noticed is that buying a good pair of insoles (Dr. Scholls) really rejuvenates sneakers. Even when buying a new pair I replace their insoles with my own and it's like you're walking on a cloud,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty